PDA

View Full Version : Removing Scratches

01400ex
01-17-2005, 09:01 AM
Is there anything I could use to remove scratches from my plastics??

fst400exrider
01-17-2005, 10:11 AM
i saw this scratch remover stuff at my local riding park. i used it before and it works good. i forgot wut its called. ill try to find out

sled_ed 300ex
01-17-2005, 11:31 AM
in the novemder 2003 issue of dirtwheels they had an article that they used PC racing plastic renew!!
i never tried it but they obviesly said it works if the scratchs arent
to deep!!

300exOH
01-17-2005, 11:49 AM
I have no experience with the stuff myself but Novus makes a plastic polish that may work very well. They also make the windshield repair kits used for auto glass repairs that are almost invisible. The pc plastic renew tends to peel and flake off after a while.

AlbaKFX
01-17-2005, 03:18 PM
I use mothers plastic polish... works very well, and if you clean out the really deep gashes, it will make them look alot less obvious as well.

400exrider707
01-18-2005, 12:10 AM
polishes only cover it up they dont get rid of the scratches. Terry cable sells the kit called plastic renew for like $25. I'm going to warn you it will take a LOT of work to do this. It is definitely way cheaper than new plastics, and you can use one kit to do a few times, but it is a LOT LOT LOT of work. Just a warning.

redhondi400
01-19-2005, 09:02 PM
wait until you crack your plastic the you will not care about scratchs. Thats what happened to me I used to care about them until I rolled it racing a buddy. The front plastic cracked, and now I dont care anymore.

bradrenea
01-22-2005, 06:52 PM
MOP n Glow floor wax works good to shine up old plastics. You can put on several coats and it fills in the shallow scratches. Once it gets scuffed up you can spray some simple green on it and it will just rinse off, then start over. I have had real good luck with it, and its cheap.

03400EX_Nacs
01-25-2005, 10:10 PM
i have used wd40

shamisc
01-25-2005, 10:23 PM
Mop-N-GLO or any liquid floor wax works great. But, I've found that Pledge or any dusting spray works just as good and it's faster to wipe on and repels dust too.;) Plus it smells good!:devil:

TheFontMaster
01-25-2005, 10:54 PM
I have used plastic reniew before. I was very satisfied with the results. Someone said it does flake, I haven't experianced that, but i could tell where it would crack a little where the plastic flexed more, or if i dropped a blunt oblect on the plastic it would leave a mark. It does a great job of getting rid of the scratches, and an even better job of making faded plastic look new agian. It is a long and time consuming proces. It took me a weekend to do my 300ex with race cut front fenders. If I was to do it again I would don only one thing different. I would use 600 grit sandpaper on top of the 400. The 400 grit left some marks still in the plastic. Not too noticiable, but that pritty much is my only complaint about the product. Do a search, I did a review thread on plastic renew and it had some before abd after pics.