01-15-2005, 07:51 PM
HMF OR LTE EXHAUST

nosliw
01-15-2005, 07:55 PM
hmf

:cool:

Aceman
01-15-2005, 07:59 PM
If you've got the money I would go with LTE from what I've heard. Good gains and super quiet.

jmpulse
01-16-2005, 12:17 AM
If you can afford it, and want to keep the exaust quiet, the LTE system is the way to go.

If a loud exaust dosen't bother you, and the riding areas are not caring, then go with what U want.

450Racer
01-16-2005, 12:53 PM
i would get HMF. i personally think the dual pipes have not been through enough R&D long enough to provide significant gains over the mainstream pipes. you can also get a spark arrestor or quite core for the HMF for $20. they're a heck of a lot cheaper, more R&D, awesome sound, can be quite, and support our site!!!

MarkyNark
01-16-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by 450Racer
i would get HMF. i personally think the dual pipes have not been through enough R&D long enough to provide significant gains over the mainstream pipes. you can also get a spark arrestor or quite core for the HMF for $20. they're a heck of a lot cheaper, more R&D, awesome sound, can be quite, and support our site!!!

450Racer,

I dont think you are aware of all the R&D that has already gone into the LTE pipes. There has been tons of field testing and dyno testing since they came out nearly two years ago. Some of the most advanced & proven features are incorporated in the LTE pipes. The pipes are stainless steel, and the exhaust gets larger as the exhaust moves towards the exit of the pipe. There are ceramic coating options as well as heat shields (aluminum and carbon fiber). The spark arrestors are a hemispherical screen and have passsed the USFS tests. DB tests done in the field by actual USFS personel confirm the DB rating that LTE gives for each pipe. They are the only exhaust that actually provides a dyno of each of thier pipes compared to stock.

I've had a set on my 400EX for two years. I've had Yoshi, FMF and stock, there is nothing that compares to the LTEs. If you want quiet performance, NOTHING BEATS THEM! NOTHING!

LTEs hold up so well, it will be the last exhaust that you will buy.

TRXRacer1
01-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Dual pipes on a single cylinder are a joke, go with the HMF.

MarkyNark
01-17-2005, 09:50 AM
A joke huh? Why are thier two head pipes on most single cylinder heads?

Im laughing.... but not at LTE.:eek2: :ermm:

RAPTORAZ
01-18-2005, 06:42 PM
I havn't heard much about the LTE's for EX's. But they are making big power on built Raptor's. The 780 stroker Raptor from GP Racing in Miami won this years Four Stroke Wars with LTE's. I've got them on my 727 Raptor. And I'll be putting some on my 416EX as well soon.

MarkyNark
01-18-2005, 06:45 PM
I just ordered a special set for my 460EX. Im looking for that 2 hp gain over the old style EX pipes. My hope is that the HP gain will be more than 2 over the old style LTEs for 400EX.

They've got some interesting new styles coming out. For those that love slip-on torque, they have one of those coming out. They are also testing some new carbon fiber muffler cans now too.

My old LTE's will go on EBAY.

JOEX
01-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by MarkyNark
My old LTE's will go on EBAY.
How much do you want for them? I have been thinking of getting them in the future but if the price is right maybe sooner....

MarkyNark
01-18-2005, 09:56 PM
I wont be selling them until I get the new ones.

TRXRacer1
01-19-2005, 11:14 AM
A joke huh? Why are thier two head pipes on most single cylinder heads?

Im laughing.... but not at LTE.:eek2: :ermm:
Now I'm luaghing at you. Maybe because they have two exhaust valves.:rolleyes:

MarkyNark
01-19-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
Now I'm luaghing at you. Maybe because they have two exhaust valves.:rolleyes:

To me it seems totally natural to go from two exhaust valves, two head ports, two head pipes into two exhaust mufflers. I guess to some it seems silly. But the proof is in the dyno numbers, and the race results. Now I will say this, for low end torque, these high flow exhausts are NOT the ticket. But for top RPM power, and/or you need and exhaust for a high flow motor (stroked or bored or both), the LTEs are the exhaust to get. I realize that some think its stupid. Present a smart argument and I will listen. Otherwise, this kind of exchange is silly:p

wilkin250r
01-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
Dual pipes on a single cylinder are a joke, go with the HMF.

