PDA

View Full Version : resistor kit installation

yfz450xc
01-12-2005, 04:44 AM
Just got the new resistor kit from the dealer and trying to figure out what goes where, ie.. the resistor and the wiring harness it came with. Any advise would be much appreciated.
#75 B class MHSC

creechfan
01-12-2005, 07:44 AM
go onto bluetraxx.com and talk to bansheebc.... he sells them and knows all about them

www.bluetraxx.com

were you having a battery problem? or did you just want to play it safe and install the res.kit b4 somthing happend?

jshtex
01-12-2005, 07:44 AM
Sorry I can't help ya but.... Once you get it figured out, let the rest of us know will ya. I am considering getting the kit as kind of a preventative maintenance type of thing.

yfz450xc
01-12-2005, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the info, never really had a big issue w/ it yet but when hot it's not to fast to start out in the woods again (GNCC)
plus I put my remote resivoirs in front and wanted more cooling area so I removed the headlights and just want to be safe.

yfz450xc
01-12-2005, 12:29 PM
This was found at a place called www.offroad.com Project wide open yfz 450, it also showed some pic's.

Project WideOpen YFZ
Resistor Kit
By Justin Waters

• November 2004 •

The YFZ is a great quad, but like every other quad, it has its problems. Luckily for us, Yamaha is good enough to admit them and create fixes for them. One of those problems on early-release models of the YFZ is a battery discharging problem.

The YFZ charging system is made to supply a maximum charging rate with the headlights switched to the ON position, at low to medium engine rpms. In some cases, including low speed with cooling fan running frequently, or continuous high RPM riding (like a race) you may need to have the headlights in the ON position to keep a fully charged battery. When racers remove the headlights to get rid of weight or for whatever reason, they might be causing the battery to discharge itself. (If your lights are still mounted, leave them on all the time.)

In order to fix this problem, Yamaha has created a Resistor Kit. The kit includes a higher temperature Thermo Fan Switch for the radiator to minimize current draw, and a ceramic resistor which takes the place of the headlights to maximize the charging rate. It is a very easy fix, for what might be a sucky end to your day if your battery discharges during a race.

The first step is to install the new thermoswitch. It is located on the right side of the radiator. Make sure to put a drip pan underneath to catch the small bit of radiator fluid that will come out.

The next thing you have to do is remove your regulator rectifier. That's the funny-shaped thing with ribs on it just under the front nose piece of the quad. The kit comes with two mounting brackets that the ceramic resistor has to be placed in.

It is a very tight fit, but it does fit. The mounting bracket lets it sit just below the regulator rectifier and is held on with the supplies bolts.

From there its just a few simple wires to plug into the main harness and sub harness.

Advertisement

This was a very easy install, that anybody could do. Not everyone will experience this battery discharging problem, but if you are a racer and don't have your lights installed there is a very good chance of it happening. So why take the chance when all you have to do is spend 15 minutes and install this?

Suggestions, comments, products you would like to see tested and installed on Project WideOpen YFZ? Please let us know via email.

Project Sponsors: Off-Road.com, Yamaha, Kenda Tires, Douglas Wheels, Rossier Engineering, Adapt Racing, GYT-R, Quadtech, UM Performance, Zip-Ty
Race Sponsors: Off-Road.com, CYCRA, Scott, Motorex, MXCulture

Send us Email about Project WideOpen YFZ

JOECASH
01-13-2005, 06:34 PM
who sales that resister kit

jshtex
01-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by JOECASH
who sales that resister kit

Yamaha so any dealer should be able to get one for you.

Part number 5TG-REGST-KT-00
$45 (I think)

yfz450xc
01-14-2005, 04:32 AM
Yes that is the right part # and I am sure the $ will vary from shop to shop mine was $56 tax and all, The only thing I have noticed so far on installation is to be careful w/ removing the sensor wire clip[ from the radiator it has a tricky clip on it. Not done yet though but all seems to be pretty easy thus far and the directions above are proving to be correct.

SRH
01-14-2005, 04:20 PM
mine was 51 bucks, thanks for the post ! very helpful i havent picked mine up yet it just came in those directions will help im sure

5valves
01-14-2005, 05:14 PM
The Kit is not hard to put on, and comes with detailed instructions.
You can also leave the resistor installed and just unplug it and plug the factory witing back in if you reinstall your lights.
I do this when I head to the dunes.
basicly its just wired in series, and they give you a mount to remount the rect, and the resistor.
just have to remove the hood.
then its a 5-10 min job.

Aussiequadrider
01-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by yfz450xc

The YFZ is a great quad, but like every other quad, it has its problems. Luckily for us, Yamaha is good enough to admit them and create fixes for them. One of those problems on early-release models of the YFZ is a battery discharging problem.

It sucks that Yamaha make us pay for their mistakes.

Geoff.

SRH
01-15-2005, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Aussiequadrider
It sucks that Yamaha make us pay for their mistakes.

Geoff.

yeah but nothing is wrong if u keep your lights on like your suppose to, they cant sell a quad without lights on it...in america anyway

creechfan
01-15-2005, 09:59 AM
yeah but nothing is wrong if u keep your lights on like your suppose to,

then why does yamaha give you an ON / OFF switch??

JOECASH
01-15-2005, 10:19 AM
im just glad theres a solution thanks for all the info.:p :p :p

SRH
01-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by creechfan
then why does yamaha give you an ON / OFF switch??

the lights on the quad...............................sheesh duuuuuuuuur then all u do is leave the switch on on

bolted on, mounted, attached etc,

creechfan
01-16-2005, 11:03 AM
If the electrical on the YFZ was designed to work at its best performance with the head lights always on, don’t you think YAMAHA would not give “us” the option of turning them off??

:devil: :devil:

SRH
01-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by creechfan
If the electrical on the YFZ was designed to work at its best performance with the head lights always on, don’t you think YAMAHA would not give “us” the option of turning them off??

:devil: :devil:
they didnt realize the problem until it was alreayd out

creechfan
01-16-2005, 08:15 PM
ok.

Did Yamaha fix this "problem" with the 05's? :ermm:

00Banshee
01-17-2005, 09:36 AM
Supposedly the 05s are fixed.

yfz450xc
01-18-2005, 04:35 AM
Every thing hooked real easy today and the instructions were pretty good just remember that the thermastat switch is the clutch side one and becarefuol when you unplug it, the rest just makes a loop from the rectifier plugs. Good luck all

atvrulz
06-28-2005, 03:31 PM
I thought the thermo switch should be installed on the right side of the radiator (next to cap) and not on the left side, which would be the clutch side.

daddio
06-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by atvrulz
I thought the thermo switch should be installed on the right side of the radiator (next to cap) and not on the left side, which would be the clutch side.

I think he means the side of your motor where your clutch is, not the clutch lever. :D