PDA

View Full Version : Ford F-250

hondaidontknow2
01-12-2005, 08:59 AM
I have been tossing around the idea of purchasing a Ford F-250 Truck. If I decide to do so, I would purchase the Ford F-250 V8 5.4L Crew Cab XLT 4X4 AUTO, the full sized truck. I have been searching online, talking to some friends, and reading information and reviews of this truck online, too.

I am not sure, if anyone of ATVriders happens to drive one of these particular trucks.

I have heard of these trucks having engine and transmission problems online, but everyone I have talked with that owns this exact truck, is extremely happen with every aspect of their purchase of this type of truck.

If anyone has any first-hand experience with this truck, or happens to own this type of truck, if you wouldn't mind posting your thoughts of the truck, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks all,
:)

quadrcr161
01-12-2005, 09:07 AM
i just picked up a 2000 f250 a fwe months ago and i wish i had gotten it sooner. mine is the 2wd super cab, 7.3 diesel. the truck i had before was a 99 gmc 1500, fully loaded. although i dropped in interor comfort (leather down to cloth but still have all power) i couldnt be happier. i was looking for one before i picked up the gmc but couldnt find one. i just check my milage yesterday and im getting 20.1** mpg with the 7.3, but i dont drive it daily. it rides, turns and pulls better then my gmc could ever think about. after drivng the f250 for the last few months, i go to get into my old gmc (my dad bought it from me when i got the 250) and dont feel comfortable. also when i was at lorettas national, most trucks used to tow trailers were f250's and f350's.

trict_out
01-12-2005, 09:12 AM
i have a 2002 ford f-250 4x4 regular can xlt with the triton v-8. I have never had the slightest bit of trouble with my truck.i pull a lot of water wagons, gravity wagons, hay wagons, tobacco wagons etc with it and it does fine. Invest in a set of aftermarket tires though if your usin it for pulling. It's comfortable,handles great for a full size truck,roomy,and has get up and go. The only complaint i have is having to lock in the hubs for 4X4 and im only gettin about 15 miles a gallon. Any other questions let me know.

hondaidontknow2
01-12-2005, 09:13 AM
Quadrcr161...that is great to hear. Up until the past few months, I really haven't been looking into the Ford, but it keeps overtaking the other trucks in my mind. I was going to go with the Chevy 2500, but the Ford seems to be an awesome truck.

I have also noticed that the majority of trailers and gooseneck trailers are either pulled by a F250 or F350.

I appreciate your response and feedback.

trict_out...Thank you for your response. I'm getting really great feedback from you guys. I appreciate it!

EPDP99
01-12-2005, 09:13 AM
the only problem with the 5.4 is pulling heavy loads, other than that your golden. I have a 99 ex cab short bed with a v10 and love it

MY450R
01-12-2005, 09:15 AM
yes but are you guys plowing with them???
that makes a big difference
i plow with an f250 and so far so good but ive had to replace trannys in many of my fords but it goes with the territory
i own all fords (15 trucks) but i used to own chevys and they were worse

tamehart
01-12-2005, 09:17 AM
I have a 5.4 motor in my F-250 and pull an enclosed 8X20 trailer. It is one of the heavier ones too. To be honest, the only time I notice the trailer is behind me is when I pull out at redlights. I havn't had a single problem with mine (2003). Love having a truck, makes things so much easier.

quadrcr161
01-12-2005, 09:24 AM
the reason i looked at ford was thats mainly what i see pulling trailers at tracks. chevy didnt have a very good diesel till the new duramax and i didnt want a big block, plus the new duramax was way out of my price range. the cummings in the dodge is a great motor, but everything else about the truck turned me away, not a big fan of dodges. they have a few tranny upgrade parts at dieselinnovation.com (i think) that i have read make a differnce.

edit: a few weeks ago me and a friend went to a race. he has a brand new f250 4wd 4 door with a new halmark 20x8.8x7 ft trailer and with both our quads and other parts in the trailer we cruised at 85 and the truck towed great.
also i got my f250 about the time the hurricane hit fla and my grandmothers place just north of mobile. we loaded 2 generators, 25 gal of gas, 55 gal of water, 2 ladders, chainsaws, wood, and other stuff in the bed, plus our clothes and 3 people. my dad drove down there and was his 1st time to drive my 250 i told him to set cruise at 75, once we started hitting hills the truck never had to drop down a gear and the speedo or tach never moved. with just the 300ex in my gmc it would hit a hill at 75, drop into the passing gear 1/2 way up the hill at 60mph.

416exmx
01-12-2005, 10:51 AM
I just bought a 03 F-250 crewcab FX4 Lariat with the 7.3 powerstroke. So far i love it. Have not had it on a trailer yet. I also have a F150 supercrew with the 5.4L and it is a good motor also.

TM426
01-12-2005, 02:46 PM
I had a 97 f-350 with the 7.3 diesel. The best truck I ever had Im still kicking myself for selling it. Diesel is the way to go. Most power, easy power upgades with huge gains, and still maintain reliability and good MPG. You wont regret it go with the deisel!!!

dpizz450
01-12-2005, 02:56 PM
my dad had a F250 diesel ext. cab about a year ago. he sold it for a 350 dually. but anyways i dont remember him having any problems with his truck.

hondaidontknow2
01-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks for all of the great replies guys.

What does everyone think of the newer F-250 PowerStroke 6.0's or the Chevy 2500 HD? I've narrowed it down pretty much to those options. No matter which truck is purchased, rather it be the Ford or the Chevy, it will definitely be body lifted and suspension lifted.

TAB
01-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Go with the ford 6.0,It runs great and they have alot of great horsepower mods for it.You can make that thing beat mustangs.And if you ever decide to lift it,it will be alot cheaper.I love mine!!

TM426
01-12-2005, 03:57 PM
My friend has the 2004 7.3 crew cab long bed 4wd (extra wieght) and he beats my other friend with a hemi ram crew 4wd drag racing everytime. The guy with the deisel only has 4" exhaust and a chip. the ram is stock. I would stay with the good 7.3 design (its been around forever because its made by international) just my opinion though.

250x#93
01-12-2005, 04:45 PM
One word

POWERSTROKE!!!!!!!!!!:devil:

EPDP99
01-12-2005, 04:58 PM
agree stroke it, lifts are much cheaper than that IFS crap chevy has. solid beam front is the way to go. my bros got a 03 7.3 CC LB lifted running 35s with a chip, filter and exhaust and I have a 99 EC SB lifted running 35s as well.

bulkdriverlp
01-12-2005, 05:05 PM
i drive a '99 f-250 sc 4x4 occasionally at work and i wouldnt buy anything else. the boom truck at work is a '01 f-550 with powerstroke and one of our propane trucks missed a driveway and put the passenger side duals in a ditch, (close to tipping) was 75% full bout 20,000 lobs. got the boom truck on pavement, pushed the gas 1/4 way down in low 4x4 and walked it right out. no lie. POWERSTROKE OR NOTHIN...

dodgeram
01-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by 250x#93
One word

POWERSTROKE!!!!!!!!!!:devil:

More like Powerjoke..........................get a CUMMINS. Don't bother with the fords or chevys. Everyone thinks because it is a v8 it has to pull better.......Nope look at the statistics the cummins has the most power right now.....NOw repeat after me.....6 IN A ROW, BUILT TO TOW.

EPDP99
01-12-2005, 05:24 PM
haha, my bros stroker will out pull my buddies cummings any day of the week. my buddy doesnt like his ho cummings. he was rather unimpressed with it.

bulkdriverlp
01-12-2005, 05:38 PM
cummins=slug

2002400ex
01-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
the reason i looked at ford was thats mainly what i see pulling trailers at tracks. chevy didnt have a very good diesel till the new duramax and i didnt want a big block, plus the new duramax was way out of my price range. the cummings in the dodge is a great motor, but everything else about the truck turned me away, not a big fan of dodges. they have a few tranny upgrade parts at dieselinnovation.com (i think) that i have read make a differnce.

edit: a few weeks ago me and a friend went to a race. he has a brand new f250 4wd 4 door with a new halmark 20x8.8x7 ft trailer and with both our quads and other parts in the trailer we cruised at 85 and the truck towed great.
also i got my f250 about the time the hurricane hit fla and my grandmothers place just north of mobile. we loaded 2 generators, 25 gal of gas, 55 gal of water, 2 ladders, chainsaws, wood, and other stuff in the bed, plus our clothes and 3 people. my dad drove down there and was his 1st time to drive my 250 i told him to set cruise at 75, once we started hitting hills the truck never had to drop down a gear and the speedo or tach never moved. with just the 300ex in my gmc it would hit a hill at 75, drop into the passing gear 1/2 way up the hill at 60mph.
where is your grandmothers place just north of mobile?

Merriman
01-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by TM426
I had a 97 f-350 with the 7.3 diesel. The best truck I ever had Im still kicking myself for selling it. Diesel is the way to go. Most power, easy power upgades with huge gains, and still maintain reliability and good MPG. You wont regret it go with the deisel!!!

Yes DEFINITLY get the diesel if your going to get a big truck. I have an 01 f-250 with the 7.3 diesel and I can pull my 35ft 5th wheel toyhauler up some big hills and still maintain 55mph. And my truck is stock, and the trailer weighs 15,000lbs loaded. When I cruise with just the truck on the highway I get around 18mpg and 11 towing. Much better than gas engines. Also modifiying them for power is easy with larger gains for less money.

quadrcr161
01-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by 2002400ex
where is your grandmothers place just north of mobile?

repton area,

not many people says anythign bad about the cumings, just the package it comes in. :D

440exnacsracer
01-12-2005, 09:13 PM
well your on one right track......getting a ford....next, if you just dont have the money for a diesel, drop the 4x4. my f150 has the 5.4 and yes it is a good motor, but not enough to pull a f-250. if you get a ford diesel, you can count on 300k miles. we used to have a f450 with 450k on the origional motor and transmission. my moms 7.3 has 120k and has not DONE A THING other than change the oil and filters, it has NEVER been to the shop, how many chevys or dodges can say that?.,,, after all id rather be strokin' than cummin:blah: and i would never drive something that got its symbol from someones wallpaper (chevy)

quadrcr161
01-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by 440exnacsracer
we used to have a f450 with 450k on the origional motor and transmission. my moms 7.3 has 120k and has not DONE A THING other than change the oil and filters, it has NEVER been to the shop, how many chevys or dodges can say that

my dads old 1500 chevy blows a hole in your post, it was a 91 extcab 1500. we got it from his work for $600 with a mesed up tranny and 423,000 miles. it was a shop truck so you know it wasnt taken care of too well. i put a tranny in it and towed my nissan to tx and back about 2 weeks later. we never hooked the speedo back up b/c we didnt have the right gears for the tailstock but we used it and drove it almost every day for another 4 yrs. we just sold that truck this summer and the guy is still driving it. :D

actually i dont remember chaning the oil but maybe once the whole time it was here.

Chanman420q
01-12-2005, 10:44 PM
for what you are going to be doing.. get a Chevy S10 with the 2.2 engine. Trust me on this one:rolleyes: :eek2: :p

:D

2002400ex
01-12-2005, 11:00 PM
repton area,

not many people says anythign bad about the cumings, just the package it comes in. :D
:eek2: REPTON!!! I live like 35 minutes from there! Did you come down after the storm?

quadrcr161
01-13-2005, 07:37 AM
yea, she had some roof damage and my uncle had some bad damage, but the houses were saved, thank god. my uncle lives i think in brewton and had a tree fall on his car, and miss his house by a few feet. we carried so much stuff in the back of my 250 i dont think the gmc could have made it with out a strugle. we left a generator, some water and a cooler with them and the rest of the gas and water at my uncles that live next to my grandmother.

2002400ex
01-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Yeah there were tornadoes everywhere from Ivan. There were so many trees down that it took 1 hour to go 5 miles because we had to go around trees and thru peoples yard. quadrcr161,where are you originally from?

quadrcr161
01-13-2005, 03:04 PM
actually alliance al,you might know it as oak grove, where a huge tornado hit in the schools football field and destroyed the school and killed a number of people back in 98.

mrusk
01-13-2005, 03:13 PM
95% of you have no clue what you are talking about. I would not buy a 03 or newer powerstoke. They all have proablems. For the past two years they had some many proablems with the 6.0 it isn't even funny. Now proablems with the 04 tranny are showing up. The 05 tranny is junk. Most 05 trannys are not even lasting 3000 miles. The case is cracking and spilling oil everywhere. The 6.0 is faster and more powerful than the old 7.3. However, there is no way the 6.0 will last anywhere as long as the 7.3. Ford really screwed up on the 6.0 and the torqshift tranny.

The cummins is the best desiel engine out there. It is a medium duty engine in a light duty chasis. THe ideal truck setup would be a cummins engine, and allison tranny, all in a ford chasis.

Matt

quadrcr161
01-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by mrusk
. THe ideal truck setup would be a cummins engine, and allison tranny, all in a ford chasis.

Matt

i like that idea lol, fords looks, the cummings power and the allison trans.

ive seen a local f350 4 door, red with LEMON spraypainted all over it on my ways to work, well this morning i saw it on a rollback. :ermm:

Foxyangel0425
01-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by hondaidontknow2
I have been tossing around the idea of purchasing a Ford F-250 Truck. If I decide to do so, I would purchase the Ford F-250 V8 5.4L Crew Cab XLT 4X4 AUTO, the full sized truck. I have been searching online, talking to some friends, and reading information and reviews of this truck online, too.

