PDA

View Full Version : Polish Motor???

ChadEXer
04-26-2002, 01:08 PM
Just needing a little help on figuring out what to do to make my motor look good. Everything on my bike is brand new and I want to make the motor look good too(when i get it back!)! Can the whole motor be polished?? i have a freind with a 250R and his whole motor is real shiny and I believe he said the whole thing was polished! Are their any other ways to make the motor look nice??
Thanks

Deathbringer
04-26-2002, 01:15 PM
You can do it...but trust me on this.. if you polish the whole thing even the top where the fins are..they are a b***h to keep looking good. I would do the whole thing but just the edges of the fins on the motor, it looks good and is easy to maintain. Just my two cents. One of my buddies had it done on a older bike and it looked great for awhile but polishing to keep it that way is h**l

twisted threads
04-26-2002, 01:46 PM
Yes, like deathbringer said, it is possible but you will hate the time you half to do to keep the motor looking good. If I were you I would polish just the side cases and if you wanted the case halfs also that would look sweat. I polished my side cases on my 250r my self and they look good, Im thinking about doing the side cases on my EX but I really dont know if I want to start making my Ex look so nice that I won't ride it in the dirt.:p

bama400ex
04-26-2002, 01:59 PM
another thing you could do is just strip al the paint off it and get a scotch bright paint and rust remover. just put it on a grinder and go over the whole motor, it gives it a nice brushed aluminum look. this is what im doing but im gonna have my side case powdercoated.

Rastus
04-26-2002, 02:06 PM
If you do that, id put some clear coats on the stuff you put on the grinder, to try to keep some of the stuff from rusting, if there is any parts that arent aluminum.

04-26-2002, 02:29 PM
JUST MAKE SURE THAT IF YOU ARE USING A WIRE BRUSH FOR A GRINDER OR A DIE GRINDER MAKE SURE IT IS NEW. AT LEAST MAKE SURE IT HAS ONLY BEEN USE ON ALUM. PRODUCTS, IF IN DOUBT JUST BUY A NEW ONE. WHY YOU ASK? WHEN A WIRE BRUSH IS USED ON REGULAR BLACK STEEL OR A METAL WITH RUST, AND YOU TURN AROUND AND USE THE SAME BRUSH ON STAINLESS OR ALUM. THE RUST AND BLACK METALS BECOME IMPREGNATED IN THE ALUM OR STAINLESS. CAUSING ALUM TO TURN A BLACK COLOR AND STAINLESS STEEL TO RUST. AND I KNOW THIS FROM PAST EXPERIENCE. SO I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

bama400ex
04-26-2002, 02:38 PM
good point

skemp
04-27-2002, 12:40 AM
Go to my site. Mine still look good.

Sparky416ex
04-27-2002, 09:17 PM
What you need to do is get some wenol or mothers. I prefer wenol and take a small tooth brush and get in between the fins. It doesnt take long at all. After you rubb on it with just the tooth brush rap a rag around the toothbrush and get the remains off. It will make your engine look good.

ChadEXer
04-29-2002, 07:43 AM
One of my friends was telling me to just get some high heat grey engine paint and paint the whole thing. Do you think that would look funny?? i want it to look nice but i dont really want to have to be polishing for hours after each race!!! i was thinking about getting the cases powdercoated since everything else is already coated!! I might be getting a Hinson quick release clutch cover too!

Adams44
04-29-2002, 07:56 AM
You might think about having the cylinder and the head "beed blasted" at a machine shop. They use glass beads (similar to sand blasting) and it gives stock new brush finish - looks like a new motor. It is cheap and you don't even have to do it. I had mine done for $25 for the cylinder and the head.
After you do this and it is time to wash it, engine degreaser before you wash it helps.

Polishing would look good, but to polish evenly in the all the hard areas is nearly impossible and it will end up looking like crap, unless you want to spend 50 hours on it.

CBW
04-29-2002, 08:07 AM
i have polished side cases on some of my stuff and they are great when clean,,,,but the powdercoated ones are so east to take care of........i would say take them to the shop that did your frame and get them done.

Adams44
04-29-2002, 08:11 AM
That looks great! Very professional.

CBW
04-29-2002, 08:13 AM
here is an oil tank in the same color i did for shoope1.......

big-guy
04-29-2002, 11:44 AM
Make sure you wear a face shield, not just glasses.
I had a tiny piece of metal embedded in my cornea, not fun. Everytime i moved my eye, it would cut the inside of my eyelid. The doctor dug it out with a needle, then had to use a drill to remove the rust.
If the light is just right, I can still see the hole it left.

Red Rooster
04-29-2002, 12:12 PM
$h!t! That makes my eyes water just thinking about it.
BTW, I just polished my rear brake caliper and it was a pain. But it looks cool.

ChadEXer
04-29-2002, 12:19 PM
I polished all of my calipers just the other day. I will prolly get it beed blasted then just have the side cases powdercoated!!