PDA

View Full Version : college major

Butters
01-16-2005, 10:05 PM
i was just curious from the people going to college or that have went to college what they were majoring, or have majored in?? i just started i was just curious what everyone else was going for.

Quad18star
01-16-2005, 10:10 PM
I took Civil Engineering for 2 years .... waste of a year and a half . The first semestre was good ( they suckered us in) ... then it blew after that . The course sucked ... but college life was great . Nothing like partying on Rez . :devil:

jesshamner
01-16-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm majoring in Geography with emphasis on Geographical Information Systems at Western Kentucky University. I'm minoring in City and Regional Planning.

Butters
01-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I took Civil Engineering for 2 years .... waste of a year and a half . The first semestre was good ( they suckered us in) ... then it blew after that . The course sucked ... but college life was great . Nothing like partying on Rez . :devil:

what exaclty is civil engineering?? i'm sure i have heard of it before but i don't remember.

Quad18star
01-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Butters
what exaclty is civil engineering?? i'm sure i have heard of it before but i don't remember.

It's basically design of structures such has road ways , bridges , buildings , water / sewage systems . I'd say about 60% of the people that run any town / city are Civil Engineers .

It's a good job , if you enjoy math and if you don't mind traveling . Most of the time , you'll be out in the rain , snow , wind ( whatever mother nature throws at you) trying to plan or build something. If you get a University degree your job is more stable ... you'll probably end up in an office designing and planning structures and sitting in front of a computer with CAD as your best friend . :p

Quite easily put ... NOT FOR ME !!!!

440exnacsracer
01-16-2005, 10:23 PM
going for mechanical engineering this fall

Quad18star
01-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by jesshamner
I'm majoring in Geography with emphasis on Geographical Information Systems at Western Kentucky University. I'm minoring in City and Regional Planning.

GIS Techs are in great demand in my neck of the woods . I've seen ads in newspapers begging for GIS people ... starting wages are like $50 000 to $60 000 :eek2:

mrnate400ex
01-16-2005, 10:30 PM
just graduated last month with my business administration degree with an emphasis on management. pretty easy. it is a very flexible major. i plan on going in to banking as soon as my wife is done with her masters.

Quad18star
01-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by mrnate400ex
just graduated last month with my business administration degree with an emphasis on management. pretty easy. it is a very flexible major. i plan on going in to banking as soon as my wife is done with her masters.

That's what I should have taken . I did a coin toss ... Heads was Business Management .... Tails was either Civil or Mining Engineering . Tails won !!!:grr:

Bad choice on my part , cuz now I'm in Management and don't have a degree in it . :ermm: That damn paper would have gotten me atleast another $10 an hour more . :macho

Butters
01-16-2005, 10:44 PM
i was thinking about doing something in business too. acutally thats what i wanted to do but i was looking into accounting. not say that is a great job but it as to do with money and business so it caught my eye. so what would you say would be a good business degree, the business administration degree like you were talking about or something else??

mrnate400ex
01-16-2005, 10:50 PM
if you are capable, do the accounting. CPA's get paid very very well. but the test to get your cpa is killer from what i hear. i hate accounting, but if you like that kind of stuff go for it. but, if you want to do business, management or marketing would both be good. or human resources.

Butters
01-16-2005, 11:02 PM
if you are capable, do the accounting. CPA's get paid very very well. but the test to get your cpa is killer from what i hear. i hate accounting, but if you like that kind of stuff go for it. but, if you want to do business, management or marketing would both be good. or human resources.

really i heard that test wasn't too bad at all. i know there is alot of jobs for accountants here. i'll look into that test and see what percent pass and all that. thanks for the help though you wouln't believe how much this helps me.

zlam27
01-16-2005, 11:07 PM
im going to school for mechanical engineering. not that i really want to be an engineer per se, but and engineering degree opens up a lot of doors.

i either want to get involved in design and fabrication or testing of equipment. i would like to create and test aftermarket parts.

i also want to invent things, so an engineering degree seemed right up my alley.

my ideal job... test ride engineer for honda :devil: (it is a real job and it does require and engineering degree)

bansheeguy77
01-16-2005, 11:21 PM

i was going to ask if u ever had accounting but u said you did. i had 4 years of that crap and struggled every year (teacher sucked). so i think i would rather give my left testicle than take a job in accouting. dont do it! haha ok now that im done there. im going in the fall for either history or criminal justice. leaning more towards history cause its something ive always enjoyed.