Why exactly is it a joke? Is it more or less of a joke to have 4 cylinders going into 1 exhaust pipe?

What cosmic rule is there that requires the number of pipes to be less or equal to the number of cylinders?

It's simple mathematics. All other things being equal, two exhaust pipes are going to have half the restriction of a single exhaust pipe. Less restriction can translate into two different aspects, either less noise, or more power. Generally a combination of both. Granted, it usually also means more weight, and more expense, but everything is a trade-off. If the added cost and weight are worth the reduced noise, and/or the power output, then the LTEs are great. Personally, I think they are a great solution to noise restrictions. Most quiet pipes don't offer the same power gains of their louder counterparts. LTE offers nearly the same gains as other "loud" pipes, but are much quieter.

The real joke is your hang-up on what is "normal" regarding pipes and cylinders.

meanyellow03ex
01-19-2005, 07:32 PM
It's like everything else in life. You wanna play-you gotta pay$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

JOEX
01-19-2005, 10:56 PM
I wont be selling them until I get the new ones.
Any idea when that will be?

MarkyNark
01-19-2005, 10:58 PM
probably a month.

Beaver State? Oregon? What town?

JOEX
01-19-2005, 11:09 PM
Oregon City, not too far from Vancouver:)

wcr400ex
01-19-2005, 11:17 PM
I have a full HMF and love the way it sounds and looks. THe LTE looks kinda goofy to me......And another thing about the two exhaust pipes. The new 450s only have one explain that if two pipes makes more sense...

MarkyNark
01-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Simple! Not every stock quad, inlcuding the 450R, is perfect out of the gate for every application. If you think they are, you are sorely mistaken!

We've mentioned the benefits of two exhausts from a high RPM power and noise reduction standpoint. However, we dont think that the duals are good for every application - especially when low end torque is required.

Open minds are a good thing!:p

MarkyNark
01-20-2005, 06:31 PM
Did I mention that LTE is coming out with a Slip on shortly? It could be a torque lovers dream!

chad400ex
01-20-2005, 08:37 PM
Hey Marky,

Long time no talk. I think you may have ridden with JOEX when we rode together at Sand Lake (one of the times)... Are you still down in Albany?? Hell...if Joe hadn't asked you first, I'd be considering buying those pipes off you too. Your motor is growing faster than my beer gut!!! Anyway...back to the topic.

To the non-believers...the pipes do perform very well. And most importantly for us Oregon Dunes riders...they are quiet. It's nice to have a modified bike and not have to worry about getting a ticket every time you go riding.

3 years ago...everyone on here said the E-Series was the best pipe, now everyone says it's the HMF, next year it will be different...all in all, any single high flow pipe/header is going to perform just about the same on the 400EX. Believe what you want (or what you've read).

MarkyNark
01-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Chad,

Yes, I'm still down in Albany, working in the family business and running ODP. But I'm moving out of the apartment and into a condo. I'll probably buy it in a few months - NO YARDWORK!

Anyways, like you said, back to the topic -- I figured I needed some more flow and the new LTE give another 1.5hp at the top, so I called Randy up at LTE and he's making me up a set. The new ones will have the carbon fiber muffler casings, and ceramic coated (instead of my chrome plate) over stainless steel.

I was going to get those pipes right away, but the guys at Elka want me to have a set of thier new Dune Edition shocks .... they made me a deal I couldn't refuse. So, Im getting those, new plastic and then I'm heading to the magazines for some publicity.

People do have a hard time understanding the concept of the new pipe - But I think after a while, guys will eventually understand them and how they work. Two mufflers are better than one when the DB police are out and about!

Later ...

(Let me know if you get down this way)

Marky

02 Red Rider
01-20-2005, 09:53 PM
I can certainly appreciate that the LTE seems to be a fine product. The Pulsecharger exhaust looks to be in the same boat. Many people are resistant to new products until they see/feel/try them on their own or on their freinds bikes.

That being said this thread is like alot of others recently that start out as "Which Pipe Should I Get" then turn into a whole argument about why we should all buy somebody's latest product.

