PDA

View Full Version : What do the factory backed riders make?

Bush0102
01-17-2005, 12:26 PM
I've heard that Tim Farr's contract with honda is worth seven figures, but with all of Gust's success, i would think he may make more than Farr.

Who all is factory backed for '05? As far as I know, it's Farr, Ballance, Jones, and Gust.

roostin_dale
01-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Im not sure if any one REALLY knows.

Rumors say

Gust and Jones = 2 mil.
Farr = 1 mil.
and Ballance = $600,000

No idea how true this is, but its kinda hard to believe millions...

CRE Performance
01-17-2005, 12:33 PM
I thought I just read in dirtwheels that there is rumor that Ballance just signed the first 6 figure contract ever for an ATV rider. I could have misread though.

Bush0102
01-17-2005, 12:39 PM
oh yeah isnt rath factory backed by polaris?

and i dunno, a factory sponsorship is big. Maybe what it means is that the riders are given a million or so per year, but their salary and race support come out of it or something. Like may Tim's million dollar contract pays him 400K per year and then gives him 600K for parts, to pay his staff, and for travel.

But yeah this stuff is a pretty well kept secret...

roostin_dale
01-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Cant forget the new Suzuki rider, Jeremy Lawson, he races pro-am class. He's a cool guy, he races at one of my local tracks sometimes.

Bush0102
01-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Oh i thought lawson was sponsored by a suzuki shop or something...i didnt realize he was factory backed. Thats pretty cool that the factories arent exclusive to the production class anymore.

bman9
01-17-2005, 12:54 PM
no i guess rath isnt with polaris anymore....but matt smiley is!

Bush0102
01-17-2005, 12:55 PM
the list keeps growing...do you think team green will return when the 450 comes out?

Hondadudeehhhh
01-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
the list keeps growing...do you think team green will return when the 450 comes out?

yeah, if suzuki does the same thing with the new z 450. Suzuki will dominate with their new 450, I can see it now. I hope kawie has a bad arse 450 though, i would ride green.

roostin_dale
01-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Oh i thought lawson was sponsored by a suzuki shop or something...i didnt realize he was factory backed. Thats pretty cool that the factories arent exclusive to the production class anymore.

Im pretty sure he is backed by suzuki. And last I heard, he is running an identical bike as Gust and Jones.

cdalejef
01-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale

Rumors say

Gust and Jones = 2 mil.
Farr = 1 mil.
and Ballance = $600,000

No idea how true this is, but its kinda hard to believe millions... LMAO....not even close!

roostin_dale
01-17-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
LMAO....not even close!

yea i didn't think so! Just what I read on other threads/message boards...

JDiablo
01-17-2005, 02:35 PM
yea i didn't think so! Just what I read on other threads/message boards...

yea ok,just admit that he proved you wrong and you feel dumb and you cant nut up to admit it:D

ahh im bak to my old self:macho

roostin_dale
01-17-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
yea ok,just admit that he proved you wrong and you feel dumb and you cant nut up to admit it:D

ahh im bak to my old self:macho

haha, nope...Search the boards, you'll find it...i just read what other people said...

AND, i never said that, in the original post i said "rumors say"....

JDiablo
01-17-2005, 02:39 PM
haha, nope...Search the boards, you'll find it...i just read what other people said...

:rolleyes: :cool:

01-17-2005, 02:43 PM
i just rode with some old team green riders n they dontno wats gunna happen but there thinken optimistic:chinese:

01-17-2005, 03:03 PM
yea i didn't think so! Just what I read on other threads/message boards... Thats what I thought too, and many other people. The reason this was thought is because its straight out of the pages of dirtwheels. And now theyre saying Ballance has the first 6 figure contract??? Theyre just contradicting themselves...

Bush0102
01-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Atkins, you're right...i remember specifically that Dirtwheels said Tim Farr was pretty open about being paid a million a year while Doug Gust was keeping his mouth shut.

cdalejef
01-17-2005, 03:16 PM
1 million is WAY off!!!

Bush0102
01-17-2005, 03:26 PM
high or low?