440exnacsracer
01-16-2005, 11:22 PM
after college, im going into formula one as a mechanic, then a race engineer.....6 mil a year, that should be enough

Honda4trax250x
01-16-2005, 11:27 PM
i plan on majoring in criminal justice next fall

Butters
01-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Honda4trax250x
i plan on majoring in criminal justice next fall

whats so good about this??? just curious i notice alot of people on here doing it.

bansheeguy77
01-16-2005, 11:30 PM
whats so good about this??? just curious i notice alot of people on here doing it.

there are many career options out of it. you can go for law enforcement, corrections, probation, pretty much any thing legal. and its a good program if you want to continue and go to law school

Butters
01-17-2005, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
there are many career options out of it. you can go for law enforcement, corrections, probation, pretty much any thing legal. and its a good program if you want to continue and go to law school

oh. sounds interesting. just not my cup o tea.

MichaelS693
01-17-2005, 01:14 AM
psychology... ill be prob work with my sister at the local looney bin called whitfield.. lol:D (she works there too.. not a patient)

Alon
01-17-2005, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by 440exnacsracer
going for mechanical engineering this fall

me too

popo
01-17-2005, 05:09 AM
Univ. Of Minnesota. Industrial Engineering.

BassGin3
01-17-2005, 05:12 AM
Marketing major at University College Dublin till may, then back to UMass in the fall.

Neece#303
01-17-2005, 07:12 AM
Im going for Nursing

EPDP99
01-17-2005, 07:20 AM
Fire Science

ohmer22
01-17-2005, 11:33 AM
i was sport industry with a art minor and still cant figure out what to do.....:ermm:

Butters
01-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by MichaelS693
psychology... ill be prob work with my sister at the local looney bin called whitfield.. lol:D (she works there too.. not a patient)

this is something that i was really interested in, cause i love psychology, but there is almost no jobs around where i live doing this. thats why i was wanting a business major (second choice).

mrnate400ex
01-17-2005, 12:19 PM
my wife is getting her masters in school psychology. very interesting field as far as i can tell. they are in pretty high demand out here in kansas. you should check out there. the pay is excellent here in kansas. it is good because all she will have to work is during the school year. usually a 10 month contract and plus she gets all of those snow days off and the other stuff the kids get off for!!! should work out really nice when we start having kids.

Bush0102
01-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Major in Finance and a minor in agricultural economics...i switched the two at the semester break. I'm gonna get my MBA after i graduate.

Butters
01-17-2005, 12:24 PM
my wife is getting her masters in school psychology. very interesting field as far as i can tell. they are in pretty high demand out here in kansas. you should check out there. the pay is excellent here in kansas. it is good because all she will have to work is during the school year. usually a 10 month contract and plus she gets all of those snow days off and the other stuff the kids get off for!!! should work out really nice when we start having kids.

no offense, and i mean this the best way you can take it, but there is no way i would ever move to Kansas. my family tried it once for a few months when my dad had a job there and we couldn't stand it. we had to move back to oklahoma. i thought oklahoma was bad until we moved to kansas. sorry if that souned rude its just my opinion, not that it means anythigng.

mrnate400ex
01-17-2005, 12:33 PM
hey, none taken. i wasn't implying that you should move to kansas. just saying that you could check on it there in oklahoma. where do you live in oklahoma. my wifes grandparents live in buffalo, and she has some other relatives that live in woodward.

zephead400ex
01-17-2005, 12:40 PM
no offense, and i mean this the best way you can take it, but there is no way i would ever move to Kansas. my family tried it once for a few months when my dad had a job there and we couldn't stand it. we had to move back to oklahoma. i thought oklahoma was bad until we moved to kansas. sorry if that souned rude its just my opinion, not that it means anythigng.

Where did you move to in Kansas?

