PDA

View Full Version : Interested in your opinions!

drober30
01-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Well I'm looking for some summer fun and am thinking about picking up an ATV. I have narrowed my search down to the 450R or the 400ex.

I ride a skidoo Rev 800 and ride hard. I have never ridden an ATV. My thoughts are the 450R but in my older age (36) I have come to love the electric start and reverse that is on my sled. Reverse on a snowmobile use to be reserved for the touring models but nowadays its coming on all models.

I like the fact the 450r is liquid cooled and will probably have the horsepower/adrenaline that I get from snowmobiling.

I guess my question is I don’t know if I would be happier with the electric start/reverse or the top dog/extra horsepower?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Punk'd
01-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Well first off. Welcome to the site!:D
And to me if you want a similar feel as a snow mobile you should go with a 450r it is fast and has awesome acceleration. The 450r has no reverse or electric start but I own one and I love my kickstart. As for the 400ex its a little outdated but is still a great machine and now they even have reverse. Gookluck man if you need any other info we will be glad to help;)

dirtriderex
01-11-2005, 08:39 PM
I know what you are saying, BUT you sound like you are experienced with motorsports so I would say the 450r. Kicking it is not that tough at all and if you know how to ride a reverse is pointless. The 400ex is a great quad but the power difference is totally worth the 450r. Heck if anything kicking it over and pulling it will keep you in better shape.

EXBANSHEE
01-11-2005, 11:48 PM
450r all the way. As soon as you start riding with friends you'll want it then. Especially when you spank those yamas.

drober30
01-12-2005, 05:54 AM
You know me well already and gave me the answers I was hoping for!

You know... sometimes you just want to hear it.... That's why I posted in the 450R forum and not the 400ex...

When is Honda to release the next model line "06"?

Do they release a new model year at a specific time like the snowmobile manufactures do?

sulnz450r
01-12-2005, 07:46 AM
I am 36 as well and I have a blast on the 450 R ! Have had it since feb. of 04 and have nothing but good things to say about it. No troubles!! As for the 400 ex they are great quads my cousin has one but if you want a ripper well .... there's no substitute:eek2:

beak7707
01-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I would go with the 450r, I love mine!! THe 06's will be out in late summer, you might want to wait some people say they will have changes. As for me I dont think they will change anything but you never know.

drober30
01-12-2005, 10:01 AM
I now know I want the 450R .....but I started looking into this as something my wife and I could do and we just found out that she is pregnet with our second child!

I could buy the 400ex for now with electric start /reverse and ride it ( I understand this to be a great machine just not the 450R) and then keep my eye on the 06 models when they come out.

Buy a 06 next summer when she could ride again and the EX could be my wifes.

Its one of those things that makes one think?

you guys have been great with the feedback and I look forward to my new hobby and posting in the forums!

Thump_It
01-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by drober30
I now know I want the 450R .....but I started looking into this as something my wife and I could do and we just found out that she is pregnet with our second child!

I could buy the 400ex for now with electric start /reverse and ride it ( I understand this to be a great machine just not the 450R) and then keep my eye on the 06 models when they come out.

Buy a 06 next summer when she could ride again and the EX could be my wifes.

Its one of those things that makes one think?

you guys have been great with the feedback and I look forward to my new hobby and posting in the forums!

Sounds like a hell of a plan. The 400ex will be a good bike for you to get comfortable on quads with. Your wife will like it as well I'm sure. It doesn't have gut wrenching power but is very reliable. Good luck with the pregnancy and quad choice. Take care.

Syrus
01-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Id sugest you go out and ride them both if u can, instead of wasting ur money on something u dont enjoy. Coming from a sled to a 4 stroke quad is very different, remember u got 5 gears to play with.

Go out and testthem both and see how u like/feel them.

kgbg
01-12-2005, 10:39 AM
If your the type of guy that rides REV800 and rides it hard, you will be upgrading from a 400ex to a 450R soon. The kicker is super easy, and any quad with the power you are going to want has no reverse (save a Raptor , don't go there, and Pred, you would not buy a Polaris, would you? No good Ski Doo man would ride a Poolaris, right?);)
There is no battery to die with the 450R. Its super light, there is no snow to pack down, or get stuck in. You learn pretty quick to pick your spots, and you will realize reverse is not necessary.

drober30
01-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Thump_It
Good luck with the pregnancy and quad choice. Take care.

Thanks!

drober30
01-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by kgbg
If your the type of guy that rides REV800 and rides it hard, you will be upgrading from a 400ex to a 450R soon. you would not buy a Polaris, would you? No good Ski Doo man would ride a Poolaris, right?);)

SO TRUE!!!! Funny Too!

What’s strange is I have strong brand loyalty to Skidoo and believe they have the superior snowmobile out of the other manufactures (IMHO) However; I am not considering buying one of their ATV's. I owned several Seadoo watercrafts too that I was extremely happy with.

Something was just telling me to go Honda from the beginning on the ATV venture.... I know Honda products are great and I love the looks and feel of the 400/450(when I sat on one and I sat on them all at the dealer).

I also was wondering the need for reverse as compared to a sled.

I'll tell ya, humping the back end of your sled around after you realized you went down the wrong tight trail is something I never want to do again (I paid my dues)!

A couple of people mentioned that the forward kick was easy. Again, I'm comparing this to pulling on the recoil of a two stroke 800cc sled with the motor temp at 5 degrees. Again, I would never own a sled without electric start (oh yea.... I'm sounding/feeling old)! LOL