PDA

View Full Version : Help with elkas??

dlockett99
01-11-2005, 09:08 AM
I just got in my new elka front shocks 400ex stock arms supposed to be valved for 160lb MX and no reservoirs. Put them on set them up with 8" clearance in rear and 8 1/2" in front and noticed right off that they bottom out just on some small jumps at the house. Tightened the preload ring and it did very little. Called elka and they said to tighten them more. did that friday and went to the track on Saturday. They bottomed out on just about every landing!! and going into berms they give me severe body roll. I took the biggest beating you could imagine. Called elka monday. they tell me this time that I have the ride hieght set too low, not giving the shock enough travel?? Shouldnt they fully expand when I leave the ground giving it plenty of time to expand?? I want my stockers back!!!!!!!!!!!

Rootar
01-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Q's does it have compression adjustment?
do you weigh more or less than 160 punds i was told to always order your shocks 20 pounds heiver if you wanted to have alot of bottoming resitance and they could be jsut to lightly damped i would call elka and ask if they would change the valving because it was a mistake or w/e i dunno

TBD
01-11-2005, 09:25 AM
They are right about the preload(which isn't ride hieght adjustment). Springs are position sensative. Meaning that if you have the preload backed off so the quad sits lower then you won't have the right amount of spring force when it bottoms. It doesn't matter how far it drops out. The shock length and shaft travel will always be the same no matter where you set the preload. The hieght of the quad is the only thing that will change. If you have the quad at your desired race sag and it still bottoms easilly then you probally have a issue with the springs or valving. Either way I think the way Elka should of handled it is by having you send them back to see if they made a build mistake. Everyone makes them sometimes(mistakes).

Colby@C&DRacing
01-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Elka is very good with customer service. I am sure they will help you get them dialed in.:)

dlockett99
01-11-2005, 11:37 AM
There is no compression adjustment and I do weigh 160, on the box they came in it says they are set up for 160-180 lb rider. I think its got to be the valving. I am going to try and send them back to elka to check out. It just seems this guy at elka (Ethan)? doesnt want me to send them back , but right now the shocks are useless to me.