Didn't we just have this thread a few weeks ago?...Major in Finance w/ an emphasis on Bank Management.

tclapp
01-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Im a Business Managment and Marketing major with a minor in sports recreation at University of Evansville

thump4863
01-17-2005, 02:31 PM
really i heard that test wasn't too bad at all. i know there is alot of jobs for accountants here. i'll look into that test and see what percent pass and all that. thanks for the help though you wouln't believe how much this helps me.

Not at all true....the CPA exam is one of the harder tests. I just got my accounting degree this december and am working on my masters of accountancy right now. To get your CPA you have to have 150 credit hours which is more than what it takes to graduate with a bachelors. Nearly everyone of my professors that have the doctrate took the CPA exam at least 3-4 times before passing it completly. The % is very small of people that pass ALL parts at the same time. The good thing is that you only have to pass each part once. But even if you dont have your CPA accounting majors get paid VERY well. Like I said I just graduated in Dec and I'm getting an excellent salary and they are paying for my grad school at the same time.

01-17-2005, 04:21 PM
Aviation Flight at SIUC and then Aviation Management so I can fly commercial

Quad18star
01-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
Aviation Flight at SIUC and then Aviation Management so I can fly commercial

Are there alot of jobs in the flight business in the USA ?? I know up here , there is NOTHING . My cousin's husband has his commercial license , along with float and flight training license and he's now working as a rep for an aluminum manufacturer . No work at all for him . :ermm:

Butters
01-17-2005, 06:33 PM
hey, none taken. i wasn't implying that you should move to kansas. just saying that you could check on it there in oklahoma. where do you live in oklahoma. my wifes grandparents live in buffalo, and she has some other relatives that live in woodward.

i understand. i have checked into it around where i live which is in mustang (south west of okc) and there isn't much around the metro. thanks though.

Butters
01-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
Where did you move to in Kansas?

Didn't we just have this thread a few weeks ago?...Major in Finance w/ an emphasis on Bank Management.

i moved to newton. i don't know if we had this a few weeks ago but if we did it wasn't me. but thanks for the suggestion.

01-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Are there alot of jobs in the flight business in the USA ?? I know up here , there is NOTHING . My cousin's husband has his commercial license , along with float and flight training license and he's now working as a rep for an aluminum manufacturer . No work at all for him . :ermm: yes, there is a world of oppurtunities here in the US for aviation. Especially the business aspect

MichaelS693
01-17-2005, 10:30 PM

most of the time if ur gonna go into psychology you are gonna have to get a masters to make the real good money... my sister is a socialworker and doesnt have her masters and makes decent money but she is goin to a local african american college called jackson state to get her masters... she got a minority scholarship and decided to go:)

mrnate400ex
01-17-2005, 10:47 PM
actually, most of the time in psychology you have to have your doctorate to make any money. my wife will most likely be starting at over $40k as an intern and a 10 month contract, then only move up from there with only her masters. some friends of hers are going in to clinical psychology, and the starting wages around here are about $25k a full year. it doesn't hardly seem worth it to go to school for that many years and come out with $25k as a starting wage. i can get that pretty easily with my bachelors. now a doctorate clinical psychologist will make tons of money. they are allowed to have their own practice and whatnot.

Butters
01-17-2005, 11:00 PM
actually, most of the time in psychology you have to have your doctorate to make any money. my wife will most likely be starting at over $40k as an intern and a 10 month contract, then only move up from there with only her masters. some friends of hers are going in to clinical psychology, and the starting wages around here are about $25k a full year. it doesn't hardly seem worth it to go to school for that many years and come out with $25k as a starting wage. i can get that pretty easily with my bachelors. now a doctorate clinical psychologist will make tons of money. they are allowed to have their own practice and whatnot.

yeah thats another problem i ran into. oh well i think i will just stick with a business major.

mrnate400ex
01-17-2005, 11:08 PM
yeah, do the business thing. you won't be dissapointed. multiple options of jobs when you are done, and most of them are completely different from eachother.

mrnate400ex
01-17-2005, 11:09 PM
oh, and if you have any questions, feel free to drop me a pm. i might be able to help, and i might not.

Butters
01-17-2005, 11:12 PM
oh, and if you have any questions, feel free to drop me a pm. i might be able to help, and i might not.

thanks for your help. i do appreciate it. :)

FourFiftyFour
01-18-2005, 07:24 AM
a business degree is a smart, solid choice to go for if you are not sure what u want to do right away. I did hear at one time, the average person switches majors 2 or 3 times, not sure if thats true, but people change or finally figure out what they really want to do.

