PDA

View Full Version : Need some help here, glowing red pipes-->

platinum350
01-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Well I did some searches before I posted this but since my case might be a little different from most that I read, I decided to post. My brother rode his 2003 Raptor off a cliff into a bed of water accidently. Most of the quad was submerged. I just finished putting it back together. I started in the driveway just a minute ago in the dark, with no airfilter connected and I noticed the header pipes were bright red.

I believe the quad shut off immediately after going in the water and we never attempted to start it again. Prior to his accident, the quad rode great w/ no problems/glowing headers.

As far as what I did to the quad:

I cleaned the carbs, intake boots, airbox thoroughly.(very little dirt found in carbs)

Drained/flushed the coolant and gas.(all this seemed normal)

Repeatedly changed the oil(there WAS water in the oil)

removed spark plug and cranked motor over to blow out any excess of water.

Removed exhaust and used a air compressor to blow in the intake, spark plug hole & exhaust manifold.

I think thats about it....sorry so long!

nosliw
01-15-2005, 07:56 PM
put the airfilter back on, that would cause it to lean out.

platinum350
01-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I will have to try it tomorrow.

By the way, I forgot to mention in the original post what mods it has(if it even matters). It has either a full white brothers T-4 pipe or just a slip on, been jetted and a uni-filter.

300ex73
01-15-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm not sure if it will make much of a difference, but you may try checking the timing. It's unlikely it was messed up, but having incorrect ignition timing can cause problems similar to what you describe.

underpowered
01-15-2005, 08:55 PM
without the airfilter it it getting too much air therefor running leanand getting hot. This is why you need to rejet when installing a high flow airfilter to keep it from leaning out. it should be alright if you put the airfilter back on.

Myrtle150
01-15-2005, 09:02 PM
uhh guys almost every 4 stroke pipe ive ever seen in the dark has glown. both mine and my friends 400's pipes glow after night ridin

ShiftFMX
01-16-2005, 01:24 PM
Yeah, Ive seen a few Different pipes glow in the dark!

Just last week my bestfriends Dads foreman had a glowing Header Pipe!

85atc350x
01-16-2005, 04:54 PM
My 400ex did that from brand new off the showroom floor, Even before I modified the engine. Dont think you have anything to worry about.

platinum350
01-16-2005, 10:17 PM
cool, I just thought that was a little weird. Apparently not!