PDA

View Full Version : Tie Rod Ends Hit A-arms

frozenh2o
01-18-2005, 08:44 AM
I've got +2 +1 Burgard a-arms on my 300ex and the steering tie rod nut hits the lower a-arm at full lock when the suspension is unloaded. I have added steering stops, but the turning radius now sucks. Any fix for this? Am I missing something? or does everybody just let the contact happen?

300exOH
01-18-2005, 08:53 AM
I haven't noticed this with mine. I'll have to check it out when my garage thaws a little. I wouldn't think the contact would be a problem since you normally wouldn't be turning that sharp with the suspension fully unloaded. I noticed a decrease in turning radius because of the extra width but it isn't too bad.

cdalejef
01-18-2005, 03:10 PM
What shocks are you running?

frozenh2o
01-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Jeff, I'm running 400ex length Elka's with a custom top mount.

I can see what you're thinking... maybe my installation has more droop than the arms were designed for. Hmmmmm... I might need shorter shocks, taller top mount, limit straps...

If my top mount were taller it seems like the tires would hit the fenders at full compression.

Thoughts?

cdalejef
01-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Ya, thats what I was thinking. When we do that conversion, we have custom shocks built. You can raise your mount just make sure your frame doesn't get too close to the ground under full compression. I wouldn't worry about the tires rubbing the fenders so much as the frame hitting the ground.

redrunner
01-18-2005, 08:34 PM
Hey Frozen, I didn't notice anything when I had them on but like 300ex says turning fully unloaded may not happen often. 300ex is running the same basic set up I had and you have now, but definetly keep an eye on it.
How are the colors holding up?

300exOH
01-19-2005, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Ya, thats what I was thinking. When we do that conversion, we have custom shocks built. You can raise your mount just make sure your frame doesn't get too close to the ground under full compression. I wouldn't worry about the tires rubbing the fenders so much as the frame hitting the ground.

Jeff- How do you check for frame clearance under full compression?

I'm not sure but I think my shocks are a little shorter than 400ex shocks. The custom length shocks shouldn't allow the tire to rub the fender but I have noticed that there is a huge amount of droop but it keeps the tires on the trail even under hard acceleration.

cdalejef
01-19-2005, 08:22 AM
You'll need to remove the springs and set it on the ground.

300exOH
01-19-2005, 08:36 AM
If I measured correctly when I ordered the shocks should I even need to worry about it?
Also wouldn't setting the preload affect bottoming resistance?

frozen- Sorry to steal the thread but I thought the info would be helpful to everyone.

cdalejef
01-19-2005, 08:55 AM
if you did all your measurement correctly then you should be fine. Preload has little effect on bottoming resistance.

300exOH
01-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
if you did all your measurement correctly then you should be fine. Preload has little effect on bottoming resistance.

I'm about 95% sure I measured correctly.:o Providing I understood the build sheet the way Elka intended. Thanks for the good info. So bottoming resitance is all spring rate combined with valving.

I was also wondering where to measure the ride height on the 300ex? I measured the rear at the footpegs but I noticed the frame angles slightly upward toward the front just after the engine mounts and angles even more under the a arms. I'm not exactly sure which spot to measure from. Thanks for the help.

cdalejef
01-19-2005, 11:03 AM
The arrow under the engine before the frame turns up.

300exOH
01-19-2005, 11:10 AM
That's what I thought. Thanks:cool:

frozenh2o
01-19-2005, 01:50 PM
OK, so to properly design the 300ex front suspension for maximum travel, we've established the limits:

1. Maximum droop is limited by when the steering tie-rod ends contact the a-arm at full lock.

2. Maximum bump travel is limited by the frame contacting the ground. I would guess at least 2 inches of clearance would be required to allow for the front tire to compress on landing, without smacking the frame.

Now just measure the distance between the shock mounts at both these limits to determine the required shock length and travel. Next, go order some new custom length Elka's.

Let's say my 400ex length Elka's are too long and/or have too much stroke. Can the shock be modified to reduce the extended length?

300exOH
01-20-2005, 06:54 AM
When you order the custom Elka's they will send you a build sheet that explains how to measure for the correct shock length/travel. As long as your measurements are right then your shocks should be right on. I don't think you can modify the 400ex shock without basically building a new one anyhow. It sounds like it may be easier for you to have another shock mount made to match the length of shock you have. You may still have to revalve the shock to compensate for the angle of the shock since it will be almost vertical.