PDA

View Full Version : pivot bolt is stuck

smokin01'400
04-27-2002, 08:44 PM
I cant figure out how to get it outta there..ive been trying with a punch and hammer but it wont budge, it will turn but wont come out. i have sprayed wd-40 and all that stuff on it..still wont work. it needs to be greased badly or replaced becuase its really rusty and the suspension is sticking and stuff...please help me out, i dont know how to get it out and when i do, what do i do with it? thanks alot guys. andrew

gncc400exxx
04-27-2002, 09:13 PM
Mine was froze and I used an air chisel with a nice bit i had that fit in the hole. It mushroomed the threads a little but i ground them down and it's fine. I also soaked it with PB blaster spray.

Worked for me

Dave400ex
04-27-2002, 09:41 PM
How often should the Pivot Bolt be taken out and Greased? I plan on this Winter taking all the Linkage Stuff apart and Lubing it, but should I do the Pivot Bolt and other Stuff sooner?

400exJOE
04-27-2002, 10:28 PM
I want to the same thing to. Is there a special kind of hi-performance grease I should use? Also, do I need a torque wrench to retighten the bolts? I don't have one yet. Also, what is everything that should be greased? Pivot bolt, all a-arm bolts, linkage, and what else? Thanks

Dave400ex
04-27-2002, 10:34 PM
Yeah what Kind and Brand of Grease is the Best for these Parts? Thanks in Advance.

nakomis0
04-27-2002, 11:15 PM
Any kind of thick bearing grease should do the trick. I just greased mine.
Ussually I don't even take the bolt all the way out. I'll knock it out a little with a hammer and a piece of wood, than grease it up, I'll slide it back in and turn it a few times, than repeat.
I do it about once a year. That seems to lube it up enought so it never seizes. and It only takes about 10 minutes.

Dave400ex
04-27-2002, 11:18 PM
Thanks Nakomis. Have you Greased your Linkage yet? How hard is that?

outlaw319
04-28-2002, 02:12 AM
good luck on gettin the bolt out in good enough shape to reuse it!
A little trick I do to all of my bolts to keep them from freezin up is simple. First since the bolts are hollow, I drill out the bolt head end and put a grease zerk in it, plug up the other end with some brazing, and drill a couple of holes all the way through the sides.
This way you dont need to remove the bolt to grease the insides, and you can drill out the collar also to be able to grease the needle bearings at the same time. As for the grease, I use marine grade, it wont wash out. Hope this helps!:cool:

smokin01'400
04-28-2002, 09:10 AM
can i try a rubber mallet or something that wont smear the threads? or like one person used, a block of wood and hammer? do i need to take the weight off of it? would it make it any easier at all to put it on a stand? thanks. andrew

Live2Ride300
04-28-2002, 10:33 AM
outlaw319-

do you have any pics of your set up? that sounds like a good idea, is it hard to install grease zerks? thanks for any info man

Dave400ex
04-28-2002, 11:55 AM
Yeah Outlaw319, I would also like some more Info on that Setup. It sounds really Smart. Would that make a Bolt any Weaker?

Red Rooster
04-28-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by smokin01'400
can i try a rubber mallet or something that wont smear the threads? or like one person used, a block of wood and hammer? do i need to take the weight off of it? would it make it any easier at all to put it on a stand? thanks. andrew
It will go easier with the quad off the ground and do use a rubber mallet or a block of wood.

nakomis0
04-28-2002, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Thanks Nakomis. Have you Greased your Linkage yet? How hard is that?

There rear shock linkage? nope. I just try to spray every piece of metal on my bike with wd-40. I try and do that every few rides, or after I get her wet, to try and prevent any rust.

smokin01'400
04-28-2002, 08:23 PM
ive tried the rubber mallet and that didnt work. I tried the block of wood and a metal hammer..that didnt work. I think im gonna wait another month or 2 till i take it back to get serviced to get it replaced cause its not moving. i can turn it like with a socket but it wont come out. any other ideas. yes, ive drowned it with stuff too. andrew

SGA
04-28-2002, 08:34 PM
I just greased the a-arms, rear swingarm bearings/bolt and rear shock linkage. Honda is kinda skimpy with the grease i noticed. I thought (before I read this thread) about the idea of installing the grease fitting and drilling three small 1/16'' holes. One in center and one at each swing arm bearing. Was kinda worried it might weaken the bolt to much. hows yours holding up, outlaw319 ??

