PDA

View Full Version : 05 reliability issues?

Bush0102
01-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Have there been any problems reported with the 05 YFZ? I've been planning on getting a 450R for a couple months now because even the Yamaha dealer admitted to me they were having problems with the 04...but i just like the YFZ so much more...I'd hate to pass one up if they've fixed all the electrical problems.

Also, i've heard about lighter riders having problems with the yfz's suspension being a little too stiff...During the work/race season i'm about 145-155 lbs (in the winter I'm about 165 haha)...am i too light?

MXRACER86
01-17-2005, 01:08 PM
I have a 2005 YFZ and Have had no Problems. My only complaint was the stock suspension. Iwas stiif and the shock action sucks. Good thing I just got my gibson frontend. Oh yea I wiegh 200lbs

Flynbryan19
01-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Seems that both of them have thier problems...... :(

The Yfz's have had clyinder problems from what I've seen over at Bluetraxx and the 450R's have been having cracked frames and bottom-end bearing failures..... Take your pick it seems like the potential is there either way......

Bush0102
01-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by MXRACER86
I have a 2005 YFZ and Have had no Problems. My only complaint was the stock suspension. Iwas stiif and the shock action sucks. Good thing I just got my gibson frontend. Oh yea I wiegh 200lbs

stiff suspension at 200 lbs? did you soften it up from the stock settings?

hmm...this is gonna be a tough choice. I might look at the 05 Z400 as well.

Quad18star
01-17-2005, 02:36 PM
I had the issue with the Electrical . At first they thought it was the battery so they gave me a new one ... the problem happened again ... so i brought it back to the shop and they said it was the stator , but the part was on backorder for a few months so they gave me another battery ... the problem hasn't happened since . I've ridden my quad with the lights disconnected all last summer without any problems . Now it's been sitting in the garage all winter and I start it up every 2 weeks or so without any problems . :confused:

I also have a few buddies that race their YFZ and haven't had any electrical probs . Although I do know of one person that had a bottom end bearing let got on his YFZ and has had a lot of problems . BUT everyone I've talked to that knows this guy , has said that from the day he bought the quad , it never sounded right ... always sounded like somethign was wrong with the quad .

2 of my friends also have 450r's ... they've had their share of problems also . One with frame problems ... the other with case problems .

It's a hit or miss really . The 'o5 Yammies are supposed to have no electrical probs though .

Quad18star
01-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Also forgot to mention .... I'm about 140 - 145 lbs and the suspension does seem a little stiff ... but once you ride it a bit , it softens up . Also the faster you ride ... the better it works . :devil:

SRH
01-17-2005, 02:55 PM
me and 3 of my buddies all have yfzs none of us have had any problems..we all race 135 lightest rider to 265 heaviest...all satisfied with suspension, we race mx.... by the way,
get the resistor kit, chain roller relocator and your ready to go ...problem free...i wouldnt beleive half the stuff you hear about the so called problems with the yfz or 450r......i think these only exist with people who treat there quad like trash or dont change there oil like they should... buy a yfz, you wont regret it.....clean the airfilter and change the oil twice a week

i was optimistic going from a honda to yamaha but im very satisified and yamaha did a good job building it, the motors of course dont last as long asa 400ex motor does...but no race motor is going to... the stiff suspension the lighter rider of are group noticed, we just backed the preload ring up and went all the way soft on the compression knob and he was satisfied.....

Bush0102
01-17-2005, 03:24 PM
yeah SRH your yfz is sick as hell...but so you're saying that you can adjust the suspension enough to make it comfortable for light riders?

How much does the resistor kit cost, and what is the advantage of the chain roller relocator?

And yeah, some people do have problems with their quads because they treat them like trash. I never abuse my quad, keep it washed, keep the oil fresh, and the filter clean. I ride trails and race harescrambles so my airbox lid is always on. I plan on taking good care of it, so i'm not worried about major problems.

The only thing that scares me is the electrical stuff. My 400EX is an electrical nightmare (I'm about to replace the whole thing from battery to wiring to starter), and it's honestly the most frustrating thing on earth. I'm always worried about parking in the right place so i can roll start it when i am ready to ride again.

So then do you think it would be safe to buy a used 04? I could use the saved money to buy the relocator and resistor kit, and maybe even a Ballance HMF pipe and some nerfs...

Thanks for the help.

SRH
01-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
yeah SRH your yfz is sick as hell...but so you're saying that you can adjust the suspension enough to make it comfortable for light riders?

How much does the resistor kit cost, and what is the advantage of the chain roller relocator?

And yeah, some people do have problems with their quads because they treat them like trash. I never abuse my quad, keep it washed, keep the oil fresh, and the filter clean. I ride trails and race harescrambles so my airbox lid is always on. I plan on taking good care of it, so i'm not worried about major problems.

The only thing that scares me is the electrical stuff. My 400EX is an electrical nightmare (I'm about to replace the whole thing from battery to wiring to starter), and it's honestly the most frustrating thing on earth. I'm always worried about parking in the right place so i can roll start it when i am ready to ride again.

So then do you think it would be safe to buy a used 04? I could use the saved money to buy the relocator and resistor kit, and maybe even a Ballance HMF pipe and some nerfs...

