PDA

View Full Version : R vs YFZ

Jake250ex
01-11-2005, 10:53 AM
about how close are they stock for stock? What mods would one make to make the R spank the Yami? I have never ridden and R, but I have a tiny bit of seat time on a yfz. IMO, yfz's are WAY overrated, (Im going to get my head *****ed off for this) no where near as much torque as a raptor and no where near the top end of a Shee, but thats just my opinion. At the time I rode one, I had a LT250R and my Lt with a few mods felt WAYYY faster. But maybe its the hard hitting out of no-where power of a 2 stroke.

Also, I was looking at the YFZ ad on the back ow dirtwheels, and it says - "highest power to weight ratio of any FOUR STROKE atv" - is there a 2 stroke beating it or something?

THANKS!!

beerock
01-11-2005, 11:10 AM
the yfz's are pretty fast and ive seen some worked yfz's spank on banshees with mild work.

yamaha says any fourstrokebecause all you need is a sick port job on a 2 stroke and its twice to three times as fast, heck even 4 times as fast as stock. thing is it doesnt cost as much to work a 2 stroke as a four stroke, and most people dont feel like dumping 5-8000 into a motor to make it a 2 stroke killer. but then again, if you put that amount of money into a 2 stroke no four stroke will touch it. Problem is 2 strokes require a fair amount of maintence while four strokes, worked or not dont require much maintence.

so its a trade off.

but stock for stock the yfz is faster but there is ALOT more power hidden in a stock R then a stock yfz and your wallet wont hurt nearly as much;)

slick250
01-11-2005, 11:04 PM
I agree, the YFZ will kill a stock 250R. I do have a 330R with the ESR TRX11 porting that will kill a piped YFZ 450 though.
A 250 will require very expensive porting to beat a modded YFZ, along with all the GOOD bolt ons.

wilkin250r
01-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Two strokes are much lighter. The pistons are smaller, no cam, cam chain, valves, ALL that stuff adds lots of weight. The 250r motor is probably 30lbs lighter than the YFZ.

Not only that, two strokes generally have higher peak horsepower than a comparable 4-stroke. All this together generally means that 2-strokes have much higher HP:Weight ratios.

pismoracer
01-12-2005, 11:16 AM
GO with a 250r! that is the bike to go with!

they are the bike everything is built around!

well i guess i am prejudice to the 250r though!

beerock
01-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by slick250
I agree, the YFZ will kill a stock 250R. I do have a 330R with the ESR TRX11 porting that will kill a piped YFZ 450 though.
A 250 will require very expensive porting to beat a modded YFZ, along with all the GOOD bolt ons.

not that expensive ! 250-300 is regular for a good port job. a good pipe and carb will help a bunch. a port job with machining would be aroudn 300-400 not that expensive compared to a port cam and valve job on a yfz;)

slick250
01-12-2005, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by beerock
not that expensive ! 250-300 is regular for a good port job. a good pipe and carb will help a bunch. a port job with machining would be aroudn 300-400 not that expensive compared to a port cam and valve job on a yfz;)
When I say expensive, I am more referring to quality. Not a do-it-yourself or a cheap port job from a buddy who thinks he can. You usually get what you pay for!! I agree, $300 is cheap for a quality port job on a 2 stroke if you look at it from a bang for the buck perspective.

rider250ex
01-12-2005, 08:25 PM
hey. i havent really ridden my R that much. but i was wondering if you guys thought it would beat a yfz. i remember drag racing one with my bros banshee with pipes and i was only like 2 bikes lenghts behind through the whoops, and when i raced my bros shee with my R i was like 10 bike lengths ahead but there are alot of factors that could take part in that. anyways the mods are in my sig. what do you think.

jcas
01-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Biggest problem with the R is traction. Same thing with the Shee. Things change with a set of haulers at pismo!

