PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper alternative to 400ex parts

awsomeaussies
01-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Anyone that knows of any parts that would work on a 400ex that you could get at Napa, Autozone, Schucks, etc. POST THEM!

I for instance have heard that VW Bug outer tie rod ends will work on aftermarket a-arms. And they only cost $13.99 each.

the Z Man
01-11-2005, 03:27 PM
The dual row carrier bearings are the same as a 1970 chevy truck air conditioning bearing. Z.
plus they have a life time warranty.......

ZSK
01-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Oil filters from Car Quest are $6.95 compared to $7.95 at the dealership.

400exrider707
01-11-2005, 07:33 PM
oil filters are $2.35 from rocky mountain and my dealer they're only like $5

awsomeaussies
01-11-2005, 07:42 PM
If any of you have used the Honda Grip Glue, you know how good it works. NAPA has the exact same glue, except it's called 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive in a bigger tub for less cash. Your grips will never slip again.

awsomeaussies
01-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by the Z Man
The dual row carrier bearings are the same as a 1970 chevy truck air conditioning bearing. Z.
plus they have a life time warranty.......

SWEET!!! what kind of chevy truck?

the Z Man
01-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by awsomeaussies
SWEET!!! what kind of chevy truck?
I tell them like a 1500 or 2500 series, they are all pretty much the same.
Z.

Jonas
01-11-2005, 10:56 PM
any way you can not spend money at your local dealer and put them out of business the better right? Even if it costs you more money. Rocky mountain atv does not sell the Honda brand oil filters for $2.35.

stjoetalon
01-31-2005, 03:25 AM
If dealerships didnt gouge the prices so much, we would look for alternatives.:rolleyes:

400exrider707
01-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Jonas
any way you can not spend money at your local dealer and put them out of business the better right? Even if it costs you more money. Rocky mountain atv does not sell the Honda brand oil filters for $2.35.
Yeah its the EMGO, its the same filter.

hbomb4life
02-01-2005, 06:21 PM
If any of you have used the Honda Grip Glue, you know how good it works. NAPA has the exact same glue, except it's called 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive in a bigger tub for less cash. Your grips will never slip again.

i have a cheaper way and thats to use hairspray

Pappy
02-01-2005, 06:30 PM
becareful when using certain glues on your grips, sometimes they have a chemical reaction with the grip and it will literally melt the grip :eek: yep, learned that one the hard way:p

bearings? sure you can find cheaper bearings...usually manufactured by the lowest bidder. buy the best part for the money. replacing bearings twice because some slave assembled it in china will not save you money when it comes apart and destroys a much more expensive part.

buy from rocky mountain all you want, but i prefer to stay local or thru a smaller outfit that gives me personal service. the larger companies may seem like the way to go but compare apples to apples on certain items.

yes some dealerships will bone you solid. ever try talking with the parts manager and explain that you would like to buy from him but his prices are out of line? alot of times after a decent conversation you can get some damn fine deals if you show you will be a repeat and loyal customer. im sure you will still meet a real bonehead but atleast give them a chance. i walk into my local dealership and i feel like norm from cheers. if the counter guy qoutes me a price thats high i tell him. if they cant do better i walk out, no hard feelings but i do offer them my business:p

Metzroth
02-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Just because the bearings dont say Carrier bearing on them doesn't mean they arent just as good as if you bought the one that did say carrier bearing. I mean yeah they can be of less quality but just buy a brand name AC bearing and not the cheaper one. I think prices on ATV parts are way out of line. I love riding enough I'm willing to pay for it but it would be nice if the prices were more reasonable.
I never really tried talking to a parts manage but I think thats a good idea. If your willing to come back then they will prolly cut you some deals, and besides they will save u money on shipping.

sportraxkid
02-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Rocky Mountain atv is my local dealer lol, And they're good people!

400exrider707
02-01-2005, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
becareful when using certain glues on your grips, sometimes they have a chemical reaction with the grip and it will literally melt the grip :eek: yep, learned that one the hard way:p

bearings? sure you can find cheaper bearings...usually manufactured by the lowest bidder. buy the best part for the money. replacing bearings twice because some slave assembled it in china will not save you money when it comes apart and destroys a much more expensive part.

buy from rocky mountain all you want, but i prefer to stay local or thru a smaller outfit that gives me personal service. the larger companies may seem like the way to go but compare apples to apples on certain items.

yes some dealerships will bone you solid. ever try talking with the parts manager and explain that you would like to buy from him but his prices are out of line? alot of times after a decent conversation you can get some damn fine deals if you show you will be a repeat and loyal customer. im sure you will still meet a real bonehead but atleast give them a chance. i walk into my local dealership and i feel like norm from cheers. if the counter guy qoutes me a price thats high i tell him. if they cant do better i walk out, no hard feelings but i do offer them my business:p

Yeah I totally agree, I was just giving some ideas. I usually buy the honda filters, unless I've got an order already going into rocky mountain then i get a couple filters, otherwise its not worth it because of shipping.

400exdad
02-04-2005, 11:01 AM

Thats what I use... we started calling it Gorilla Snot..... waaayyyyyy back in high school. :D