I am not sure, if anyone of ATVriders happens to drive one of these particular trucks.

I have heard of these trucks having engine and transmission problems online, but everyone I have talked with that owns this exact truck, is extremely happen with every aspect of their purchase of this type of truck.

If anyone has any first-hand experience with this truck, or happens to own this type of truck, if you wouldn't mind posting your thoughts of the truck, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks all,
:)

My husband works on and drives fords...we were thinking of also getting a f250 extended cab 4x4 towing package v8. But we ended up getting the f150 ext cab 4x4 towing package and nothing beats it. It rides like a dream & tows our 61 falcon and quads like there is nothing in the back.

Thump_It
01-13-2005, 04:33 PM
All the new deisel trucks will get transimission problems sooner or later. The new power and torque these trucks are producing is amazing. The motors are great, trannies not so good. Although there are many upgrades that do the trick for Ford, Dodge, and Chevy. My uncle has an '04 F350 lifted 8 inches on 38.5's. He has the full Banks System with tranny upgrades. He pulls a 28ft Ski boat behind it all the time. He has not had one problem. Next time don't isolate the few problems......I would bet anything that there are more Fords out there that run just fine compared to broken down ones 10 to 1.

hardkoratvmxr
01-13-2005, 04:48 PM
we have that exact truck and it has pretty decent power for a v8. we have pulled a 26 ft. camper going 80 85 mph with it and it ran great. we do have the lariet though. we just got done putting dual exhaust and a hypertech in it and it seems like it has gained a lot of power. ours is a navy blue f250 v8 superduty crew cab juss to add

400exdad
01-13-2005, 05:08 PM
Whenever I see an F-250 with a 5.4, I say... WHY? The motor is just big enough for a F-150. If you are going to go gas, get the V-10. If you are going to really work the truck, go ahead and spend the $$ and get the Pstroke. My friend has a crew cab 4WD with Pstroke and it is awesome. His 20' enclosed or 23' Malibu boat are pulled with ease. When he had his SuperCrew F-150 with 5.4L, it was overworked pulling the 20' enclosed... of course it was the first year and had 3.55's... to him, it was pathetic... but not as pathetic as my truck pulling a heavy 20' open trailer. :D

bulkdriverlp
01-13-2005, 06:10 PM
the ford dealer my wife works for has a '95 i think f-250 powerstroke with boss plow and salter on back theyve used for dealership plow truck for a lot of years. it has 395k runs like new...

440exnacsracer
01-13-2005, 09:10 PM
my dads old 1500 chevy blows a hole in your post, it was a 91 extcab 1500. we got it from his work for $600 with a mesed up tranny and 423,000 miles. it was a shop truck so you know it wasnt taken care of too well. i put a tranny in it and towed my nissan to tx and back about 2 weeks later. we never hooked the speedo back up b/c we didnt have the right gears for the tailstock but we used it and drove it almost every day for another 4 yrs. we just sold that truck this summer and the guy is still driving it. :D

actually i dont remember chaning the oil but maybe once the whole time it was here.

yea, you bought it with a "messed up tranny" no telling what else had been wrong with it,...and i will say this once in a blue moon, you might run across a chevy that will run forever, but im not a gambling man:cool:

quadrcr161
01-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by 440exnacsracer
yea, you bought it with a "messed up tranny" no telling what else had been wrong with it,...and i will say this once in a blue moon, you might run across a chevy that will run forever, but im not a gambling man:cool:

it was a shop truck, which means it had a record book. it still ran but wouldnt shift. we payed $600 for it, used it for 5 yrs and sold it for $1800. i think we did pretty good. :D

cletusEX
01-13-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by mrusk
95% of you have no clue what you are talking about. I would not buy a 03 or newer powerstoke. They all have proablems. For the past two years they had some many proablems with the 6.0 it isn't even funny. Now proablems with the 04 tranny are showing up. The 05 tranny is junk. Most 05 trannys are not even lasting 3000 miles. The case is cracking and spilling oil everywhere. The 6.0 is faster and more powerful than the old 7.3. However, there is no way the 6.0 will last anywhere as long as the 7.3. Ford really screwed up on the 6.0 and the torqshift tranny.

The cummins is the best desiel engine out there. It is a medium duty engine in a light duty chasis. THe ideal truck setup would be a cummins engine, and allison tranny, all in a ford chasis.