No offense, but is this the best way to promote your new product?

Not sure how this comes accross, but it is not intended as an attack, just my .02.

MarkyNark
01-20-2005, 10:26 PM
No offense taken!

I'm happy to discuss anything thats new - good or bad or somewhere in between. I think if you look at my posts over the last few years, I try and stay on the merits. As you know, there are many pipes out there, and not any one exhaust is the best for all applications. If I didnt take this view, I really wouldnt be very objective, and that wouldnt benefit anybody.

I am pretty vocal about dual exhaust, simply because the concept of high rev power is something that a lot of people dont want to consider. .... any dual exhaust.

I didnt get my pipe until I saw how they made a raptor really come alive and yet how quiet they were. And I ordered a set.

Like Chad said, the LTE is currently the only exhaust that's quiet and still considered a performance exhaust. We have a serious problem on the Oregon Dunes with environmentalist and home owners that live close to the dunes. More and more areas are being closed down on a yearly basis because the of popularity of our sport, and the increase in loud performance exhausts. If the market understood this, and people demanded it, you'd see FMF, LRD, Yoshimura and others get into the twin pipe market - Thats a good thing! More areas will stay open, and more riding for everyone. I see it helping both sides - a good comprimise for those seeking performance, and those wanting some sleep!

I talk a lot about other things, the 460 stroker, gearing, the YFZ - and I've never been acused of promoting them. But If I see an idea that makes sence, I would think that people would want to hear objective, unbiased information. Dont you think? Besides, I didnt start the thead. Just giving my input based on the question.

No worries! Its all good!

JOEX
01-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by chad400ex
Hey Marky,

Long time no talk. I think you may have ridden with JOEX when we rode together at Sand Lake (one of the times)... Are you still down in Albany?? Hell...if Joe hadn't asked you first, I'd be considering buying those pipes off you too.
I officially call first dibs!:p

I haven't met Marky yet, i'm sure I will though;)

The main reason i'm interested in these pipes is due to the noise isiues we have around here. I don't like loud motors, a nice grunt is nice but nothing obnoxious.

jmpulse
01-20-2005, 11:10 PM
Like Chad said, the LTE is currently the only exhaust that's quiet and still considered a performance exhaust. We have a serious problem on the Oregon Dunes with environmentalist and home owners that live close to the dunes. More and more areas are being closed down on a yearly basis because the of popularity of our sport, and the increase in loud performance exhausts. If the market understood this, and people demanded it, you'd see FMF, LRD, Yoshimura and others get into the twin pipe market - Thats a good thing! More areas will stay open, and more riding for everyone. I see it helping both sides - a good comprimise for those seeking performance, and those wanting some sleep!

It is good to see others that understand the concept of the LTE exausts.

MarkyNark
01-20-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by jmpulse
It is good to see others that understand the concept of the LTE exausts.

I agree 100%! My passion is riding - The more quiet duals there are, like the Pulsecharger & LTE, the better!

While I have only heard about the Pulsecharger here, maybe someone will ring in on some details about it, or any other new performance quiet systems out there. Does Pulsecharger have a website? I tried to search for it and didnt find it.

cals400ex
01-20-2005, 11:41 PM
guys/gals, i didn't want to get the word out too quick, but i will be doing an exhaust shootout on a 400ex. i will be posting the info that i gather here along with other forums. i currently will be testing x-4, x-6, full hmf, and lte. i did contact lrd but they didn't get back with me. i am not putting these pipes on a dyno but instead they need to be tested in the real racing environment. i have 3 400ex's but we will keep the variables the same and only run each pipe on the same bike. the other bikes will be used for comparison. i am not doing the shoot for about 2 months yet so don't get too excited. i was just curious if there is another company everyone would want me to contact so i can try their pipe out too? i don't want to test a million pipes. i am trying to test the "big boys" when it comes to these pipes. i don't want to waste time on a pipe that isn't in the same playing field as the other pipes i am testing. we need to realize this is going to take a bunch of time, including writing the reports in a somewhat professional manner. also, its not like i am getting paid for this so i can't spend more than about a couple days testing each pipe out. however, it was my idea to do the shootout and i will provide the best information i can, on each pipe tested.

jmpulse
01-20-2005, 11:45 PM
I agree 100%! My passion is riding - The more quiet duals there are, like the Pulsecharger & LTE, the better!

