PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous Question

tdsongster
01-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Are nitrous systems mainly just for drag racing? Are there systems that are throttle controlled? In other words, the more throttle you give, the more nitrous is fed to the motor? I do most XC, trail riding, is that not a good fit for nitrous, should I look at bigger can, compression, etc instead?

Thanks

rider250ex
01-12-2005, 09:01 AM
i wouldnt use nitrous for woods. its mainly used in drag racing and in the dunes. its a waste of money for the woods. plus yes you would probably bake your stock piston pretty quick. i think most of the throttle control systems are at a certian point there is a switch so when you hit that point on the throttle the nitrous fully engages(most ppl use 3/4-wide open somewhere in there). there really arent any pressure sensative systems. its just what ever jet you use for the nitrous.

buddha440ex
01-12-2005, 10:20 AM
well..im tired of just hanging with yfz's on my 440 in the dunes..i want to kill em..i have a sparks 440 kit/hot cam stage 2 cam....i am wanting to put nitrous on it...i dont want boondockers they are way to expensive...im thinking about getting my buddies nitrous off of his ds650...i would probably have to switch out the carburetor and stuff..but i would like to know more about nitrous..can someone give me some info??

wilkin250r
01-12-2005, 10:28 AM
That's just silly. Why in the world would you need a throttle position controlled power boost? Your throttle IS your power control. If you find yourself needing more power at half throttle, you don't need nitrous, just give it more throttle!

Nitrous is a boost. Generally all or nothing. Now, you can add a controller to make it come on more smoothly so you don't break traction or anything, but that's the extent of your control.

What YOU are looking for is a nice, smooth increase in power that perfectly tracks throttle position. That is called motor mods, like a big-bore or stroker.

wilkin250r
01-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by buddha440ex
well..im tired of just hanging with yfz's on my 440 in the dunes..i want to kill em..i have a sparks 440 kit/hot cam stage 2 cam....i am wanting to put nitrous on it...i dont want boondockers they are way to expensive...im thinking about getting my buddies nitrous off of his ds650...i would probably have to switch out the carburetor and stuff..but i would like to know more about nitrous..can someone give me some info??

Why would you need to switch out the carburetor?

If you're thinking about nitrous, I highly reccomend spending alot of time on the web doing research. Learn how they work, the basic components, and what you can expect from your nitrous.

You'll also learn that most nitrous kits are basically the same. Mine, for example, used on a little 250x (single cylinder 4-stroke) originally came off a twin-cylinder 2-stroke watercraft. I just changed a few fittings and hoses, and I was good to go!.

ZQ8Dude
01-29-2005, 01:05 AM
not to bring up a dead thread, but i had to know a little exta on nitrous for quads.

are there any good read up articles for setting up a quad.

my plan right now is to go check out this ex with a blown tranny and see if the shop wants to part it out as is. after a rebuild i was looking to build it into a uhmm, i suppose you could call it a speed bogger, with like a 416 kit, retarded timing to safely use the nitrous. and some geared 22" rears and use the nitrous as an extra "kick" incase my momentum starts to slow down and stick me.

btw is it possible to use one of those small tubes of nitrous commonly used on sport bikes(save weight and not to tempt me to use it so much)

nakomis0
01-29-2005, 07:34 AM
My quad is setup for nitrous. I only used it one weekend last year. It was pretty easy to install.

As far as the 'small tubes' I'm assuming you just mean a smaller bottle?

I bought a 20oz? (I think it is) bottle from boondockers. It slid between my seat and frame, Super hard see, you had to be right up on it and trying to look for it.

It only gave me about 15 sec. of boost though..

As far as articles, you might need some info on the jet sizes to use. But other than that it should be pretty easy, just mount the stuff and plum the fogger into you carb boot.

wilkin250r
01-31-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by ZQ8Dude
are there any good read up articles for setting up a quad.

I have seen very few quad-specific nitrous articles or websites. What exactly are you looking for? If you're looking for tips and ideas for installation, that's fine. But if you're looking for a complete walk-through, then you have no business using nitrous. It's like an insurance against stupidity. If you know how nitrous works, and how all the components work together, and what to expect from nitrous, and proper set-up and things to look for, then installation is really easy.

But if you don't know all these things, then you haven't done your homework, and thus you shouldn't be using nitrous. Nitrous is NOT for beginners.

Originally posted by ZQ8Dude
btw is it possible to use one of those small tubes of nitrous commonly used on sport bikes(save weight and not to tempt me to use it so much)

Yes, in theory you can use ANY bottle size. The little 10oz and 12oz bottles are easy to conceal, but also give limited "on" time. It makes perfect sense that a bigger bottle will give you more "on" time than a smaller bottle. As nakomis0 says, his 20oz bottle only gave him a total of 15 seconds.

Now, the total time will also depend on the amount of boost you have. For any given bottle size, a 5hp boost will last much longer than a 15hp boost.

If you want to go with a smaller bottle, go ahead, just realize that it will give you less boost time. But the nice thing is that nitrous bottles all have about the same pressure, regardless of size. So if you every DO decide to go with a bigger bottle, you generally don't have to re-jet. You just replace your bottle, and possibly your bottle line if it's mounted in a different location. The rest of your system stays intact.

ZQ8Dude
01-31-2005, 10:07 PM
i know the theory of nirous and how it works, i just dont know much about the systems themselves. im not very fond of "fake" hp. though in this case it seems like it'd be fun for drag racing. and for how simple these ex motors seem to be.

anyways in ral cars iv heard of retarding the timing along with other things to make the car run safer.

i was mainly after things like that, as to how people prepared the bike to run with the nitrous. so atleast dont feel like the idiot in a civic with a bolt on nitrous kit sending his wannabe sports car down the drain by blowing the motor.

wilkin250r
02-01-2005, 11:09 AM
So you're looking for specifics on how they pertain to your particular motor, and any issues that may arise.

I can't really help you, I'd suggest you talk with a manufacturer, Like Boondockers, Nitrous Express, or NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems).

Me personally, I've done lots of research on nitrous, but only have only personally installed one system, and I took it all the way to failure.

What questions do you have? I can probably answer them. Are you still running the stock compression? Your compression and your octane are obviously going to be big factors. I would say you are probably safe with the stock compression, race gas, and no timing changes up to 20hp boost, as long as you activate in the upper RPM, at least above 4000rpm.

raptor65
02-07-2005, 08:36 PM
nitrous can be used safely if you know what your doing you always need to test your fuel delivery system before you hit the nos or you melt your motor that is the imporant thing when useing nos i did 2mo of research before i bought and installed the nitrous and i think it is good for raceing dune riding only because when you hit it you got it till it burns out there is no stoping it till its done if you hit it the woods or trail riding your a dead man