Stunz
04-29-2002, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by smokin01'400
....do i need to take the weight off of it? would it make it any easier at all to put it on a stand? thanks. andrew

Yes, get the weight off of it.
Chances are it still will not move.
You might want to try adding heat to the spacers that are frozen. You could also try to grab that spacer with a vise-grip or pipe wrench to keep it from turning with the bolt. This would lossen up any rust that it holding it to the bolt, but it real hard to get a tool on it.

I tried getting mine off and gave up. It looked like I was about to do more damage than good.

oynot400
04-29-2002, 08:30 AM
I just experinced this a few weeks back. I waited about 6 month too late because the bearings in the swing arm were gone! and the swing arm was junk. I got lucky with the pivot bolt I could move mine back and forth until it was out.
However when I did mine it started a panic around the neigborhood to check theirs. We tried to take one out of a '99, which has had a hard life. That bolt was stuck, we tried drilling it out with no luck. A neighbor has a hydraulic puller so we got it out with that. We were all surprized that the bearings looked good, almost like new. I am going to take mine out about every 6 months or year and grease it. I did find out that putting a grease zerk on the bolt is an old R trick because they had the same problems.
Just a note, to get the bearings, seals and collars from Honda is about $100. Then the bolt and nut is another $25. :huh

smokin01'400
04-29-2002, 02:11 PM
oh wow.. i doubt i will ever get it out so i will just wait to let my shop do it. i will prolly make things worse...should i replace it with a pivot works kit? its cheaper and maybe better quality? andrew

Dave400ex
04-29-2002, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all the Info. I think I am going to Spray some WD-40 on my Rear Linkage and Stuff. Then it will be ok until this Winter.

mrusk
04-29-2002, 08:05 PM
Warriorman you dont want to spray wd40 on your linakge. That stuff is not what you want to use for bearing lubication. On my R there are zerks on my linkage. You proably have them on your 400 so get the old grease gun out.

matt

Dave400ex
04-29-2002, 08:33 PM
No there is no Grease Zerks. I don`t know what Honda was thinking. I guess I`ll just Wait until this Winter to take everything apart and Grease it.

oynot400
04-30-2002, 01:23 PM
Warriorman, I would not wait until winter to grease it. I put mine off way too long and had to pay the price of a new swingarm. Be sure to pack some grease in the bearings of the linkage also. ;)

outlaw319
04-30-2002, 07:37 PM
Sorry for taking so long to reply you guys!
First off I'll try to get some pics posted this weekend, because I'll be putting on my new swingarm. As for getting the bolt out, the block of wood and hammer trick is the best way, but try using a torch to heat the bolt up.....This helps. Drilling the bolt for greese holes dont hurt it at all, I done it to all of my quads and haven't had a problem yet( and one has been done for around 7 years).
I'm working on a website which will post all kinds of mod and tricks for quads with all kinds of pics, hopefully will get it going soon! Hope this info helps! If not drop me a line.:)

Dave400ex
04-30-2002, 08:19 PM
Oynot400, I wasn`t talking about Waiting to Grease the Pivot Bolt, I was talking about all the Rear Linkage Stuff. You had to get a New Swingarm because of the Pivot Bolt? That would Suck.

04-30-2002, 08:59 PM
The bolt freeze's around the spacer's. Mine would not come out at all no matter what I tried. I finally cut it out with a tourch and bought a new one from the dealer cost me $26.00. Bought the needle bearing kit from (Motoman) it comes with everything you need to rebuild the hole thing. That cost me $44.00 when I put the new one in I used plane axel grease in the bearings and where the bolt goes through the spacers and motor I used (never seize) on the bolt it's good ****. I also learned don't take your quad to the car wash. If you do avoid spraying any of the seal's. Think about it the high preaser will blow dirt right through the seal's. (Dirt and bearing's don't mix.) Good luck.