While I have only heard about the Pulsecharger here, maybe someone will ring in on some details about it, or any other new performance quiet systems out there. Does Pulsecharger have a website? I tried to search for it and didnt find it.

http://www.viciouscycleperformance.com/

From every post on the Pulse Charger the posters are VERY pro PC, and anti all other pipes. The pre sale hype has done this company well. Time will tell.

Right now the PC is a 96dB pipe, and they claim that they are working on a 93dB insert. LTE was designed from the start to make power meeting the 93dB level. It will be interesting to see what other pipes can do when hitting the 93dB levels.

jmpulse
01-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
guys/gals, i didn't want to get the word out too quick, but i will be doing an exhaust shootout on a 400ex. i will be posting the info that i gather here along with other forums. i currently will be testing x-4, x-6, full hmf, and lte. i did contact lrd but they didn't get back with me. i am not putting these pipes on a dyno but instead they need to be tested in the real racing environment. i have 3 400ex's but we will keep the variables the same and only run each pipe on the same bike. the other bikes will be used for comparison. i am not doing the shoot for about 2 months yet so don't get too excited. i was just curious if there is another company everyone would want me to contact so i can try their pipe out too? i don't want to test a million pipes. i am trying to test the "big boys" when it comes to these pipes. i don't want to waste time on a pipe that isn't in the same playing field as the other pipes i am testing. we need to realize this is going to take a bunch of time, including writing the reports in a somewhat professional manner. also, its not like i am getting paid for this so i can't spend more than about a couple days testing each pipe out. however, it was my idea to do the shootout and i will provide the best information i can, on each pipe tested.

The Pulse Charger would be interesting. Could you also include testing with the quiet cores, and list the dB of the quite cores?

MarkyNark
01-21-2005, 06:36 AM

A dyno is a pretty integral part of analysis when looking at performance. Yes, you have to do real world tests too. But without dyno numbers in conjuction with those test, your left with human errors. I think you'll find that the duals end up producing the most power at the top of the RPM range. So, if you do real world tests for situations like that, dune drags, flat drags, your real workd tests will confirm that. However, that wont be so when you test for trail riding and MX, single pipes are better for that.

With out the dyno numbers, you wont know what real world test to perform.

Just a thought!

wilkin250r
01-21-2005, 01:44 PM
A dyno is a pretty integral part of analysis when looking at performance. Yes, you have to do real world tests too. But without dyno numbers in conjuction with those test, your left with human errors. I think you'll find that the duals end up producing the most power at the top of the RPM range. So, if you do real world tests for situations like that, dune drags, flat drags, your real workd tests will confirm that. However, that wont be so when you test for trail riding and MX, single pipes are better for that.

With out the dyno numbers, you wont know what real world test to perform.

I agree wholeheartedly. Not only that, but you also need to look at your target audience. People generally respond better to dyno charts than general statements of "brand xxx is better", regardless of how unbiased the tester may be.

There are a lot of factors that can influence a "real world" test, so a "winner" in a real-world test is often very difficult to justify or prove. Back-to-back dyno runs are generally much more accepted as indisputable fact. A dyno chart can be copied, printed, carried, and presented as proof. A statement about "this pipe is best" is generally regarded as heresay.

cals400ex
01-21-2005, 02:37 PM
yes, i know this may be far from perfect but i figured i would try the best i can. what i find out will be better than what i know now.

Blastermax
01-21-2005, 03:18 PM
If I were you I would go with the HMF

MarkyNark
01-21-2005, 03:35 PM
yes, i know this may be far from perfect but i figured i would try the best i can. what i find out will be better than what i know now.

cals400ex,

Thats ok, its a gallant effort. I too will be testing exhaust systems: The LTE, Sparks, Stock, Ron Wood Racing, & DrD on the YFZ stock motor. I have to shell out about $300-$500 in Dyno time, find an independant mechanic to tune the carb every time to each pipe, then haul each quad over to the dunes, and hire a USFS person to perform a sound check on the dunes (which also requires re-jetting to each pipe)!

Its expensive!