PDA

View Full Version : Short, vented gas cap tubes

fwhite02
01-17-2005, 04:14 PM
My son's 400ex started this morning and ran for a few minutes then died. We got it started again and it would run ok for a short while and then die where it was at.

He gave up on riding today, but a couple hours later, we started it and it ran fine for 10 minutes. He loaded up and headed out. When he reached Croom (riding park) the results were the same, started and ran for a few minutes and then died.

Finally, Eric (a friend from RTM motorcycles) suggested that those short hoses with the vent cap might cause problems if clogged. Ben unscrewed the cap and it started fine. He replaced the hose with a normal overflow vent hose and it ran fine the rest of the day.

Boy, I'm glad I don't have to start changing the plug, cleaning the carb, etc.

Thought this was an unusual problem (at least for me).

397ccEX
01-17-2005, 07:47 PM
so are u not recomendin the no hose attchments?

fwhite02
01-18-2005, 04:07 AM
My son liked the way they look. I don't.

I think they work fine, but it's another cleaning/maintenance step to make sure they don't clog.

MarkyNark
01-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Mod Quad has some very cool caps with the one way valve pressed into the cap where the hose is attached. If you put a hose on that, and run it like you would any other hose, the likelyhood of a clog is virtually impossible.

A one way valve is pretty important, especially on a roll over to keep the fuel in the tank.

The stubby one way valves generally work well. I suppose its possible to get sand and or dirt up in those - better there than in your tank.