PDA

View Full Version : sparks ignition key - any other adjustments?

04-25-2002, 09:35 PM
I just 400EX adjusted my valves for the first time today, (way overdue!!)
I installed the Sparks ignition timing key, and since I've got it all back together I've been thinking...
Is there anything else I need to do (re-check the valves, or anything)?? Also the actual ignition key seemed to slightly move when it was in place. All directions were followed when installing and my mechanic friend assisted...but is this normal? I have no other mods, and am wondering if I need to do anything else before I take this thing back out to trail? Do not want to cause any unwanted problems.
Thanks for any help.

04-25-2002, 11:56 PM
If your key moves with the flywheel on and bolted down then you need to do it over again. Turn the flywheel clockwise when you put it on so that it rests against the key solidly before you tighten the nut or take a chance on shearing the key if the flywheel moves. Otherwise your ready to go!

oynot400
04-26-2002, 06:05 AM
Remember when you go to adjust your vavles the next time, the tdc mark on the flywheel will not be true. It will be 6 degrees off. ;)

PsychoDave
04-26-2002, 06:30 AM
DO YOU GUYS REALLY THINK THAT THE ADVANCE KEY REALLY DOES SOMETHING.....I HAVE A 416 KIT NOW AND I COULD ALWAYS USE A LITTLE EXTRA.

oynot400
04-26-2002, 08:13 AM
I installed one on the neighbor's 400ex. His is all stock except for a UNI filter and T-4 pipe. He claims that it starts easier and has more bottom-mid pep. It is not a huge difference like adding a pipe or puching out the motor, but is enough to notice. I would say it was worth $20 :cool: