PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my hybrid

tholt
01-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Hey guys,
I didn't know if i should put this in this section or not. I just built a drz400/250r and am stil in the progress of finishing. I still lack oil lines, Chain, Air filter, and voltage regulator. I just wanted ot post some pics of what i had and see what you guys think.
http://www.jmrpowersports.com/pics/Quad1.jpg
http://www.jmrpowersports.com/pics/Quad2.jpg
http://www.jmrpowersports.com/pics/Quad3.jpg

Tim
JMRPowersports

racerx573
01-11-2005, 10:47 AM
That's awesome. Who did the conversion for you? What kinda rear end is that?

400exdad
01-11-2005, 10:54 AM
I think its great! By the looks of the backgrounds, you have no problem with extra parts and stuff, but, what did you have to give for the motor. I've been shopping DRZ's and they are reasonable. Are the motors reasonable and plentiful?

tholt
01-11-2005, 11:44 AM
i own a small motorcycle shop so i come by parts alright. I got the motor off of ebay. ended up giving 750 for it. Wasn't to bad of a deal. I ended up selling my 265 powervalve cylinder and my complete 250R motor and swapped to this.

I did the convert myself. I built the rear swingarm. Its a stock 87 frame i converted and gussetted. I also changed to a no-link setup. Made dealing with the height of the motor easier b/c of raising the shock mount.

Thanks guys. i'm glad ya'll like it.

Tim
JMRPowersports.com

wilkin250r
01-11-2005, 12:05 PM
I bet that thing is slow as hell. That thing couldn't win a race against my grandmother riding a LT80.

However, if you put a chain on it, THEN you'll have a fast machine... :blah:

tholt
01-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Yeah i know it would pretty slow right now, thats why i mentioned i still had to put a chain on it before i was ready to go along with my oil lines. lol.

Ever since i posted these pics iknew iw as asking for it since i left the chain off of it. Ya got me guys.

Tim
JMRPowersports.com

wilkin250r
01-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Oh, well then, my apologies. I didn't read a single word beyond "drz400", I just went straight to the pictures. I didn't realize you already mentioned the fact that it had no chain.

I like the swinger.

I knew a guy that owned a really ugly motorhome, and some kid commented to him once "Nice motorhome, make it yourself?" Since then, it has become a running joke. We all know that 'homemade' look. However, your swinger does not have that 'homemade' look. My compliments.

beerock
01-11-2005, 01:31 PM
that looks like a eyeball engineering swinger.

hmm eyeball engineering? makes you wonder?

joe mechanic looks at the swinger int he jig, YEP thats about right weld her up! lol

just kiddin:devil:

nice bike bro

how did the motor fit in there good? its a R frame correct? how does the seat and gas tank fit with the motor being so high?

tholt
01-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Wilkins250r:
No apologies needed. I knew i had it coming when i posted the pic. I didn't mean to make my reply sound offensive or anything.

LOL yeah i know that eyeball engineering method. Next one i build if i build another one for this quad will be a little better. You know the second is always better then the first.

The motor was a tight fit under the gas tank. I took out the square tubing underneath the gas tank and put in round tubing and slightly raised those rails a little bit so that the motor would clear better. Then i just put all my seat mounts back in the original location so it wouldn't throw off how the bike felt or rode. That also was the reason why i went no-link to clear an intake boot and all for the carb and motor. The stock link mount on the R was right in line with intake on the motor and you couldn't fit a carb on it.

When i put the motor in i tried to put the crank on the motor in almost the same place as the R motor was so that it would not throw the weight ratio off of the bike.

I just kind of can't wait to ride it now, i hate waiting on little parts that mean so much to a build.

Tim.
jmrpowersports.com

JTRtrx250r
01-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Cool, I like it! good job!!

I have 1 of the EBE swingers and was worried about the same thing haha, but so far its proven itself just fine:D

zedicus00
01-11-2005, 03:33 PM
and another good 2 stroke bites the dust...what a shame.

400ex28
01-11-2005, 04:19 PM
sweeet

nacs400ex
01-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Sick hybrid man. Nice job on the swinger.

pismoracer
01-12-2005, 11:39 AM
that looks good! can you post some more pics of the rear shock setup? im curios how you set it up?

tholt
01-12-2005, 01:29 PM
pismoracer:

I'll try to get some more up. for the no-link setup i had to raise the top shock mount i think almost 2 inches. and i just built the swingarm to a lonestar no-link specs with its shock.i had a couple of buddies with R's setup that way so i was able to take measurements off of there frames to put it where i wanted it.

Tim
JMRPowersports.com

wilkin250r
01-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by tholt
I'll try to get some more up. for the no-link setup i had to raise the top shock mount i think almost 2 inches. and i just built the swingarm to a lonestar no-link specs with its shock.i had a couple of buddies with R's setup that way so i was able to take measurements off of there frames to put it where i wanted it.

