PDA

View Full Version : do all 400's not start in the cold?

muddy400EX
01-14-2005, 05:38 PM
my quad is nearly impossible to start in the cold. ive got an HMF pipe, 165 main jet, and k&n filter. should i change the jetting for the cold weather, im out of ideas to do, it just dont wanna run in the cold, what does everybody else do?

ckasper18
01-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Change your 38 pilot jet to a 42 that should help some if you have a rev box on that bike put the stock one back on that makes it much easier to start.....Chris

ny300exrider
01-14-2005, 05:47 PM
i got a 42 pilot in mine, i pump the gas 3 times, choke it and it starts first click of the starter in very cold weather

fst400exrider
01-14-2005, 06:11 PM
mine startes fine. its all stock. turn on choke, hit start button within 5 sec, its going

pead_24
01-14-2005, 06:11 PM
I still have the stock 38 pilot jet in all i do is pump the gas about 3 times put choke halfway start it it runs for a little then dies pump the gas 3 more times start it and then hold the throttle open very little till it idles on its own Works for me

muddy400EX
01-14-2005, 08:40 PM
damn, am i the only one that has this problem? i just charged the battery and with a full charge it still dont freakin start. the battery ran down tryin to start it. the last 400 i had did the same thing. once it gets below about 40 degrees the piece of chit wouldnt start. its pissin me off!!

2001300exguy
01-14-2005, 10:40 PM
my 300 does it alot.

speedy400
01-15-2005, 12:05 AM
Last year my 400 did the same thing, dead batterys and what not, now we have one of those portable yellow jumpers. Man, thats the best 40$ we ever spent, its also got a little compressor on the back for fillin up tires! Get yourself one of em, if its the 1st time you're starting it for the day or if its cold, and you have access to the jumper, just hook the jumper up, better than gettin pissed because it wont start again.-darren

n00b on a 400ex
01-15-2005, 12:33 AM
always keep it in the garage whenever possible, ive learned how to start it up, (has an HMF full with the jetting it recommended), just put full choke on, hit the starter and give it some gas, keep it running for 30 seconds or so then go down to half, then keep it above stalling until it smooths out, then use no choke and let it warm up, keep the revs about 500 or so above idle though

sportraxkid
01-15-2005, 12:34 AM
Mine will start right up in the single digits no problem. I have a 42 pilot though. I pump the gas 3 times and it starts then It usually dies. Then I do it again and it starts right up then I let it set and Idle for like 5-10 mins to warm up. As much as I would like to say I hate polaris every polaris we have owned started right up and Idled with no choke first push of the button!

muddy400EX
01-15-2005, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by n00b on a 400ex
always keep it in the garage whenever possible, ive learned how to start it up, (has an HMF full with the jetting it recommended), just put full choke on, hit the starter and give it some gas, keep it running for 30 seconds or so then go down to half, then keep it above stalling until it smooths out, then use no choke and let it warm up, keep the revs about 500 or so above idle though

well the thing is, when its cold it dont even start so i cant give it gas or it just floods it. if it fires up its easy to keep runnin. but mine dont event fire in the cold:(

300ex73
01-15-2005, 04:15 AM
Try replacing your spark plug. A friend of mine had a very similar, nearly exactly the same problem. His plugs were fouling out when trying to start it. It may not fix the problem, but it's a good place to start.

And if that works for you, you may want to turn you fuel screw back a little.

brian-250
01-15-2005, 08:43 AM
no problems here.:)

pead_24
01-15-2005, 11:51 AM
yeah check your spark plug for sure to see if its fouled. mine wouldn't start once so i checked the plug and it was junk so i put a new one in and fire right up

Grut
01-15-2005, 02:14 PM
I had the same problem a year ago it was the plug. No pops or sputters usually fouled plug. No if don't stay lit had that also but know it from the stock 38 jet.
I have a WB exhaust, uni filter, and have correct jetting but did not put in the 42 yet because I don't take it out anymore in the winter--screwed my grass up super bad more than once--I just can't get off the damn thing and 3 acres just isn't enough room to ride hard..:devil:

Good luck

Grut

markk
01-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Hey they are right, Check your plug first, Im running a stock piolet jet, 38, and mine fires right up with no choke usally!, Um u might want to pull your piolet jet out and make sure everything is clean and going good inside your carb!

zlam27
01-15-2005, 05:57 PM
if your battery wont stay charged, you might wanna look into replacing that.

if thats not the problem, i would change the plug and see where that puts ya.

last but not least, go out and buy either a #40 or #42 pilot jet. i promise you, it will be one of the best inexpensive "mods" - especially with your aftermarket pipe. my friend has an HMF and the stock pilot jet and i have a T-4 with a 42 pilot, mine starts/idles/runs better in the colder temps than his ever will.
(you might also need to tweak your fuel screw - about 2.5 turns out seems about right)

zach

honda92
01-15-2005, 06:49 PM
rode mine today at -7, started just like it always does.

