PDA

View Full Version : Whore!

Tantal
01-18-2005, 12:47 PM
I bought my YFZ in early May, rode it the same way from then until now w/o a problem. Well, today, I wake up and get ready to go ride... the ****ing battery is dead!
:mad: :grr: :cuss:

The cause...
I really don't know why this happened now (Note: EVERY time I ride I keep the lights on as is recommended). Maybe, due to the cold temps? The temps dropped lower than they have all year in the past few days - this is all I could think of...

How to fix it...
I'm aware that you can't charge it this way, pamper its *** that way, etc.; so, how exactly do I charge/correct this pig/issue without making the problem worse.

Any input would be great, thanks.

jshtex
01-18-2005, 01:27 PM
Do you have a service manual, there is section on how to properly test the battery. One dead battery doesn't mean that your battery has gone bad, or that you have major electrical troubles.

You could buy a trickle charger and keep it pluged in when your not riding. Yamaha recomends an Optimate III.

Syrus
01-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Buy Hook up 597 Double A+ Batterys and boost that bad boy..

Ok but seriously, after most lil batteries like those crap out on yeah, they're done. Id take it to the dealership, explain what happend and they might help ya out, but you'll probly have to buy a new battery, best thing to do. No more worries and praying she'll start the next day :p

SRH
01-18-2005, 04:10 PM
mine was dead from sitting all last winter, i charged it in the spring and it was fine all summer...colder temperature it will barely turn over sometimes... its -5 in ny right now

Quad18star
01-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Yeah cold temps will do that to small batteries . I've had a few not work cuz of cold weather .

Tantal
01-18-2005, 06:41 PM
I pop started the sum ***** later this afternoon. Took it down the street and back. Going to look into getting the issue dealt w/ tomorrow so I can ride... thanks for the replies.

Punk'd
01-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Eh man.. I remember those problems.. Glad my 450 is a kick start. If im not mistaking you can get a kicker to add on a yfz to. Goodluck with your battery

K_Fulk
01-18-2005, 11:10 PM
If necessary bring your battery inside in the warm. When it gets as cold as its been lately batteries loose power quick. I was at a race sunday and the cold drained my digi camera battery in 5 minutes.

I usually keep my battery tender hooked up to mine this time of the year.

robman
01-20-2005, 11:14 AM
The yfz uses a gel battery,i heard it breaks down faster than liquid batteries in the cold.So start it up once or twice a week and let it run for a while or take the dam battery out.

Shocka400ex
01-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Man, I was just *****in about it being to hot here in Phoenix with highs of 80 degrees. I give you guys props for riding in those weather conditions.

shep
01-22-2005, 08:03 AM
:bandit: those are a gel battery and they make gel battery charger you can get through your dealer for about $65. thats crazy but they do work well!

shep
01-22-2005, 08:03 AM
:bandit: those are a gel battery and they make gel battery charger you can get through your dealer for about $65. thats crazy but they do work well!

creechfan
01-23-2005, 11:16 AM
those are a gel battery and they make gel battery charger you can get through your dealer for about $65. thats crazy but they do work well!

will a battery tender JR work too??

hondakiller
01-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Yamaha sells a rectifier kit that fixes the charging issue.

BUCK442
01-24-2005, 03:11 PM
My bat is getting toasty by the fire place as we speak.!:D

mountaineer
01-24-2005, 06:37 PM
Get yourself a battery tender I use on evey winter with no problems ever:D

MY450R
01-31-2005, 01:14 PM
its been below zero her for the past two weeks and mine started first kick
buy a honda
j-k man but yamaha has a fix for that problem
i think they give ya a new rectifier and a differnt battery