PDA

View Full Version : new to this world

poone1
01-17-2005, 07:32 PM
I am new to the world or Quads, and I have been reading all the posts about mods and things. I just picked up a stock 2002 400ex, I have questions, I know that they have already been post but there are so many threads.

1. What is the first mod I should do.

2. What mod gives you the most bang for you buck

thanx

PIMP
01-17-2005, 07:35 PM
1. a pipe :D
2. a pipe
the exhaust is the best first thing you can buy to your quad no matter what! :devil:

crazyelece
01-17-2005, 07:49 PM
I would disagree, if you are new to quads the first things you should buy are more safety oriented. I recommend hand guards and nerf bars and mabye even a kill switch. You will also want to look into handlebars with different bends because nothing is more important than being comfortable. Then I would start protecting the quad with skid plates. After you have riden for awhile and gotten used to the quad you will be able to tell if you need anymore power. If you do decide for more power you should do the intake as well as the exhaust. Get a good filter, a jet kit, and an exhuast. You won't know what setup will be best for you though until you understand what your particular riding style is.

nosliw
01-17-2005, 08:28 PM
SUSPENSION

boystoys
01-18-2005, 04:27 AM
the first an probally the cheapest thing you can buy is a full skid.. about 100 bucks... i am so glad i bought mine... matter of fact i took it off during winter cleaning and there are some preety good gashes in it that probally would have did minor damage to something if i hadnt had it... plus it helps in deep woods ridding.. you can just slide over large fallen trees and stuff instead of getting hung up....

your new and you will probally be hitting alot of stuff..lol so like mentioned befor safety gear is pretty imporant too....

GOOD LUCK..

and dont get discourageed...... :D

and btw where are you at in Ohio... i am rite outside of Columbus in Galloway/Grove City area...

400exnac
01-18-2005, 05:46 AM
1. Air filter
2. Pipe

01-18-2005, 06:19 AM
suspension and a full pipe for sure

QuAdEr 317
01-18-2005, 01:44 PM
1)Shocks
2)A arms
3)Axle
4)Pipe

boystoys
01-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by QuAdEr 317
1)Shocks
2)A arms
3)Axle
4)Pipe

:confused: interseting....

shocks are very pricie..

and remember this guy is a newbie to quads.... thats why i suggested safety gear first... learn to ride then buy goodies...:D

JDiablo
01-18-2005, 02:08 PM
well first get used to the quad,learn the quad,and learn what mods are you going to need
What type of riding do you do?
If i had a stock quad first thing for me would be
Nerfs with bigger pegs,kill switch,handlebars
Then i would go with exhaust,air filter jet kit
Then Tires,rims
Then axle,front a-arms
then i would go with shocks
Trhen motor work:devil:

poone1
01-18-2005, 04:13 PM
why is everyone replacing the handle bars? Does that really make that much of a difference?

boystoys
01-18-2005, 04:22 PM
i think it just puts you in a more comfertable ridding position...

Where are you at in ohio?

JDiablo
01-18-2005, 04:27 PM
stock handlebars arent all that strong,and they replace them yes for a more comfortable posotion and for the realiabilty over stock

crazyelece
01-18-2005, 05:07 PM
If the stock bend feels comfortable don't worry about replacing them until they bend. But the stock bars are usually designed for the so called "average" rider and most people don't fit that description. If you are taller than normal, shorter than normal, have long or short arms, back problems, etc. some of the other bends available are more comfortable and let you enjoy riding longer without getting exhausted.

mud390
01-18-2005, 06:03 PM
I would recommend a full skid as well. I have one on my 2002, as well as A arm skids and swing arm skid and it has saved my bike from more damage that I care to imagine. If you do a lot of woods or trail riding, a skid would be high on my list.

Kris

wilkin250r
01-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Ride your quad. Get some seat time. If you are truly new to quads, then you should get some seat time before anything else. If this is your first quad ever, it should be a few months at least before you start thinking about upgrades. The only upgrades you should ever consider in the first few months are controls, handlebars and such, things that make you more comfortable on the machine.

Seriously, if you haven't learned to swim, don't jump in the deep end. Spend some time in the shallows.

After you have some seat time, which will be MORE than a week, then start thinking about upgrades and modifications.

mojoe2878
01-18-2005, 07:41 PM
i agree with everyone else on here about getting some more safety type gear for the quad first.
if it doesnt already have them, then the very first thing i would get is a set of nerf's, theres nothing like having your foot slip off the peg and the back tire grabbing ahold of it and damn near tearing it off, ive been there twice and a set of nerfs will pretty much keep that from happening.

poone1
01-18-2005, 07:50 PM
with the Nerfs do i have to get different pegs?

DaleJrFan
01-18-2005, 07:57 PM
i too agree with getting use to the quad before you upgrade, heck you may not like it!! but to awnser your question, when the time is right, GET NEW FRONT SHOCKS first!! I am kind of bias here cause I have been riding stock shocks on the same model quad you just bought and they SUCK!! Some good aftermarket shocks(Works is reliable and cheap) will improve the comfort of your ride by 250%!! That is my opinion about the bang for you buck question and as for another good improvement, for sure get a K&N air filter and a pipe to go with it.

DaleJrFan
01-18-2005, 07:59 PM
As for the nerf question, depends on what you like to ride with. I have AC pro pegs and they are great but not necessary.

397ccEX
01-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Pending on what riding style you have you would need diff mods for diff places
If your ridin woods/trails SKIDS are needed
That is the main type of riding i do and skids SAVE!
I will let the track riders tell you what should be your first mod but in my opinion get seat time save your money then find out what mod would suit you best
GOOD LUCK ;)