PDA

View Full Version : polishing steel??

fasterblaster09
01-17-2005, 06:39 PM
everyone tells me if i polish my 300ex swingarm(steel),it would rust lie kcrazy?...did anyone ever polish steel?...did it rust?

Bubba
01-17-2005, 06:43 PM
YES it will rust...i did my 300ex gas cap once...its looked awesome but the next day it had already started to surface rust. i told you if you want to do anything to the swinger or frame, pc would be the best

fasterblaster09
01-17-2005, 06:48 PM
YES but pol;urethane wouldnt help?...i dont have 1$$ to spend.and if i powdercoat just the swingarm,it will look liek crap.

kicken250x
01-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
YES but pol;urethane wouldnt help?...i dont have 1$$ to spend.and if i powdercoat just the swingarm,it will look liek crap.

then if you polished just the swing arm it would look like crap, right? its only logical....why do you want to change it anyway?

fasterblaster09
01-17-2005, 07:02 PM
im tired of that ol' stock look..i want it lookin nice.but if i can polish my swingarm,i could polish my whoel frame,and it would be cheaper.

kicken250x
01-17-2005, 07:20 PM
you cant polish it though...sadly...if you could youd see them left and right cause we all know shiny is better! if you want to spend money on it...make it faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cause we all know faster is better than shiny...:devil:

flyin#5
01-17-2005, 08:37 PM
unless you take your quad down to the frame every day and polish it.. it'l rust. shovel a driveway and buy some spray paint if you really want to change the colors that much. just paint it right and use plenty of clearcoat.

TheFontMaster
01-17-2005, 08:38 PM
no no no no very bad idea you will have a total rus fest on your hands.

You asked about poly eurithane. While yes that or clear coating it would stop the rusting. But and this is a big BUT Whenever and wherever you get a scratch or a chip in the clear it will rust in that area. There is no way to avoid it. You can't polish steel, and if you do it will rust.