PDA

View Full Version : Need some info (pivot bolt)

02Yellow400
01-17-2005, 08:18 PM
I just got my new frame today and started to take the quad apart so i can swap it over. Everything is going fine till i get to the darn pivot bolt. It turns but will not budge. I hit with a sledge / air hammer...etc. So now im fearing the worst. We are going to try a 20lb slide hammer tommorw by welding a flat peice onto the right side nut and using the clamp thing. But if that does not work im going to assume the the bolt siezed itself to the collar of the bearings. So my question is if i cut the bolt and am able to remove the swingarm..

1) how do i remove the bolt from the case.
2) how do i remove the bolt from the swingarm and bearing without damaging the swingarm?

I already did a search and can not find anything about removing the bearings/bolt. Thanks for all the help

44oEX
01-18-2005, 08:34 AM
hit really hard.

next time you install it. grease it.:devil:

Rico
01-18-2005, 08:53 AM
The Collars it's seized to are inside the swingarm. So if you cut betwen the swingarm and frame and between the swingarm and rear of the motor (both sides), you can pull the swinger off and the rest of the pivot bolt inside the back of the motor can be knocked out with ease.

Hope all that makes sense and yes the siezed pivot bolt sucks ***.

02Yellow400
01-18-2005, 02:36 PM
lol i knew all this was comming. It was just a matter of time... hey rico how is that pivolt bolt from the quadshop holding up? I gotta call there and order one tommorow and was wondering how its been treating you

beak7707
01-18-2005, 03:30 PM
I had to do exactly what rice said on my 250R. It works and comes out just fine, I know after my fight with mine I grease mine all the time now.
good luck

02Yellow400
01-18-2005, 08:57 PM
what did you cut it with? I went back at it again with this thing tonight and still no luck. We cut the exposed part that comes out the right side of the case with a plasma cutter. And if you used a sawzall how did you get in the tight spots? This is really getting annoying cause i cant finish swapping stuff over to the new frame untill i get the motor out.

02Yellow400
01-19-2005, 09:33 PM
anyone?

cals400ex
01-19-2005, 10:24 PM
i just beat mine. i took a small sledge and beat and beat. it finally came loose. the bolt was ruined when i was done, but it came out. i am not sure where to tell you to cut. i didn't do that, but it may be needed if it is in there really tight.

Rico
01-20-2005, 06:42 AM
The quadshop bolt has held up great and after it being in there for 2 years and riding in some really bad conditions, it came out like butter this winter. I pumped grease in it about every month and turned it several times after pumping the grease in it.

Dust_1503
01-20-2005, 09:39 AM
How much do those greasable pivot bolts run? All my quad is waiting for right now is the pivot bolt so she can roll again, if i can't afford one right now i'll make sure to get one later.

02Yellow400
01-20-2005, 02:26 PM
I called the quadshop and a few other places..no one can seem to get their hands on the greaseable bolts right now. So i just ordered another stocker to hold me over for a month or 2 till i can get the greasable one. And that damn bolt is still stuck

Rico
01-20-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by 02Yellow400
I called the quadshop and a few other places..no one can seem to get their hands on the greaseable bolts right now. So i just ordered another stocker to hold me over for a month or 2 till i can get the greasable one. And that damn bolt is still stuck

Jeff should be able to get one:confused: