PDA

View Full Version : Stem Clearing Clake oversized tank

hardbodyt
01-15-2005, 05:58 PM
HELP I have a Stock length LSR steering stem on my 2001 Honda 400EX and it has a slight bend in it so I shimmed it with a few washers to clear my 5.5 gallon clarke tank, but I just got a Houser wristwrester for my bike and found out that it needed to be flat against the frame so I can't use the spacers anymore, and the stem rubs the tank again. I want to get a new stem, but I was looking for advise on which to buy. I am also considering going for a +1 in length, and maybe even +1 forward. I look forward to your response, and opinions. Thanks alot..

markk
01-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by hardbodyt
HELP I have a Stock length LSR steering stem on my 2001 Honda 400EX and it has a slight bend in it so I shimmed it with a few washers to clear my 5.5 gallon clarke tank, but I just got a Houser wristwrester for my bike and found out that it needed to be flat against the frame so I can't use the spacers anymore, and the stem rubs the tank again. I want to get a new stem, but I was looking for advise on which to buy. I am also considering going for a +1 in length, and maybe even +1 forward. I look forward to your response, and opinions. Thanks alot..

Buraguard makes nice stems, and They arnt so expencive!, herrmann also carries some products u might try out!

As for the +1 thats your preffrence! ITs how u want ur bars to feel! bar setup is diffrent with everyone!, but its one of the most important thing i can think of!

Rico
01-16-2005, 06:28 AM
My Houser +1 forward and +1 taller still hits my clarke gas tank. Not bad but it still hits. I don't see how a stock length stem would even come close to working....:huh

hardbodyt
01-16-2005, 11:17 AM
I shimmed it out with 1 inch spacers

Pappy
01-16-2005, 11:19 AM
I shimmed it out with 1 inch spacers

wouldnt shimming out the stem change the geometry at the tie rod and possibly cause a "bind issue"

a +1 is almost mandatory for the XC tanks, +2 on all stems will clear without any trouble. +2 and a cr low bend will be about the combo.

hardbodyt
01-16-2005, 11:22 AM
I never had a problem with that, but know with the wristwrester I can use a shim anymore.

Pappy
01-16-2005, 12:27 PM
I never had a problem with that, but know with the wristwrester I can use a shim anymore.

i doubt shimming the wrist wrester will change anything, however it will hit the plastic so that area will have to be trimmed to aloow clearence

markk
01-16-2005, 04:40 PM
I also thought that shimming it would cause a binding issue!

Chef
01-16-2005, 04:52 PM
The bottom of the stem sits in a bearing...and even thoug hthe top is moved out an inch, the tie rod ends are made to move around, so there shouldnt be any problem. It could have toed it out a little bit though...