PDA

View Full Version : Sand in Motor, How to Flush??

coolhuh
01-16-2005, 08:58 PM
My friend took the top end off of his quad because he found some sand in his intake. Their is a little sand on top of his piston but not for sure if it went further. What would we use to flush out the case and clean the parts off with. We are going to take the cylinder of so we can flush it from the top down. The oil and filter did not appear to have any sand in it, but to be safe we want to flush everything.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

user101
01-16-2005, 09:49 PM
i dont about that one...anyone got any advice?

gutt_72
01-16-2005, 10:02 PM
years ago a buddy of mine broke a piston skirt off and the resulting fragments made there way down into the crankcase... long story short he used diesel to flush it out. Filled the case up sloshed it around got all the pieces out and wa la good as new.

needa400
01-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by gutt_72
years ago a buddy of mine broke a piston skirt off and the resulting fragments made there way down into the crankcase... long story short he used diesel to flush it out. Filled the case up sloshed it around got all the pieces out and wa la good as new.

ya thats a good i dea

mojoe2878
01-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by gutt_72
i had to do the same thing not long ago.
after flushing it out with gas or any thing like that, be sure to pour oil on as many of the bearings as you can so they wont be completly dry when you put it back together and crank it up for the first time. you can use a syringe filled with oil to squirt it in the harder to reach places.

400exrider707
01-17-2005, 02:55 PM
you can use diesel or even kero which will act like a cleaning solvent too.

chad502ex
01-17-2005, 03:03 PM
I'd say that if you left the sand in the engine and rev'd it up real long and fast the sand would eventually turn to glass. glass is real smooth and is great for reducing friction in the engine.

bad joke- i'm just funn'n. this isn't a joking matter i know.

yes, the sand should be removed. Because i'm so paranoid about my engine, i would probally split the cases and use a part cleaner to remove all foreign substances in the top and bottom end of the engine.

good luck- hope everything works out.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
01-17-2005, 04:56 PM
chad you had me worried their for a moment :p

chad502ex
01-18-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
chad you had me worried their for a moment :p

heh
:blah: :D