PDA

View Full Version : Counter Balancer/Water Pump Drive

ZillaRider02
01-15-2005, 10:52 PM
After rebuilding the topend on my R (Sandtrix Portjob, 260 cc, 39 pwk, ESR TRX5 Center Mount) I took it for it's maiden voyage. It absolutely rips! The problem came when the pin through the end of the counter balancer that drives the water pump broke. Now I need to replace the counter balancer, crank seals, probably a new rod while I'm in there, etc. Anyone else ever have this happen?

slick250
01-16-2005, 10:30 AM
The only problems in that area I have seen is the counterbalancer bearing going out. It starts a chain reaction from there. If you just need to replace the counterbalancer ($210.00 by the way), then you will not even need to split the cases unless it ruined the bearing support land in the case.
I did not get so lucky, the bearings came apart, then got caught between the balancer and blew both case halves apart (600 more dollars). :eek2:

slick250
01-16-2005, 10:48 AM
Here is a picture of what happens to the bearing on the counterbalancer.

ZillaRider02
01-16-2005, 01:14 PM
My CounterBalancer and bearings still look good. However, the pieces form the pin for the water pump caused some nasty marks to the inside of the case. I have a couple of spare counterbalancers, just need some new main bearings, seals, and gaskets. Anybody use an aftermarket counter balancer holder? I was looking at ESR's. Thanks.

beerock
01-16-2005, 10:09 PM
ive used hinsons and rpms

chia355
01-16-2005, 11:40 PM
Just replaced my counter balancer ($160 shipped Service Honda) found out before it got that bad.1st waterpump started to leak so I looked things over and found some play in it Also bought an ESR bearing holder and new O ring & Bearing,WP seals and shaft now everything is great

ZillaRider02
01-17-2005, 12:18 AM
My WP quit a couple of months ago before the topend rebuild, wishing now I would've checked things out a little better. I have 3 complete sets of spare cases with Counter Balancers (1 is an 88 that has never been fired) and most of the other stuff to fix it. I found a Hinson adjustable Bearing Holder I might be able to get cheap, anyone run one of those? Thanks.

beerock
01-17-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by chia355
Just replaced my counter balancer ($160 shipped Service Honda) found out before it got that bad.1st waterpump started to leak so I looked things over and found some play in it Also bought an ESR bearing holder and new O ring & Bearing,WP seals and shaft now everything is great

Umm what is WP?

bro you could have sent the counterbalancer out to be rebuilt instead of buying a new one, its like 50 bux to rebuild a counter balancer. I rebuild them in my motors all the time.;)

chia355
01-17-2005, 02:55 PM
WP= (water pump) Had old one rebuilt by Denton for$60 thats w/ shipping Now I've got a spare

slick250
01-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by ZillaRider02
My WP quit a couple of months ago before the topend rebuild, wishing now I would've checked things out a little better. I have 3 complete sets of spare cases with Counter Balancers (1 is an 88 that has never been fired) and most of the other stuff to fix it. I found a Hinson adjustable Bearing Holder I might be able to get cheap, anyone run one of those? Thanks.

I run a Hinson. It is very easy to adjust and have had no problems with it.

beerock
01-17-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by chia355
WP= (water pump) Had old one rebuilt by Denton for$60 thats w/ shipping Now I've got a spare

ahh the mechanical seal