PDA

View Full Version : I Have A Question!!!!!!!

MXRACER86
01-17-2005, 06:05 PM
I want to start doing Endurance racing. My question is that I want to use my MX 400EX, But it has zero-preload shocks. If I take off my 18 inch tires and put on the 20 inch tires do you think I will be good enough to race?

MXRACER86
01-17-2005, 06:06 PM
By endurance racing , I mean "12 Hours of ATV America" and races like that.

44oEX
01-17-2005, 06:08 PM
yeah sure it could be a little stiff but I use my mx500ex for trails so it's all good

MXRACER86
01-17-2005, 06:18 PM
so you don't think thAT THE ZEROPRELOAD SHOCKS WON'T BE A PROBLEM?

44oEX
01-18-2005, 08:04 AM
why would they be a problem???

I say don't worry about it. like I said they might be a little stiff since they are set up for big jump ( mx ) but unless you have money for the softer shocks. I would stay with does. like I said I run elkas that are set up for mx on the trails. I don't have the money to go out and buy XC shock and just change them every time I do mx.

You just have to learn to work with what you have unless you full of $$$

wilkin250r
01-18-2005, 10:49 AM
The problem will be the actual setup, more than the zero-preload. If your shocks are set up for MX, generally they will be a little stiffer than an XC setup, and thus, will probably tire you out quicker.

Think about the different racing styles. In MX, you are pounding, beating the heck out of your quad and suspension for 15 minutes. From double jumps to big whoop sections, everything is specifically designed to be a major hit. Your suspension has to be stiffer to handle those kinds of major hits.

In XC, you've got lots of irregular terrain, rutts, ditches, rocks, roots, things like that. Generally, you're not going to be hitting any 2ft tall rocks, whearas the whoops on a MX track are usually a couple feet tall. You're not going to have the same major hits as you would find on an MX track. As such, XC setup is usually softer, focusing more on soaking up smaller bumps and making the ride more comfortable, and allowing the rider to race longer, because XC races are seldom only 15 minutes long.

The zero preload will have some effect, however. ZPS is ideal for motocross, because most of you suspension abuse comes from landing jumps. You are almost always leaving the ground before you compress your suspension, and thus your ZPS system has a chance to fully extend your shocks before you land. In XC racing, most of your suspension travel occurs BEFORE you leave the ground. As you come up on a rock or bump, your suspension does not have a chance to fully extend before you hit it. As such, with a ZPS setup, you're not getting the benefit of the FULL shock travel.