PDA

View Full Version : Getting bone stock '88 R, need suggestions on upgrades.

YFZRob
01-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Sorry for the noobie question, but I want as many suggestions as possible for the basics. I am purchasing a bone stock, all original (except for tires) '88 250R. I would like to preserve it that way as much as possible, but I also want similar performance to my YFZ. I don't mind doing a pipe/silencer, reed cage, carb, air filter, ect.....I just have no idea which of those (other than the pipe) are worth doing, and what brands to look into, ect. ect. Also, what else do I need to address for normal maintenance and wear/tear items? I am going to compression test the motor when I get it to be sure she won't need a rebuild right away. I don't want to go into the motor until it needs a rebuild, and when I do, I'm not sure how much I want to do other than a new slug. My main objective is to keep it mostly stock except for mods I will need to do to get YFZ power/performance. Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

zedicus00
01-11-2005, 03:29 PM
actually if its mint u should not do a thing to it. u will regret it in a couple yrs. to get sum more power out of it. get a cr250 head gasket from like an 89. get a low end - mid range pipe. boysen reeds and or new cage, 35mm A/s carb. suspension i would go with aftermarket shocks all around and an aftermarket +4 axle.

deathman53
01-11-2005, 03:38 PM
its gonna take a good bit to keep up with a yfz450 on a mx track. If you are gonna keep it as origonal as possible, you aren't gonna be near a yfz450. you will need a pipe, carb, reeds, a-arms, axle, shocks, the bike won't be anywhere near original. I'd buy a stock 88r for collector use only, if you want a racer, buy one alreday modded. thats my .02. I myself couldn't buy a 100% stock 250r, I have a atc250r, but I bought it as a heap and now its modded to the hilt. next its getting a lrd 310 pv cylinder. in the pic of it in the truck it has a esr 330, the other pics are with a stock ported cylinder. I have the 330 for sale if interested.

http://www.pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/250r+12-01.JPG.html
http://www.pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/250r+12-012.JPG.html
http://www.pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/250r+12-11.JPG.html
http://www.pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/330r+8-15.JPG.html

YFZRob
01-11-2005, 03:57 PM
Well, I don't necessary need it to outperform the YFZ in all aspects, especially motox, just have enough power to be fun on trails, and when swapping from the YFZ onto the R. Or in other words, similar in drag race performance. So, with that being said, maybe a torquey pipe (which one?), reed cage, and carb? As long as the mods that I do are reversable, like these mentioned, I can swap it back to stock in a couple of hours. I only expect to use it as a trail bike, but a stock 2 stroke is never enough even for that. :devil: I am selling my KFX-400 to have the 250R replace it. Will it at least have the power potential of that in stock form?

deathman53
01-11-2005, 06:10 PM
if you want low end power to mid get a pual turner type 6, I had that on my trx250r, all low to mid, it was great in the woods.

CHAR250R
01-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Get a hold of Lenny at Duncan Racing. He'll set you straight in the motor department. Suspension is an area you will need to address also. The 88 and 89 250R is the best 2 stroke ATV ever made. Take car of her.

bighaas12
04-18-2005, 08:15 PM
Getting a bone stock 250r to hang with a yfz is going to take some work. As stated above it is a rare find to get a "stock" r these days. You are better off getting a bike already modded to suit your needs. However, there is no replacement for displacement. The best mod I have ever purchased was a 265 powervalve from LRD. Matched with the adjustable pipe it hauls! This is pretty expensive though. I have 2 R's (the other stock bore) and there is no comparison. I have a local track and running with yfz's and dvx 400's is no problem with the 265. the stock bike is always dragging out of corners and just doesnt have the balls the get it done. The powervalve pulls like a four stroke out of corners, you can lug it alot more and it just pulls like a son of a gun. Again, until you ride one it is hard to believe. I have one stock bike with lights and bigger tires for the woods, and the 265 for the track. The decision is up to you and unless you are going to have two bikes (and two jobs to afford them.....) then there has to be a compromise somewhere. Personally, a stock 88 R is something to be proud of. They are getting 10 and 12K for them on ebay. Obviously there are still people out there that can appreciate beauty in any form. As far a a few mods to get to yfz performance...not going to happen. Pipes and carbs show minimal gains in my opinion, the big HP is always with the cylinder kits. they aint cheap and most have to run race gas $7 a gallon. So think it over if you want yfz speed, unless you are racing the stock r will still get you around in a hurry. Decisions Decisions...........