I am currently at the Art Institute of Houston going for a Graphics Design major... possibly thinking of going for another major afterwards but not totally sure on that one.

hot450girl
01-18-2005, 07:33 AM
I didn't really read this post and it kind of seems like everyone is done posting and what not, but I am going into Crime Scene Inestigation and Forensic Science. There is only one person in all of MI that does Forensic Science as of right now so that is a pretty rewarding career so I think!:blah:

FourFiftyFour
01-18-2005, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by hot450girl
I didn't really read this post and it kind of seems like everyone is done posting and what not, but I am going into Crime Scene Inestigation and Forensic Science. There is only one person in all of MI that does Forensic Science as of right now so that is a pretty rewarding career so I think!:blah:

oh wow that is really cool. I took a courts and criminal procedures class in high school and we went over a little bit on crime scene investigation and stuff and it seemed really interesting. I thought about maybe going into something like that, but my stomach is not the strongest in the world and Im sure there are some prety gruesome and sad things youd have to see

hot450girl
01-18-2005, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
oh wow that is really cool. I took a courts and criminal procedures class in high school and we went over a little bit on crime scene investigation and stuff and it seemed really interesting. I thought about maybe going into something like that, but my stomach is not the strongest in the world and Im sure there are some prety gruesome and sad things youd have to see

HEHE the funny thing is was that I was going into Graphic Design. In high school i took a few classes in VOC that was Graphic Design but I lost interest in it. You have to have drawing abilities and well, I can't draw anything!

zephead400ex
01-18-2005, 08:14 AM
Kara can draw pretty damn good!

iceracer65
01-18-2005, 08:15 AM
cdalechick can deffinatley draw well...not sure if pink is a good color selection tho:blah: :devil:

FourFiftyFour
01-18-2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
Kara can draw pretty damn good!

thanks :) im not even close to the greatest but it gets me by okay in my "field of study"

FourFiftyFour
01-18-2005, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by iceracer65
cdalechick can deffinatley draw well...not sure if pink is a good color selection tho:blah: :devil:

LMAO! well sorry but I had to do that to your super weird picture :p :p

hot450girl
01-18-2005, 08:20 AM

Heck yeah! Pink is the color of choice! I just got all nex pink thor gear for this year, along with a pink helmet and pink thor MX goggles! I want all the guys at the dunes to know a girl is beating them!! That's sweet you can draw, you'll definitly go far then in that career choice.:blah:

FourFiftyFour
01-18-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by hot450girl
Heck yeah! Pink is the color of choice! I just got all nex pink thor gear for this year, along with a pink helmet and pink thor MX goggles! I want all the guys at the dunes to know a girl is beating them!! That's sweet you can draw, you'll definitly go far then in that career choice.:blah:

welllll what he did was send me a pic of him taken when he was errrr.. under the influence and it was just incredibly funny so i had to photoshop his shirt and pants BRIGHT PINK...HEHE :devil:

iceracer65
01-18-2005, 08:31 AM
i am liable to make ANY color look good...maybe i should get all pink gear and put a ponytail out the bottom of my helmet...that way when i get beat no one will have the satisfaction of beating a guy...of course i might get hit on all the time;)

FourFiftyFour
01-18-2005, 08:33 AM
i am liable to make ANY color look good...

see what i mean? youre going to need a custom-sized helmet with a head that big :p LOL

iceracer65
01-18-2005, 08:34 AM
p.s. how come none of you fine ladies are on aim today...finally up in the morning and this is the thanks i get?

FourFiftyFour
01-18-2005, 08:35 AM
p.s. how come none of you fine ladies are on aim today...finally up in the morning and this is the thanks i get?

im in class...let me sign on AIM express...gimme a couple sec.

hot450girl
01-18-2005, 08:46 AM
I'm always on aim if anyone wants to talk to me!

Mx skin babe Mx

Thump_It
01-18-2005, 12:41 PM
I think I'm gettin a business degree in Sports Marketing....don't know what it will get me. I'm just going to college for a degree, nothing in particular. After school I'm opening up a quad customization shop.