And Jeff, arent you factory backed?

SRH
01-17-2005, 03:26 PM
i think rc only got a million or two when he was with honda...

i think gust, jones,farr are around the 40,000 signing then they keep there race winnings and have paid transportation and equipment and if they get anything from other sponsors add that on,

i think ballance maybe be close to 100,000 but thats it and same deal as the other two

should be around those numbers give or take 20,000

honda i think gives bike guys 100,000 bonus for winning a championship im not sure if tim gets that too...

cdalejef
01-17-2005, 03:29 PM
high or low?

And Jeff, arent you factory backed? WAY high!!!! and yes I factory backed by ATK.

Bush0102
01-17-2005, 03:31 PM
that sounds reasonable. I bet Gust got a pretty good year-end bonus for his performance.

Hopefully someday the quad guys will be up there with the bikes. The kind of money that Pastrana, Carmichael, and McGrath make is insane...

SRH
01-17-2005, 03:33 PM
that sounds reasonable. I bet Gust got a pretty good year-end bonus for his performance.

Hopefully someday the quad guys will be up there with the bikes. The kind of money that Pastrana, Carmichael, and McGrath make is insane...

naw they ran out of money after they paid carmicheal, they gave doug gust 5 boxes of animal crackers and a suzuki t shirt

brian-250
01-17-2005, 03:34 PM
couple grand would be a good year right jeff?

Bush0102
01-17-2005, 03:34 PM
damn...poor doug, they couldnt even give him a drink to wash the crackers down with

01-17-2005, 03:43 PM
$200,000???????? Jeff?

SRH
01-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Polaris Signs Top 5 GNCC Racer & Launches Comprehensive
Pro & Youth ATV Racing Program. Contingency details to be set next week.

Polaris Industries recently announced its 2005 ATV Racing Sponsorship and its first, and the industry’s largest, GNCC Contingency Program for all ATV classes and the first ever ATV youth GNCC contingency. The move transitions Polaris away from TT racing and in to GNCC racing, which is more consistent with high performance trail riding.

GNCC Racer Sponsorship
Polaris signed Matt Smiley, a 13-year veteran and a top five GNCC racer the last eight consecutive years, to a sponsorship contract whereby Smiley will be Polaris’ first GNCC factory-sponsored racer. The sponsorship includes marketing and promotions, but most importantly, Smiley will provide critical engineering feedback and future product development assistance. Having a consistent and tough GNCC racer on board will help Polaris create stronger trail racing products in the future.

“We’re thrilled to have Matt representing Polaris on the racing front,” said Bennett Morgan, vice president and general manager for the ATV Division at Polaris. “This move signals our commitment to the high performance end of the market and our partnership is in keeping with our trail tough, track ready strategy. GNCC racing is much more true to what the majority of our consumers experience, as compared to track racing and therefore it’s a better alignment for Polaris.”

Smiley will race on a modified 2005 Predator 500 Troy Lee Edition machine. The stock model recently was awarded the “Sport ATV of the Year” by The ATV Guide.

“One of my goals for 2005 is to dedicate more of my time and effort to pro GNCC racing and working with Polaris will help me do that,” said Matt Smiley, GNCC pro class racer. “The Predator is a killer machine with a ton of potential. I’m looking forward to influencing future product modifications and components to make it an even stronger trail threat.”
Smiley will be managed by Safari Motorsports under the direction of Jay Gobel. Details of the contract are not disclosed.

Contingency Program
A first for Polaris and the largest ATV GNCC contingency to date, the company will have a contingency program for all GNCC ATV classes including youth racing in 2005. The potential pay out for GNCC is $250,000 and across all GNCC ATV classes, including the class champion. The maximum per race pay out is $2000 for the pro class. Polaris is currently the only manufacturer offering a contingency program for the new youth circuit. The potential pay out for youth is $10,000 and is available to all three classes, with a maximum per race pay out of $150. Details on both contingency programs will be posted on the GNCC Racing web site as well as the Polaris Industries’ web site – www.polarisindustries.com. Look for details on payouts, rules and classes next week.