DamageInc
01-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Do you still have summer gas in it? They use a different blend in the winter that atomizes better in the cold (gasoline doesn't burn- gasoline vapors do). If you have summer gas in there, it could cause hard starting. Try some fresh gas, change your plug, put in a 42 pilot, and let us know what happens.

Oh yeah, and be careful about cranking your starter for too long at one time- Honda starters are not cheap!

tryken
01-16-2005, 03:57 PM
I used to have the same problem until i tried different things. Make sure and keep plenty of plugs around. To get it started now, definately put a fresh plug in, drain the fuel out of the carb, then pump the gas between 2-4 times, go to full choke. Hit the starter, it should start then die pretty quick, go to half choke, about 2 more pumps on the gas, it should start. Let it idle on its own for about 30 seconds to a minute then start gradually giving it gas. When you are done riding turn the gas off and let it run til all the gas is out of the carb and it dies. That is what made the biggest difference for me.

atvrulz
01-16-2005, 05:04 PM
I just bought a new stock 400EX. This last week here in Minnesota it has not got above 5 degrees F. I have had problems starting it.
So now, i bring the battery inside my house everynight and i am constantly removing the spark plug and using sand paper, to shine up the end of it. I put the choke full on, and it will barely start, but once it fires up once, i will just really rev it up on full choke for a few minutes until i turn off the choke off and let it idle by itself. So my advice, would be to bring your battery inside everynight and get some sandpaper to clean off the end of your plug.
good luck.

pead_24
01-16-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by atvrulz
I just bought a new stock 400EX. This last week here in Minnesota it has not got above 5 degrees F. I have had problems starting it.
So now, i bring the battery inside my house everynight and i am constantly removing the spark plug and using sand paper, to shine up the end of it. I put the choke full on, and it will barely start, but once it fires up once, i will just really rev it up on full choke for a few minutes until i turn off the choke off and let it idle by itself. So my advice, would be to bring your battery inside everynight and get some sandpaper to clean off the end of your plug.
good luck.

Your revving the crap out of a cold engine???????:rolleyes:

schootar
01-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Fresh plug, put in a 42 pilot jet and fresh gas. A fresh plug would be the first thing that I would do.

Fortman_400
01-17-2005, 03:36 PM
check ur plug, they foul easy when ur crankin the engine alot without it starting.
good idea to go with a #40 pilot jet, will make it run richer, which is good for starting and idle.
taking the battery isn't gonna make a huge difference, just lets the battery have a SLIGHTLY higher charge than when its cold, but would only matter if it cranked slowely during start when the battery was cold.
ummm.. i can't think of nething else other than make sure ur gettin fuel and spark,
i kno my 400ex is cold-blooded also, as alot of them are

Jimford
01-18-2005, 06:33 AM
I live in Buffalo NY and it is -20 wind chill today. I had a problem starting mine before I changed my pilot jet to a 42. Now it starts right up.

muddy400EX
01-18-2005, 09:22 PM
i got it started. i took the plug out and cleaned it up cuz it was black and wet and it started right up. i guess it just got flooded out cuz of the cold weather

quad
01-19-2005, 06:08 AM
I bought me a 400ex last winter.When I got it home,it was cold n snowin.I went to start it,I coulda swore I was just sold the biggest piece of chit ever made.I did get it started tho.I went to a different dealer to see if it was normal,they said yes.I never fouled a plug tho,so I cant complain.Since then,I sold the 400ex and got a z400.Gee I dont miss those starting woes.:D

Rico
01-19-2005, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by quad
I bought me a 400ex last winter.When I got it home,it was cold n snowin.I went to start it,I coulda swore I was just sold the biggest piece of chit ever made.I did get it started tho.I went to a different dealer to see if it was normal,they said yes.I never fouled a plug tho,so I cant complain.Since then,I sold the 400ex and got a z400.Gee I dont miss those starting woes.:D

You went to all that trouble when you could have swapped out your pilot jet in 20 minutes time...:eek2:

Sorry to hear you stepped down to a Z400........:eek:

:devil: :devil:

quad
01-19-2005, 07:51 AM
Nah....I sold it because I found out they have no balls!!:blah: I aint really seen 1 yet that dont smoke soon after ya buy em.I babied the he11 outta that thing,changed oil about every 2 rides,just to have it burn oil.My friend bought one also,it drinks oil.Just about everyone I seen at the wisp,looked like a train comin thru.:confused:
The 05's aint too impressive either,but they make a great traction getter!!:blah:

Not to mention the local dealer sucks!! Just not having to ever go back there was reason enough :(

397ccEX
01-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Quad did u buy your ex new?
I bought mine used its an 02 and starts right up with full choke no complaints:D

tryken
01-19-2005, 07:55 PM
That's funny, I have never heard of a 400ex that was taken care of burning oil or smoking.

Les Davis
01-22-2005, 09:33 PM
I'll second that. I'm on my second 400 and I've never had a problem or even remotely heard of that oil burning issue. Maybe some fouled plugs or cold starts but thats it. Sound like allotta bull to me. "Ride Red"