PDA

View Full Version : How much should I pay for 86 TRX 250R??

RingoYFZ450
01-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Ok, I stumbled upon a 86 TRX 250R in not so good of shape. I would like to know how much to offer the guy for it. Here is what I know about it. It hasnt been ran in 2yrs, it has been sitting out in a field rotting away. The plastic needs to be replaced but would work. It has a Bills pipe on it, holeshot tires all the way around, the tread is good on the tires, beadlock rims in the back stock on the front. The frame has been welded right behind the left A-arm no other cracks that I could tell. It is missing a few of the motor mount bolts. All the mounts are in tack. The guy said he tried changing the oil about 6 months ago and strip'd the drain plug screw. So there is no drain plug in it. I think a HileyCoil would fix the drain plug issue, but not sure. Also the left front tire would not spin when we pulled it out of the weeds. Dont know if maybe the caliper is froze shut or not. I could turn the wheel with a bit of force. No cracks in the swingarm. Gas tank needs to be replaced possibly. Just thought it would be a good project quad. I have always been a fan of the legendary 250R. Ok, guys please let me know what you think it is worth in the condition described.

Regards

John

LT250Racer609
01-17-2005, 07:31 PM
the same thing basically happened to my dad..

he picked up a 250R of this guy who had it laying in his barn for like 8 or so years....he was the only owner of it before that...the fenders were shot (like the one u talked about)..handlebars were bent along with the front right lower a-arm and the light was bent....things were rusted up but it didnt even have wear marks off the motor case of frame where your footpeg is!...what im trying to say is that this quad was mint under the few things that through it off...so he made it a project quad and bought it for the 800$...we brought it home and stripped it and polished up everything....we put burguard +2+1 front chrome a-arms on it....PEP +2 shocks w/ remote rezzy, Lonestar twin row bearing carrier and a +4 lonestar excaliber axle...Paul Turner chrome MX pipe and hes ridden it non stop without even tearing down the motor yet since 7 months ago when he bought it....if i were you offer the guy a real low price and see if he takes it...if not agree on somethin not rediculous on the condition of it and you will most likely be happy about the project

and o yah...

the front left caliper did the same thing to my dads when he got it...the brake piston was locked up...all you gotta do is take the caliper off and clean it and press it out and change over the break fluid and she should be set to roll:cool:

RingoYFZ450
01-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the info. I was thinking around $800 just wanted to see what others thought. I will let ya know how it turns out this weekend.

XANDADA
01-18-2005, 09:43 AM
I'd go lower than $800. The guy prolly just wants to get rid of it since he's using it as a lawn ornament. I'd offer $250 and see what he says...and be prepared to dump a ton of time/money into that thing to get it runnin good again...

honda racer 211
01-18-2005, 10:36 AM
$500 would not be a bad deal

440exnacsracer
01-18-2005, 09:19 PM
i traded a $110 subwoofer for mine, and it came disassymbled:D hey, saved me a little bit of time. as for being mint, this thing was when it stopped for the last time.....stock tires, stock brake pads, heck, everything was completely stock, except for a ported head. ive got about 5 weeks left on mine:D cant wait, waited for years to have one:devil:

beak7707
01-19-2005, 01:45 PM
I am gonna have to take xandada's side. I would low ball him, you can always go up in price but cant go down. And if its as bad as you say its not worth much anyways. I wouldnt want much in the price of the quad, because you are going to have lot of $$$ in parts believe me.

RingoYFZ450
01-19-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks for all the great advise. I will let you all know this weekend how it turned out. :D

RingoYFZ450
01-22-2005, 10:39 PM
Well guys thanks again for all the great info. The guy wanted $1500 for the quad and would not budge on the price. I told him good luck and keep it.

devilwitoutacaz
01-23-2005, 09:26 AM
thats not hard to believe.....people think that a 250r wont bring that much money anymore because of the 450 hipe....the truth is that alot of people cant stand 4 strokes and will pay for a 2 stroker.

RingoYFZ450
01-23-2005, 03:30 PM
Yes, but if you read above and note the conditon of the thing it is clearly not worth $1500

RingoYFZ450
01-24-2005, 06:11 PM
The guy just called me and said that he would take $1200 .. Should I do it?

XCredrider
01-24-2005, 07:01 PM
it doesnt sound so bad that its not worth 1200..you could fix it up real nice for about 2000 and that would be a good deal.JMO

beak7707
01-27-2005, 06:24 PM
I would pass. You can find super nice 250r's for cheap anymore.

Syrus
01-27-2005, 10:00 PM
no dont take 1200, u can buy them in decent shape for around $3000, it will take u more than 2000 to get that thing running and looking good again, its a $400 scrap quad. If its been out in the weather for 2 years, not much lleft on her thats worth the $1200.