Racing Graphics
In conjunction with the sponsorship and contingency program, Polaris will unveil its new high-performance identity with tough Black and Silver colors. The graphics are featured on Smiley’s Predator – a one-of-a-kind machine. Racing gear and accessories are expected to follow in the striking black and silver combination to compliment the machine.
The first race of the 2005 GNCC series is The Lone Star race, February 12th in Gilmer, Texas. Matt Smiley will be hard to miss a top his Polaris Predator 500 Troy Lee.

Bush0102
01-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Hmm....i wonder if he does well if polaris will try their luck with a machine aimed at the MX crowd.

jltld
01-17-2005, 05:25 PM
In Dirt Wheels they said it Bill Balance signed the biggest contract so far. A six figure contract, which could be as low as 100,000 for a TWO year contract. That could translate into as low as $50,000 per year which i think is more realistic than millions. The big supercross riders make all their dough on other sponsors. Gear, energy drinks, goggles, etc. No ones riding for even close to a million dollars on an ATV, just not enough exposure.

killerkfx
01-17-2005, 05:41 PM
i can think of one particular factory backed womens GNCC champ that isn't really getting paid alot, but bikes and a parts allowance were part of the deal. Thats more than most of us are getting. So congratulations to all of the factory backed riders wheather or not your getting paid the big bucks to ride there machines, your money ahead of most privateers.

LsMxRaCeR
01-17-2005, 07:20 PM
i would ride for a normal amount. they would even have to pay me big money all i would ask is they provide the parts.

Premis
01-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by SRH
i think gust, jones,farr are around the 40,000 signing then they keep there race winnings and have paid transportation and equipment and if they get anything from other sponsors add that on,

Higher

bansheeguy77
01-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by SRH
Polaris Signs Top 5 GNCC Racer & Launches Comprehensive
Pro & Youth ATV Racing Program. Contingency details to be set next week.

Polaris Industries recently announced its 2005 ATV Racing Sponsorship and its first, and the industry’s largest, GNCC Contingency Program for all ATV classes and the first ever ATV youth GNCC contingency. The move transitions Polaris away from TT racing and in to GNCC racing, which is more consistent with high performance trail riding.

GNCC Racer Sponsorship
Polaris signed Matt Smiley, a 13-year veteran and a top five GNCC racer the last eight consecutive years, to a sponsorship contract whereby Smiley will be Polaris’ first GNCC factory-sponsored racer. The sponsorship includes marketing and promotions, but most importantly, Smiley will provide critical engineering feedback and future product development assistance. Having a consistent and tough GNCC racer on board will help Polaris create stronger trail racing products in the future.

“We’re thrilled to have Matt representing Polaris on the racing front,” said Bennett Morgan, vice president and general manager for the ATV Division at Polaris. “This move signals our commitment to the high performance end of the market and our partnership is in keeping with our trail tough, track ready strategy. GNCC racing is much more true to what the majority of our consumers experience, as compared to track racing and therefore it’s a better alignment for Polaris.”

Smiley will race on a modified 2005 Predator 500 Troy Lee Edition machine. The stock model recently was awarded the “Sport ATV of the Year” by The ATV Guide.

“One of my goals for 2005 is to dedicate more of my time and effort to pro GNCC racing and working with Polaris will help me do that,” said Matt Smiley, GNCC pro class racer. “The Predator is a killer machine with a ton of potential. I’m looking forward to influencing future product modifications and components to make it an even stronger trail threat.”
Smiley will be managed by Safari Motorsports under the direction of Jay Gobel. Details of the contract are not disclosed.

Contingency Program
A first for Polaris and the largest ATV GNCC contingency to date, the company will have a contingency program for all GNCC ATV classes including youth racing in 2005. The potential pay out for GNCC is $250,000 and across all GNCC ATV classes, including the class champion. The maximum per race pay out is $2000 for the pro class. Polaris is currently the only manufacturer offering a contingency program for the new youth circuit. The potential pay out for youth is $10,000 and is available to all three classes, with a maximum per race pay out of $150. Details on both contingency programs will be posted on the GNCC Racing web site as well as the Polaris Industries’ web site – www.polarisindustries.com. Look for details on payouts, rules and classes next week.

