PDA

View Full Version : Which pipe is louder????

400exNH
04-26-2002, 02:31 PM
Which is louder, the White Bros E-Series(12discs) or the FMF PowerCore 4 S/A?

twisted threads
04-26-2002, 02:33 PM
I had a Power core 4 and it was Louder than the WB's E series.

slates74
04-26-2002, 05:43 PM
Please don't tell me you're trying to buy the loudest pipe:(. However if you're trying to buy a pipe that is quieter a big thumbs up.:D

Jim300ex
04-26-2002, 08:03 PM
my e series is loud as heck!

Dave400ex
04-26-2002, 08:36 PM
I think they are about the same. I have heard both and they are close. You could get the Powerbomb Header and that would Add Power and Cut the Noise down.

nigsrig
04-26-2002, 11:45 PM
i had a wb e-series and got a yoshimura,you will be alot happier with the yoshi,,sounds better and better performance gains

twisted threads
04-27-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by nigsrig
i had a wb e-series and got a yoshimura,you will be alot happier with the yoshi,,sounds better and better performance gains

I hear you there that is what I did and I love my Yoshi over my E-series.

400exNH
04-27-2002, 07:14 AM
I would be interested in the Yosh but I heard that you have to purchase the full system. Is this true? Plus if you can only purchased the slip on do you still get the same perf gains? If someone had a link or something to the slip on only that would be great...

04-27-2002, 10:17 PM
Dont get the yoshi unless u r very carful cuz mine hangs past the plastic and some times gets hit by other quadswhen racing plus if u pop wheelies then u can bend the end cap!:blah

Stunz
04-28-2002, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by hondaguy1987
Dont get the yoshi unless u r very carful cuz mine hangs past the plastic and some times gets hit by other quadswhen racing plus if u pop wheelies then u can bend the end cap!:blah

This is true, BUT, all pipes hangs back more than the stock. The Yoshi stick out a little, not as much as E-Series.

FMF is louder than 12-disk E-Series.
18-disk E-Series is the loudest I've heard. That;s what I had before switching over to Yoshi. Yoshi makes the same power with less noise....that is how you rate a silencer!

Dave400ex
04-28-2002, 11:59 AM
A lot of the Pipes do Hang Past the Grab Bar. I would not like that at all. If you don`t want a Pipe like that you could Check out the TC. It is really Short.

04-28-2002, 01:44 PM
If i were you i wouldn't just go out and buy a loud pipe just to be loud. That gives quads a bad name which makes people not wanna let them ride anywhere. Buy the pipe with good gains all over. Any after market pipe with give gains (excluding Cobra,and Dg) so you are safe with anything ya get.

Dave400ex
04-28-2002, 05:17 PM
I agree. Just don`t Buy a Loud Pipe. I like the FMF Setups. You could get a Yoshi, or even the Full Bill`s Pipe might be Good. Just about all the Pipes add the same Power. Just get the one you like Best.

Atomic83
04-28-2002, 06:20 PM
I fall back on the grab bar all the time and my pipe has never hit the ground.

04-28-2002, 08:19 PM
I've heard the WB E-Series produces a nice sound w/ out the Spark Arrestor. I personally think loud pipes sound wicked but I would rather keep peace w/ the neighbors. My friend has a Yoshi slip-on (no you don't have to buy the full system) equiped w/ a tuning kit. The kit allows you to control the dbs w/ out losing power. I would suggest you go w/ a Yoshi Slip-On and a tuning kit. -s0

ChadEXer
04-29-2002, 08:20 AM
The yoshi pies are very sweet!! i had one on my 416! made Huge gains over the Big gun that was on it! I never had a problem with mine hitting on a wheelie either!! one of the best features of the Yosh is the headpipes. they have very good headers!!

04-29-2002, 08:21 AM
I don't know why you guys are all against the dg pipe. I have a dg and i love it, it sounds better than most i've heard yea its loud but haven't you guys heard harley's they run loud pipes. Another thing loud pipes save lives. You can hear someone comeing, alot easier than you can see there flag.

04-29-2002, 08:37 AM
Yeah, my name is mike and i have a friend who has a white brothers e series....it is ****, dont even think about getting that pipe. The FMF Powercore 4 is alot louder and adds alot more power to your bike. Go with the FMF, you'll love it!:macho

skemp
04-29-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by honda_400ex
Another thing loud pipes save lives. You can hear someone comeing, alot easier than you can see there flag.