Thanks for the help.

the resistor kit is 51 bucks and im not even sure if you will need it on a 05..and you only really need it if your going to take the lights off...if not just leave them on on all the time, the chain roller relocator is 20 bucks, yamaha positioned the stock one too low, the chain hits it and stresses the swingarm and can actually twist it if you land hard enough

if you buy a tether get a pingel or wire a pd in like aussie yfz guy said thats how ive done mine and no problems since but dont use the tether or switch on the bars to shut it off, emergency only, use the key for normal shut down..thats what yamaha recomends.. and you shouldnt have any problems...i wouldnt buy a yfz used unless it was a race bike because i wouldnt trust the guy doing the maintence...id get a 05 , supposedly better spring rates(softer) new stator, casted in the decomp hole that caused problems on the 04 yfzs and fixed some of the minor stuff waterpump seal etc.. but like i said we all have 04s and were happy

also you can add kickstart and keep your electric if your worried about it leaving you somewhere...the battery must stay in place even if your only going to kickstart it..alot of the guys were butchering the yfz harnesses up, and removing stuff without knowing the consequences and thats where there electrical problems came from

and my buddies complained of the suspension the broke it in and got it dialed in and it was actually somewhat plush and had a good feel from w hat they said ive only ridden a stock one a few times and it was better than the works shocks i had on my 400ex

trust me youll be happy with it... if not yamaha is usually pretty good about taking care of there customers..if you race dont let them know that til your warranty is out because they will cut you down to 3 months...they tried that with my freinds

drgn_erth
01-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19

450R's have bottom-end bearing failures.....

My cousin had this happen to him, at least Honda's making i t good(just taking forever).

robman
01-18-2005, 10:30 AM
My buddies 04 yfz had water pump replaced (factory flaw) after that no problems.He rides it like he stold it but does regular maintanence such as oil changes,cleaning the k&n and lubing the suspension plus he runs 92 octane.A year later an it still runs great.He didn't like the shocks at first untill we loosened up the rear spring for him,I used to catch him in the turns with my modded ex because of that but now he's gone,can't touch him.:(

SRH
01-18-2005, 04:03 PM
yeah i forgot to mention its very important you follow yamahs recomendations on the ocatane 91 or high i think, i always use 93

Bush0102
01-18-2005, 05:37 PM
yeah i wont put anything under 93 in my EX...i wouldnt think of doing anything less in the 450. I'm going to go price an 05 tomorrow...how much extra does the limited edition cost and what do you get with it?

sampleez
01-18-2005, 06:14 PM
i'm not sure about how close u are to West KY, but Town and County Motorsports in Murray, KY has the SE for 6225!!!!. That's where i'm gonna try and get mine here pretty soon.

Bush0102
01-19-2005, 03:02 PM
ok guys, i went to the dealership, and they approved my credit...payments will be 49 bucks a month for 2 years, then it jumps to like 17%. They said they'd give it to me for 6400 out the door.

you guys have convinced me and i'm going to get one, but the first thing i'm going to do is send that damn seat off to have it padded!

my only decision now is to wait until spring to get one or get it now...I'm not going to be riding till i get home in late april, and prices might drop by then because sport quad sales will be picking up- so i think i'm gonna wait.

SRH
01-19-2005, 04:29 PM
ok guys, i went to the dealership, and they approved my credit...payments will be 49 bucks a month for 2 years, then it jumps to like 17%. They said they'd give it to me for 6400 out the door.

you guys have convinced me and i'm going to get one, but the first thing i'm going to do is send that damn seat off to have it padded!

my only decision now is to wait until spring to get one or get it now...I'm not going to be riding till i get home in late april, and prices might drop by then because sport quad sales will be picking up- so i think i'm gonna wait.

i would buy now...spring time most people go quad and dirtbike crazy looking to buy so dealerships raise there prices and might igve you the run around on the 6400 number which is a good price

id go get one as soon as you can afford it, u can afford it now go for it, hold up on the padded seat, you butt gets use to it lol:p

robman
01-19-2005, 11:09 PM
Yfz's are $1000 dollars cheaper at a dealer here so now in the offseason might be better.The 05 has many upgrades:softer seat with grip,aluminum shifter/brake pedal,softer shocks,beefed up tranny and swingarm plus a new stater ,some people say a stronger axle too.Not too shabby;)

Bush0102
01-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by SRH

id go get one as soon as you can afford it, u can afford it now go for it, hold up on the padded seat, you butt gets use to it lol:p

maybe i'll just bungee cord a pillow to my *** and save the hundred bucks.

tido450
01-21-2005, 11:18 AM
stiff suspension at 200 lbs? did you soften it up from the stock settings?

hmm...this is gonna be a tough choice. I might look at the 05 Z400 as well.

NOOOO DONT GET A SUZUKI PLEASE... this was the biggest mistake of my life. everything and anything breaks.. most people mention the fact the shock mounts crack.. well another problem noone ever mentions is the tope steering stem mount folds back even under the smallest of crash's. get the yamaha or honda never the z400 youll be shooting yourself in the foot