PDA

View Full Version : Lets play a game... who can guess what is wrong with my engine?

Narly R
01-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Well today I was ridding, and it made 2 loud bang noises, and stopped, there was an enourmous cloud of steam comming out of my exhaust. It wont turn over, there was also antifreeze comming out of my exhaust. The steam stopped comming out, so we rolled it backwards in gear, and it made some lod bang noises when it it turned over, and when we did that steam came out of the pipe again. So I think I probably bent a vaulve, and cracked my head, and probably damaged my piston. I am going to take it apart tomarrow, but for the fun of it I was going to see if anyone could guess egzacly what happened before i take it aprt, like what vaulve, or what part of the head cracked, or what do you guys think happened? Feel free to ask questions.

44oEX
01-14-2005, 07:35 PM
I say you broke the sleeve and then the piston went under the cylinder and then the connecting rod snaped.

well that is what happend to my 440 anyway.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid103/pa0212cb6e26d8e22190470bf236605a7/f9a66dd0.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid103/p421a5eaa72cb53f924743d522a8e7df2/f9a66e87.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/pc7622b8d1bdb560768515a8825e4b6c3/f9ba7746.jpg

Narly R
01-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Wow, that looks awfully bad! I hope that didnt happen to me, but we'll see...

This engine just got a new crank, rod, sleeve, piston, and cam, along with other little things, it only has about 12 hours on it, if that. I am about ready to give up....

wilkin250r
01-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Obviously operator error. :blah:

bulkdriverlp
01-14-2005, 07:50 PM
well yea, if a bunch of steam and stuff came out ur exhaust some thing to do with valves, broke cam chain, valves ect. i dunno

TCracin440ex
01-14-2005, 08:06 PM
probally broke a valve off....that same thing happend to my 92 250x...my valve broke off and imbeded itself in the piston...had to get a new head and new piston

SRH
01-14-2005, 09:11 PM
blew a head gasket ,and some sort of weird vapor lock

or you crack your cylinder broke a ring and seized it up

SRH
01-14-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Narly R
Wow, that looks awfully bad! I hope that didnt happen to me, but we'll see...

This engine just got a new crank, rod, sleeve, piston, and cam, along with other little things, it only has about 12 hours on it, if that. I am about ready to give up....

12 hrs? i think you were about due for new top end...have you been keeping up on the valve clearance? im sure the guys at www.thumpertalk.com can help you alot ....did you have the stainless steel vavles? or the stock titanium?

BSTURDIVANT
01-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Droped a valve-head, piston, and cylinder probably junk! May not have hurt the cylinder- depends on how the valve hit.

Narly R
01-14-2005, 10:10 PM
I do not see why you would have to change a top end every 12 hours! I defently cant afford that/and am not going to do that.

I couldnt stand it anymore and I tore it apart..... I broke the sleeve, smashed the side of the piston, and smashed a little on the head. Had some damage to a couple peices on the cam. The vaulves are acually allright, besides 2 of them are sticking out a little for some reason. I think the piston might have been put in backwards, I will be calling Wiseco and see what they say, because in the book it shows the IN mark pointing towards the intake, and I had an arrow, and I made it point towards the exhaust. I dont know if it is differnt or not, but thats what happened, and now i have to fix it.:mad:

:rolleyes:

Narly R
01-14-2005, 10:11 PM
I am not sure if the cylinder is damaged, it depends on how far it pushed the sleeve in.

SRH
01-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Narly R
I do not see why you would have to change a top end every 12 hours! I defently cant afford that/and am not going to do that.

I couldnt stand it anymore and I tore it apart..... I broke the sleeve, smashed the side of the piston, and smashed a little on the head. Had some damage to a couple peices on the cam. The vaulves are acually allright, besides 2 of them are sticking out a little for some reason. I think the piston might have been put in backwards, I will be calling Wiseco and see what they say, because in the book it shows the IN mark pointing towards the intake, and I had an arrow, and I made it point towards the exhaust. I dont know if it is differnt or not, but thats what happened, and now i have to fix it.:mad:

:rolleyes:

crfs dont last all that long, some of them run really hot.... for no apparent season, guys will go a season on a top end some will go a month or less , dont quote me on this but on every wiseco piston ive had the arrow points to the front..

Narly R
01-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Yea, I know all about the running hot probs they have.... Mines one of them! But I havent got to ride the dang thing enough to even see how long a top end would last.

I, along with everyone else thought that it pointed forward, no matter what the mark. I will have to ask Wiseco though...

FTR250Rnif
01-15-2005, 10:19 AM
man that sucks. hopefully it works out for you:)