You aren't going to hear anybody over your quad while riding, so you can ditch the He||'s Angels dialogue. I don't mean to be a d!ck or anything, but I would rather have a place to ride than look "cool". I guarantee if anybody that loves loud pipes sat inside their home with a bunch of morons riding circles around it with ear-bleeding pipes, they would change their point of view real quick. Their is nothing wrong with being courteous. :cool:

400exNH
04-29-2002, 11:32 AM
Guys...
I'm not trying to purchase the loudest pipe, I'm actually trying to purchase the quietest of the two. I've read this forum inside out and I'm amazed of how many opinions I've read about which pipe to purchase. Basically I think it comes down to what you think looks and sounds good. The looking part is easy it's the sounding part that I think everyone has a hard time with. I am not as fortunate as some of you as I only ride with a few buddies, and only one of us has a pipe on their 400. It's a HMF and man it's too loud for me. I think it sounds sweet , but again just too loud. I wish their was a better way to hear how each pipe sounds (including DB) so I can make a decision). I was thinking about the FMF PC4Q but I'm concerned I might spend 200+ dollars and not get any HP gain. I know if I purchase the WhiteBros E I will get gain I just don't know if will like the sound. I've heard the Yosh a long time ago and I belive I like the sound. Decisions Decisions.... I have yet to hear a PC4.
later
C

400exNH
04-29-2002, 11:35 AM
Oh yeah, I've heard a white brothers E series on a Raptor and I thought it sounded hmmm.. what's the word, sloppy sounding.. kinda hard to explain, just not the tight sound I am looking for.

Does the 400ex with a white Bro E series sound the same as a Raptor with a white brothers E series?? The Raptor seemed a bit loud for me but I was hoping it was because of the motor size 660. TIA

NateLHonda
04-29-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by 400exNH
Oh yeah, I've heard a white brothers E series on a Raptor and I thought it sounded hmmm.. what's the word, sloppy sounding.. kinda hard to explain, just not the tight sound I am looking for.

Does the 400ex with a white Bro E series sound the same as a Raptor with a white brothers E series?? The Raptor seemed a bit loud for me but I was hoping it was because of the motor size 660. TIA

here is the sound of a raptor with a White Brothers E Series,
i think it sounds pretty sweet
http://www.teamdunesatv.com/pipesounds/raptorwb.mp3

Maryland 400EX
04-30-2002, 03:41 PM
400EX NH, the stock pipe on the 400 EX produces the same amount of HP that all the aftermarket pipes offer. All you get is more noise. Whereas the Craptor gains 12 HP or so with a pipe, the 400 EX gains virtually nothing. Take your stock pipe off, grind the welds off the inside of the header and enjoy. That seems to be the ticket. Save your dough...

ChadEXer
04-30-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Maryland 400EX
400EX NH, the stock pipe on the 400 EX produces the same amount of HP that all the aftermarket pipes offer. All you get is more noise. Whereas the Craptor gains 12 HP or so with a pipe, the 400 EX gains virtually nothing. Take your stock pipe off, grind the welds off the inside of the header and enjoy. That seems to be the ticket. Save your dough...
That is what tom Carlson believes too!! But he says you should run a good slip on,,,especially if you have a built motor!

Maryland 400EX
04-30-2002, 04:30 PM
Where I ride the noise would be a problem... Luckily the stock exhaust works well... As for the mods, all of them are relatively cheap compared to my other hobbies (Supra @ Hayabusa) so I'll be making big HP soon.

Stunz
04-30-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Maryland 400EX
400EX NH, the stock pipe on the 400 EX produces the same amount of HP that all the aftermarket pipes offer. All you get is more noise. .... Save your dough...

This is true if your going to base all of your findings and research on paper.

I went from Stock to E-Series (12 and 18 disk) to Modified Stock then finally to Yoshi.

I can easily say that in this real life test, both of these aftermarket pipes made a big differance in power over the stock pipe. What I like about the Yoshi is it makes the same power as the E-Series, but a lot quieter (true test of a silencer).

The Yoshi looks "wicked" cool to boot.

Maryland 400EX
04-30-2002, 04:35 PM
How was the stocker modified? What was the performance difference between the modded stocker and the Yoshimura?

Stunz
04-30-2002, 04:54 PM
My modified stocker was about the same as stock, except it was a tiny bit louder. That's why I got the Yoshi. I though it would be OK. But going from a "piped" 400 to a vertually stock 400 was killing me. The low end power that I got used to was gone. It felt like I was on a Warrior, compaired to what I was used to.

My modifications consisted of taking off the end cap and drilling a bunch of 3/8" holes in the internal end baffle, then putting the end cap back on. As a last resort, I even cut the spark-arrestor off to see if that was restricting flow.

I know there is anouther way of modifing the stock pipe "Gabe Modification" that might have worked better. But I was in a rush and had a new 3/8" drill bit in the tool box.