PDA

View Full Version : Why are my a-arms so hard to move

awsomeaussies
01-13-2005, 04:17 PM
I just bought some used Denton a-arms for my 400ex. When installing them, I had to use a mallet to get them to fit. Now that I have the bolts in, FINALLY, the a-arms are pretty hard to move up and down by hand. I don't know if that is normal. I would think that they should move easily.

EvilJester400EX
01-13-2005, 05:24 PM
You probably just tightened the bolts too much, loosen them a little.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Do you have a freshly powder coated frame if so you may need to shave the bushing down alittle

Pappy
01-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
Do you have a freshly powder coated frame if so you may need to shave the bushing down alittle

ding ding ding! :D

yes fresh pc will require some fitment adjustments, even with used arms.

awsomeaussies
01-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Ya, I did just get my frame powder coated. But even before I got it powder coated I couldn't get my a-arms on w/o a lot of pounding.:macho

Are the a-arms supposed to move freely? I honestly don't think I'll be able to get the a-arms out now that they are already in.:ermm:

sprtrx300ex
01-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by awsomeaussies
Ya, I did just get my frame powder coated. But even before I got it powder coated I couldn't get my a-arms on w/o a lot of pounding.:macho

Are the a-arms supposed to move freely? I honestly don't think I'll be able to get the a-arms out now that they are already in.:ermm:

Yes they are supposed to move freely. When I tighten mine, I hold the arms up (w/o the shock in place) tighten up pretty good, then slightly loosen until the arm drops under its own weight.

It sounds like either A- Your frame is bent or B- your arms are bent or wasn't welded properly...

400exKy1e
01-14-2005, 07:41 AM
did you over torque the bolts before like with your stock a arms? i got my 400ex used and when i replaced the a arms i had to do a little pounding with the hammer to get the bushings how i wanted them

HiZ
01-14-2005, 09:33 AM
You will have to "adjust" a little for clearanc on the new tolerance from to the powdercoat being in there.
be sure to use locking hardware and GREASE them

HiZ
01-14-2005, 09:34 AM
Ummm yeah grease the joints from the frame to the arm/Not the bolt to nut. use Locktite there

Dave400ex
01-14-2005, 04:29 PM
You could shave the bushings down a little, or they do get easier to move with some ride time on them.