87 310R
83 R
81 200

beerock
01-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by rider250ex
hey. i havent really ridden my R that much. but i was wondering if you guys thought it would beat a yfz. i remember drag racing one with my bros banshee with pipes and i was only like 2 bikes lenghts behind through the whoops, and when i raced my bros shee with my R i was like 10 bike lengths ahead but there are alot of factors that could take part in that. anyways the mods are in my sig. what do you think.

i think if the port job is really good you might be even with one maybe a little ahead depensing on the work on the yfz

pismoracer
01-13-2005, 07:54 AM
Ill put my banshee up against any one of your yzfs wtih eveyr bolt on you can imagine, and im pretty sure ill give a run for your money,

while the YZF is a great bike, its also an expensive bike,

at around 7200 bucks for bike alone, it gets spendy out here, (price includes tax,license )

plus to make a yfz fast your looking at atleast a grand for all the performance parts, then paddle tires and stuch your in it around what? 9k?

for 9k out here i can build one heck of a nice 250r. (please dont take these figures literal as im speaking figuretivly)

If money is no object though i would prob get a yzf, but since i work for a living, and havent gotten my money tree out back to produce ill be sticking with the 350r.

I guess if your going to race in any kind of circuit, the yfz is prob a no brainer over an R, but if your just riding for fun. the R is sure alot cheaper and you get the same performance out of an R as you will a YFZ. either way you look at it if you buy a 4k quad and dump 5k in it or buy a 7k quad and dump 2k in it.

bansheerider29x
01-13-2005, 06:28 PM
All i know is my banshee would smoke a yfz450(even though i want one). I know cuz i lefted worked z400's and worked yz125's in the dust! plus more

LT250Racer609
01-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by bansheerider29x
All i know is my banshee would smoke a yfz450(even though i want one). I know cuz i lefted worked z400's and worked yz125's in the dust! plus more

theres a BIG difference from a worked 125 dirtbike to a worked YFZ....same goes with a z400...try racing a worked YFZ u will understand

honda racer 211
01-18-2005, 11:03 AM
I have raced several yfz's on mx, flat track and tt. several were built some were stock ,i beat them with a nearly stock 400ex ( stage 2 cam, ct pipe,k&n, lsr axle) Only raced mx with the r (no competition:)

wilkin250r
01-18-2005, 11:54 AM
They really are different worlds.

Me personally, I love my R, but I'd rather have a YFZ on the track. With my brakes, other riders, body position, traction, and lines through the turns, I have enough to focus on, I'd rather not throw my powerband and clutch into the mix. The 4-strokes powerband is so much easier to race, but the suspension and weight have traditionally been a problem with 4-stroke quads. Now those issues have been addressed with the YFZ, why wouldn't you go with it?

But when riding for fun, whether the trails or the dunes, I'd much rather have my 250r. I love the thrill of the 2-stroke acceleration, and the clutch and powerband actually add to my enjoyment.

The 250r is terrific, it's a thrill to ride, and still competative on the track. But I would have to doubt the sanity of anybody that says they would actually prefer a 250r over a similarly modified YFZ on the track.

honda racer 211
01-18-2005, 06:42 PM
I have had the chance to yfz's on track and trail , I liked the right now power of it but i did not like the handling at all, I tired way faster on it then I did on my R or 400ex Imight buy one if i could get a built R for but until then no way but thats just me:ermm:

beerock
01-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
They really are different worlds.

The 250r is terrific, it's a thrill to ride, and still competative on the track. But I would have to doubt the sanity of anybody that says they would actually prefer a 250r over a similarly modified YFZ on the track.

call me crazy:devil:

wilkin250r
01-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by beerock
call me crazy:devil:

Its like the Pope suddenly declaring that he's Catholic, or Bill Gated declaring that he's wealthy. We already know, it goes without saying.

ridinredodb
01-22-2005, 07:11 PM
id take a 250R over a yfz anyday anywhere, so i guess im crazy too. the yfz's geometry is horrible, its frame is flat as a pancake. the A-arms are flat and move straight up and down giving it a harsh ride. on the 250R/450R, the frame is sloped up slightly letting the A-arms move slightly back when going up and down which is one reason the R rides and handles so great. honda just knows how to build a frame.
also, i dont like how the yfz feels like your sitting even with the handle bars and you feel crowded on it. the foot pegs on the yfz are just not in the right spot either. i could go on forever. ill take an R