Racing Graphics
In conjunction with the sponsorship and contingency program, Polaris will unveil its new high-performance identity with tough Black and Silver colors. The graphics are featured on Smiley’s Predator – a one-of-a-kind machine. Racing gear and accessories are expected to follow in the striking black and silver combination to compliment the machine.
The first race of the 2005 GNCC series is The Lone Star race, February 12th in Gilmer, Texas. Matt Smiley will be hard to miss a top his Polaris Predator 500 Troy Lee.

if thats true polaris will sell A LOT of predators. its good that somebody steps it up like that. hell id ride polaris just for that

bama400ex
01-17-2005, 09:36 PM
yea i think polaris will get serious about racing. alot of people dog the predator, but they seem to forget that this was polaris first attempt at a sport quad. i love my predator, if i could choose any high performance quad right now i would buy another. but thats just me. maybe someday polaris will be the company that everybody wants to ride for.

kazpr
01-18-2005, 12:53 AM

Rumors say

Gust and Jones = 2 mil.
Farr = 1 mil.
and Ballance = $600,000

No idea how true this is, but its kinda hard to believe millions...
Dont we only DREAM!!

allmixedup047
01-18-2005, 01:09 AM
i talked to a guy that was a factory team green mechanic and i asked him a whole bunch of questions about the new suzuki 450. this was about 6 months ago and he told me that the new 450 would be out in spring of 05. he also said that there is no kawi 450 in the making as of yet. he didnt know if there ever will be or not.

lukester720
01-18-2005, 02:29 AM
I don't know how true this is but I heard that Doug Gust's factory backing was good for twice his yearly income from his business, this is only what I heard....

Jersey450R
01-18-2005, 05:29 AM
Jeremiah Jones must have gotten a sweet ride to go from Yamaha to Suzuki. I'm thinking the top 10-20 Pro Production riders make around 50-80 grand a year. Maybe Bill Ballance got lucky? He also gets a hunk from HMF from his signature pipes.

Bush0102
01-18-2005, 07:38 AM
Thats true, a lot of riders have secondary sponsors that give them money or products. If you think about it, doug gust probably doesnt spend a dime on anything atv-related. All of his winnings and sponsor paychecks just go to the bank account. Not having to personally bear the cost of racing is probably payment enough for a lot of people.

Quad18star
01-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Gust must have gotten a sweet deal from Suzuki .... did you see the size and details of his house he built??? Check it out on his site . www.douggust.com

jltld
01-18-2005, 10:39 AM
He also has an excavating business that probably paid for that house.

bansheeguy77
01-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Gust must have gotten a sweet deal from Suzuki .... did you see the size and details of his house he built??? Check it out on his site . www.douggust.com

thats a pretty nice house. its good to see the atv guys finally getting a little bit of what the bike guys had for so long. and i'd say sweet dea....did u see the 8 z400s in his garage and the rm??

Bush0102
01-18-2005, 10:48 AM
that house is sweet! but you gotta remember he's doing a lot of the work himself which is going to save him probably about 100K.

Quad18star
01-18-2005, 11:07 AM
that house is sweet! but you gotta remember he's doing a lot of the work himself which is going to save him probably about 100K.

Oh I'm sure he did a lot of the work himself , but a house like that is surely worth 3/4 of a million atleast . Let's just say I wouldn't mind living there . :D

My guess is , his contract is worth between 1 and 2 million $$ . Great to see a guy like that succeed ... he stayed with the sport through thick and thin ... and now he's enjoying the rewards .

So far from his website , I've seen that he has a SWEET home , 2 large Garages , his own Track , a couple sleds , a bunch of quads , a dirtbike , a Harley , a SWEET truck , a Box Van ( looks to be from Suzuki) .... what else does a man need ??:p He's living every guys dream .

Bush0102
01-18-2005, 11:35 AM
I dont know about 3/4 of a million...i'd say its probably 3500-4000 sq. ft, with all the work he's doing himself it'll probably be around 300-350K