Matt

My brother has an 03 6.0 Powerstroke. It has around 35,000 miles, most of which are towing a 26 foot enclosed trailer. No problems yet but if you could let us know when we will start having problems with it that would be great, since you obviously know so much.:ermm: They only problems I've heard of where with the very first 6.0's and most of those problems where injectors, nothing to do with the trannys. Sorry I get a little tired of hearing all the 7.3 owners badmouthing the 6.0s.

hondaidontknow2
01-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Wow, I never even expected this thread to gain as many replies as it has. Thanks to everyone of you who replied!

I've been looking into these trucks in more detail, this being my first Ford purchase. I went to a local dealership today, hoping to get more information and a test drive on a truck. I took a look at the F-250 7.3 Powerstroke Crew and the F-250 5.4 Crew, and I liked the 7.3 in every category much better. They're both extremely nice trucks in my opinion, but I think I'm going to go for the Powerstroke instead.

I really appreciate every single reply.
Thank you,

dn1911
01-13-2005, 10:46 PM
there were a few people that had some very early bugs with the 6.0 in 03'. people get on forums and state they had a problem. next thing you know they all suck and are POS trucks that have a ton of problems.

i have been starting to look for a new truck. we have an 02' F-250 powerstroke. we love the truck but we want the big crew cab over our extended. i am a fan of the 7.3 and Cummins but after talking to someone i trust i don't really have any fears over the 6.0 and torque shift tranny.

i'm not sure what i we will get but i know it will more than likely be another big Blue Oval. Dodge has the best diesel but screwed up big on their new 4 door. the back seat isn't really any bigger. they are not holding some of their value like they should be because of this.

EPDP99
01-13-2005, 10:49 PM
the problem they are having with the trannys are a clipring that breaks. and in most cases its with trucks that have plows on them. there is a recall out for most of them that just needs the clip replaced. thats whats holds the piece on the shaft which is cracking the cases. wow big problem they are fixing it. Buy the ford be happy:D I nkow i couldnt be happier with my v-10 F-250 4x4.

Merriman
01-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by cletusEX
My brother has an 03 6.0 Powerstroke. It has around 35,000 miles, most of which are towing a 26 foot enclosed trailer. No problems yet but if you could let us know when we will start having problems with it that would be great, since you obviously know so much.:ermm: They only problems I've heard of where with the very first 6.0's and most of those problems where injectors, nothing to do with the trannys. Sorry I get a little tired of hearing all the 7.3 owners badmouthing the 6.0s.

I can say that I have actually only seen 1 early model 6.0 PSD truck that had a tranny problem. I saw the guy get his truck and trailer combo stuck in the desert, and when he put it into 4wd, the tranny just slipped and wouldn't pull the truck and trailer out. He unhooked and it pulled the truck out just fine. Another Diesel came over and hooked up and then pulled the trailer right out. But that was the only 6.0 I've seen with issues and that was when they were 1st introduced. Now I wish my 7.3 PSD had the power that the 6.0 produces stock. That would be nice!!!

440exnacsracer
01-15-2005, 10:02 PM
it was a shop truck, which means it had a record book. it still ran but wouldnt shift. we payed $600 for it, used it for 5 yrs and sold it for $1800. i think we did pretty good. :D

not bad for resale value, especially after that much more use

as for the newer 6.0's, a friend bought one the month they came out, before 2 months, it had spent 3 trips to the shop. yes, ford should have tested the motor more, but they have it right now. i still dont know why they would get rid of the 7.3 though, there was never any problems with it:(

EPDP99
01-16-2005, 03:24 PM
they had to get rid of it because of upcoming emmision changes. There might be a 6.3 twin turbo diesel for 07. news i heard on a ford forum. so maybe that will be cool

CHAR250R
01-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by cletusEX

The early 2003 6.0's had the injector problems. Ford fixed that quick. I have an 97 F350 powerstroke. I like the 6.0. It has 100 more HP, and 25 more foot pounds of torque. As soon as I find a nice low milage crew cab, I'll be selling the 350. The Chevrolet and the GMC are nice too. They just have that light duty front end. dodge? No comment.

Needa450
01-16-2005, 08:33 PM
Heres a pic of my dad's f-250, its pretty sweet

440exnacsracer
01-16-2005, 10:04 PM
^ nice truck, not a big fan of longbeds, but hey, its whatever suits you best

EPDP99
01-17-2005, 05:15 PM
took some new pics

EPDP99
01-17-2005, 05:17 PM
blurry lines on the grille came from resizing pic

EPDP99
01-17-2005, 05:18 PM
you get the idea even though its dirty.....

EPDP99
01-17-2005, 05:22 PM
last one