This was going to be my next question. There is much more to shocks than simply making them fit. I was curious if you actually had properly set up the shock and swinger, or just slapped it in there.

tholt
01-12-2005, 03:33 PM
I bought a shock setup for a no-link 250r. I also own a shop and rebuild shocks and revavle on a regular basis, so if i had to calce or re-spring i wouldn't have any problem.

I didn't just slap it in there, I got the stuff that works and the right stuff and can make it better if i want if need be.

Tim
JMRPowersports.com

markk
01-13-2005, 11:09 AM
that looks like a awsome quad ur building there!

wilkin250r
01-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by tholt
I bought a shock setup for a no-link 250r. I also own a shop and rebuild shocks and revavle on a regular basis, so if i had to calce or re-spring i wouldn't have any problem.

I didn't just slap it in there, I got the stuff that works and the right stuff and can make it better if i want if need be.

You would be surprised at how many people I come across that are excellent welders and craftsmen, but are otherwise clueless. I've seen people make their own A-arms and swingarms, using any available shock from God knows what. The front ends up way too soft, and the rear is way too stiff. The craftmanship is top-notch, but they still wonder why they get pitched over the bars on big whoops.

tholt
01-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Yeah i understand how that is. I have seena couple like that. I know that if i need to i'll go into the shock and change valving if i need to. But the guy told me it was setup for my weight and the setup i have.

Tim
JMRPowersports

HiZ
01-14-2005, 09:17 AM
How did you mod the stock frome for a No link?
Pics would be great!

I did the convert myself. I built the rear swingarm. Its a stock 87 frame i converted and gussetted. I also changed to a no-link setup. Made dealing with the height of the motor easier b/c of raising the shock mount.

Thanks guys. i'm glad ya'll like it.

Tim
JMRPowersports.com [/B][/QUOTE]

tholt
01-14-2005, 09:56 AM
I will try to get some pics up. But have you ever seen a cr500 link setup that like laeger or some of them do. The bar going between the frames rail is slightly bent and then they mount the shock mount off of it. I made it similar to that. By doing the curved tube it made it is easier to fit in a carb with the motor since it was so tall. Here is the closest pic i have of it right now. this was before i painted it and everything.

I finally got to crank it up today. I think it sounds pretty sweet. Gotta do a little tuning before i can go out and ride it and i'm also waiting on the fcr39 that i ordered for it to first.

http://www.jmrpowersports.com/pics/Quad4.jpg

tholt
01-16-2005, 07:43 PM
well guys i got to ride my bike finally some out in my field today. I haven't gotten a chance to take it to a track yet but i think i'm going to be pretty pleased with it. The thing feels like it rips. well just going to tell ya'll how it ran.

Tim
JMRPowersports.com

Fred
01-16-2005, 10:21 PM
nice setup. Is that the same frame mount up as cr 500 linkage?
is it acutally 2 inchs higher then stock?

tholt
01-16-2005, 11:30 PM
its real close to like a cr500 setup. the cr500 setup is also kind of moved to the right a little bit as well. the cr500 actually mounts still alittle higher then the no-link does.

Punk'd
01-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Wow you built that? Awesome quad man

Fred
01-20-2005, 08:31 AM
Have you hit the track yet how the no link feel?

tholt
01-20-2005, 09:48 AM
I plan on going and practicing this weekend on it. I have a field here with some hills and have kind of jumped them some and it feels pretty good. Haven't been able to hit anything good size to see what i think of it.

i got to practice on this thing for the first time last night. i think i'm in love with this fourwheeler now. It is just so easy to ride. hopefully i'll get to race it soon but i'll just have to see. going to be out of town for a while so it kind of sux.

Tim

tholt
01-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Fred:
I thought the no-link felt awesome. It handled everything real well. stayed sitting low in turns. The bike didn't feel top heavy at all. It even felt great through the whoops. I think i am really going to like this setup.

Tim

Fred
01-21-2005, 01:25 PM
sweet how much preload does that rear end have and what type of travel does it get?

tholt
01-21-2005, 01:51 PM
the no-link shock i have is a ohlins single rate shock. i am only running about 2 or 3 mm of preload on the spring. i think the no link setup gives you about 10 inches worth of travel. my frame height is about 8 inches with me on the quad. it feels pretty good.

Tim

Ralph
01-21-2005, 02:03 PM
how are these motors with overheating or anything like that? is that small 400ex oil tank gonna beable to handle it?

Fred
01-21-2005, 02:12 PM
thats the same oil tank tim farr used on his 0ld 426hybrid bike

tholt
01-21-2005, 02:22 PM
yeah thats just a standard 400ex oil tank. It does fine. i have to use an over sized radiator though. If you look close, look how wide the radiator is that i have on it. I couldn't use a stock radiator or it would probably over heat it pretty badly. I rode it last night for a 30 minutes or so straight pretty hard and also just idling around and my temp gun said the motor never got over 200 degree's so i don't think i'm gonna have any problems.

Doug gust also used the same oil tank on his drz440 setup that he ran in the pro-class.

Tim.