TheFontMaster
04-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Well I gues I'll be the first to ask for pics of this quad. I would say get a pipe, rejet, and get some aftermarket shocks. If it is all original stay away from any motor work. A couple people have said it, you have a stock 88 trx250r. You must not know how rare they are. If you're not gonna have it and keep it stock, I say sell or trade it for one that will suit your needs.

Vtr_Racing
04-19-2005, 07:20 AM
The suggestion to check with Lenny at Duncan is a good one. Also ESR is a good company as well for motor mods. Sounds like you want a fun trail bike. Mid range pipe from either one of those companies above would work great. CR250 head gasket. Carb and a good intake. K and N or similar air filter. Suspension mods will give you the best improvements. Doesnt take much to make the R into a performer.

kwatts400
04-19-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
Well I gues I'll be the first to ask for pics of this quad. I would say get a pipe, rejet, and get some aftermarket shocks. If it is all original stay away from any motor work. A couple people have said it, you have a stock 88 trx250r. You must not know how rare they are. If you're not gonna have it and keep it stock, I say sell or trade it for one that will suit your needs.

There is a link to a pic of it in his sig.

YFZRob
04-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, but it's a tad late. :D Check the date of my original post.....1/11/05. I've now got an ESR 310 kit, ESR clutch kit, Hinson Basket, PWK 38 A/S Keihin carb, TRX-5 ESR pipe w/ silencer, Herrmann Racing +2/+1 a-arms w/ Elka's, and fresh renthal sprokets/DID chain. It looks identical to the photo in my signature, just wider up front and with a new top end and pipe.

wilkin250r
04-19-2005, 03:32 PM
That's a terrible shame.

TheFontMaster
04-19-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm willing to bet that your 250r was worth more when it was stock. Like wilkin said a terrible shame.

YFZRob
04-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Who cares??? :rolleyes: I didn't buy this for an investment, I bought it to enjoy it. I enjoy the look of a bone stock R, and I didn't want something that was trashed and molested by a dozen people already, which is why I bought it!! Not to mention, I have kept everything stock part that has been removed set aside to be able to reinstall in an afternoon if I urgently needed to sell it anytime soon. I don't plan on selling it for a good 5-10+ years anyway, so the stock parts will just collect dust, wasting space.

Also, WHO THE FK thinks a stock R is fun???? I could have bought a POS 400EX and had just as much fun if I wanted a bone stock R. I race a YFZ in hare scrambles all year long, and just wanted an R to round out a nice stable, and have for some fun trail rides. I've always wanted an R, ever since I started my dirt wheels subscription in 1988, so you have no place to trash talk what I do to my R :mad:

kwatts400
04-19-2005, 11:37 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by YFZRob
. I enjoy the look of a bone stock R, and I didn't want something that was trashed and molested by a dozen people already, which is why I bought it!!

I love it too. I wish more people thought this way.

Also, WHO THE FK thinks a stock R is fun????

I still remember my first ride on a stock 88r, back in 89, it was probably the most fun I've ever had on a quad. I still vividly remember the thoughts that were running through my head as I was pinning it across the pit that I was riding it in. Thats probably why I still ride today! Here is my 89r "before" pic.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid148/p874b28f0a527a1fd6c35bee1dbdd877c/f61bcce8.jpg

kwatts400
04-19-2005, 11:54 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid151/p48bc727ed0fab6ca9a251140d14e22ac/f5c6f60a.jpg

This is what I did with it, and I still have a stock seat cover to go on the bike.

YFZRob
04-20-2005, 06:22 AM
That's nice! And that's my intention, to preserve the look of a stock R, since I personally feel they look the best. I too would have done what you did with your R to make it look original. You have to admit though, a stock R now isn't fun. Back in 89, it'd be amazing, and would stay amazing until these new thumpers started coming out. The bike as a whole is still amazing, it just needs more power.

wilkin250r
04-20-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm not calling you names, or insulting your intelligence at all. You're free to do whatever the #$*& you want with you're quad.

However, I still personally feel it's a terrible shame. Tricked-out, fast R's are a dime-a-dozen, nothing special. But a pristine, stock 250R is a rarity indeed. If you're not interested in owning a rarity, that's your prerogative, but it doesn't diminish the twinge of pain we all feel when we hear about it.

2StrokeFreak
04-21-2005, 01:19 PM
Hello all, firts post here.

Rob, nice 88! Looks like a 04 Michigan ORV sticker on the rear fender. It may be my 88's twin sister. Did it come from Lapeer,
Mi. ??

YFZRob
04-25-2005, 07:24 AM
YES it did!!! And yes, it's your new R's twin sister!!!!

WOW! That's very cool. I've been very happy with my R's condition. It was well maintained and had some minor tweaks that were needed. The piston wasn't original when I was told it was, the rear suspension linkage needed some help, it needed new handlebars and grips, and some minor cleaning up.

And as for the others, my quad is going to stay completely original except for a few suspension mods, motor mods, and tires. Otherwise, this will be all '88 stock look. I consider a "tricked out" 250R one that has new plastics, new decals, new frame or modded stock frame, new seat cover, new bars, nerfs, swing arm, ect. ect.....all of which won't be touched on my quad.

2StrokeFreak
04-25-2005, 08:02 AM
Wow, cool! That must be the one he "claimed" sat in storage for years. Mine was from him a few years ago. I bought it from somone who bought it from him and never used it. I was told that mine also has the original piston, at 175 psi I'm not going to tear it down to find out. I'd really like to do a PV motor too,just to put the stock jug on the shelf. Like you said it can be all original in a few hrs. Nothing like those 88'.

Freak

YFZRob
04-25-2005, 08:40 AM
WOW, what a small world! Yeah, this was the one that was in storage for 6 years or something. He guessed it only had about 60 hours on it, but that's BS. It has a good 100+ hours on it, but it was taken care of. It still had the original chain on it, although it was in POOR shape. And seeing how the "all original" one that I bought didn't even have the stock piston, I doubt yours does. Not that it's bad, I'm sure your jug isn't ported or anything. Mine had 165 psi with the .5mm over aftermarket piston.

Where are you located by the way???

2StrokeFreak
04-25-2005, 09:26 AM
I guess time will tell if the piston is orig. or not. None of the nuts or bolts on the engine look like they have ever had a wrench put to them yet. I dont even think the clutch cover has been off yet. Its nice to start out with a machine thats un-molested for a change. I rode a 450R before getting my 88 , could have had one for what I paid for my 88, but I just cant get into the thumper thing.

I live in Mi. north of Detroit.

Ever heard of a town called Howie in the Hills?

I'm looking for a stock 88 seat, if you see a good one let me know.

Freak

coryatver
04-25-2005, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I'm not calling you names, or insulting your intelligence at all. You're free to do whatever the #$*& you want with you're quad.

However, I still personally feel it's a terrible shame. Tricked-out, fast R's are a dime-a-dozen, nothing special. But a pristine, stock 250R is a rarity indeed. If you're not interested in owning a rarity, that's your prerogative, but it doesn't diminish the twinge of pain we all feel when we hear about it.

Very well put

YFZRob
04-25-2005, 10:23 AM
I live in Mi. north of Detroit.

Ever heard of a town called Howie in the Hills?

I'm looking for a stock 88 seat, if you see a good one let me know.

Yes, I have heard of Howie in the Hills. I've had some customers who live there from my mail order car parts business.

I don't know of a stock seat other than going to www.servicehonda.com and ordering a complete 88 seat assembly. I THINK it's around $290. BUT, there's a good chance it's been discontinued by now. I was looking into the idea of buying all new OE plastics and seat assembly just to freshen up the look a tad. My plastics are all in good shape with no cracks, just that I'm a tad of a perfectionist when it comes to cleanliness and detail.

2StrokeFreak
04-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Been there done that, Srevice Honda cant get a red one with the fourtrax logo. They can get one with a black seat cover though.
Thanks for the clicky link.

I'm thinking of getting another set of plastic to put away also. But I diddnt buy mine for an investment, its a toy.

YFZRob
04-25-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm thinking of getting another set of plastic to put away also. But I diddnt buy mine for an investment, its a toy.

AMEN!!!! I didn't either....I'm just like drooling over the look of the 88 R, which is that much better with brand new plastics. The seat cover and plastics are the only thing that doesn't look basically brand new now on the R.

Thanks for the info about service honda, although that sucks! Going to have to be very anal with protecting my OE seat cover.

kwatts400
04-25-2005, 11:52 AM
You can't even get a "ceet" seat cover that says 250r or fourtrax on it anymore. When I bought my 89r a few years ago, I tried to get a ceet cover because I knew the stock were all black now from Honda. What I got was the all red cover. I finally found a stock 89r seat cover on ebay (I paid $100 for it in ok condition), and I'm pretty sure the thing won't fit on my bike. Nice bikes guys.

2StrokeFreak
04-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks Kwatts, thats a sharp 89!

I was watching a complete 88 seat on flea-bay a few months ago that was near perfect, by his pics. It got crazy$$. I stopped looking at it when it got over $325.00. Someone probably has a warehouse full of stuff we want, and wont let go of it.