PDA

View Full Version : Gibson truck exhausts

K_Fulk
01-10-2005, 10:20 PM
My custom flowmaster exhaust fell apart a couple weeks ago. I went ahead and ordered a stainless Gibson sport truck exhaust. Should be here by the end of the week i'll get some pictures when I get it installed.

Any one else have experience with these exhausts? How do they sound, how do they look? For $300 it was a lot cheaper then going with a borla or bassani stainless system.

LTZ400rider
01-10-2005, 10:32 PM
i know they sound bad ***. should put out some good numbers. did u get dual single split rear etc? what kind of truck u got

K_Fulk
01-10-2005, 10:40 PM
I hope it helps the power some. My flowmaster setup seemed to hurt the power.

I got the dual tips coming out in front of the right rear tire. I have a 2wd Ford with a 5.4

EPDP99
01-10-2005, 10:48 PM
flowdisasters are what they are called. built for sound more than power. they sound decent but bassani or borla is the best if you can afford it.

ZSK
01-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Gibsons are great exhausts, sound awesome on the new hemi's:devil:

Allen
01-11-2005, 03:05 PM
I have a Gibson exhaust on my cummins diesel and man that thing is loud....

Mxjunkie
01-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by EPDP99
flowdisasters are what they are called. built for sound more than power. they sound decent but bassani or borla is the best if you can afford it.

Bassani is extremly well, there motorcycle pipes are awesome as well :D

acold7dusta
01-11-2005, 03:56 PM
my dads friends got a pretty modded dakota i dont know all the stuff he did to it but the gibson exhaust he def. said. it sounded like heaven. also he dyno tested his truck and said he was makin more torque than the hemi rams

southbeach14
01-11-2005, 07:32 PM
i had one one my 2003 dodge quad cab. with a 5.9 it looked great it came out in front of the back tire, it sounded great.

440exnacsracer
01-11-2005, 09:12 PM
$300 for a gibson exhaust for a 5.4 f150? good deal, you have single cab, extended, or crew? i have a single cab flareside w/ the 5.4. right now, i have true dual, turndowns, i cut the flows off. im putting them back on in a few though, because on the 5.4s it produces more horsepower. i dont think youll see a huge improvement over stock. matched up with gibson headers though, and itll really be pullin. heres my hemi eater-
motor mods
-duals -airraid intake w/ K&N -throttle body spacer -hypertech programmer

http://img56.exs.cx/img56/3214/truckfourwheelerpics0120iv.jpg

dn1911
01-11-2005, 09:18 PM
alot of times a high flow exhaust will feel like it hurt power because it shifts the power up in the RPM range. low end torque feels less but should pull harder up top. the Gibson is good stuff. i have thought about using on my built big block chevy.

K_Fulk
01-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by 440exnacsracer
$300 for a gibson exhaust for a 5.4 f150? good deal, you have single cab, extended, or crew? i have a single cab flareside w/ the 5.4. right now, i have true dual, turndowns, i cut the flows off. im putting them back on in a few though, because on the 5.4s it produces more horsepower. i dont think youll see a huge improvement over stock. matched up with gibson headers though, and itll really be pullin. heres my hemi eater-
motor mods
-duals -airraid intake w/ K&N -throttle body spacer -hypertech programmer

It was actually $312 but close enough. I have a reg cab long bed. The only mod ive done on the truck that made a good diffrence in power so far was the k&n fipk. Every time else I have done something it seems to have made it slower in the quarter mile. I'm just hoping this exhaust helps it over the flowmaster exhaust. If it dont do anything else at least I wont have to replace it again. :cool:

440exnacsracer
01-12-2005, 08:55 PM
what do you mean by fipk? if not a cold air intake, i would suggest getting on. there are some on ebay for around $60 that are nice, i would have done that, but bought my $230 airraid before i realized it. also, throttle body spacers add a little bit. the hypertech programmer is probably the biggest difference you will get for the money. i would not recommend getting ANY chip, just the hypertech programmer. also, if you are mechanically inclined, to get better low end, you could get new gears. right now you should have the 3:56, going with a 3:73 would help ALOT. i think i am going to get 4:10 gearing here soon. hope the exhaust works out good though.:cool:

K_Fulk
01-12-2005, 09:04 PM
The fipk is what k&n calls there cold air intake. I alos have a mac throttle body (75mm I think) and port matched the tube that goes from the tb to the intake. I had a jet chip and ended up getting rid of it. If I found one of the programmers for a good price I would probly pick one up.

I do have the 3.55 gears, but I would probly put a trac loc diff in it before the gears so i could take off harder. Do you have 3.73 gears? How did it affect your gas mileage. The lower gears would help bring the power back down to where I could use it.

440exnacsracer
01-12-2005, 09:21 PM
its your money, but i would definately go with gears before posi. the 5.4's come with a limited slip rear end, and for straight line traction, almost every time both tires will spin. i still have 3:55s, but i know people that run both 3:73's and 4:10s. if you are really concerned about fuel economy, go with the 3:73s, you will have a noticable increase, but if you want it to really pull hard off the line, go with the 4:10s. your speedometer will obviouly be off, and your truck will cut off around 90 instead of 110, but can be corrected with the programmer. let me know if i can help with anything else

K_Fulk
01-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Mines a one wheel wonder. Might just be easier to find a axle out of a 4x4. Then i'll have the 3.73 and limited slip.

dn1911
01-12-2005, 11:10 PM
usually a jump from 3.55's to 410's will increase your RPM by about 500 at any speed. 3.55 to 3.73 should be about 250rpm. i'm not sure what the mph difference will be. also if you do the gears and you want a posi do it at the same time. gears, posi (get an Eaton), and bearings plus labor will run around a grand to 1300 if a good shop does it.

allmixedup047
01-15-2005, 03:21 PM
my buddy had full gibson on his dodge single cab short bed. headers all the way back and it was single muffler then it came out to dual tips in front of the rear tire. it sounded really good. not to loud but had a real deep rumble, but he lost power with it. kinda strange i thought. it was on a 360.:ermm:

Got nads?
01-15-2005, 08:01 PM
anybody hear of Ravin' exhaust. They make full mandrel bent exhaust systems and make a very noticable difference in performance as well and sound really good.

Out_Sider
01-15-2005, 08:38 PM
we installed one on a supercharged v6 nissan truck, and it sounded so shiitty

ShiftFMX
01-15-2005, 08:57 PM
FIPK=Fuel Injected Performance Kit.

Hey guys, I have a 2001 Ranger 4.0 4x4, Does anyone know of good sounding exausts for my truck?

My Mods:
K&N Air Filter
Clear corners
2 15's
1200w amp
Lights Behind the grill
Blue turn signal bulbs
Silverstars in Headlights and fogs

ShiftFMX
01-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Soon i wanna put a 4" Superlift on it with 35's :D

Bush0102
01-15-2005, 08:59 PM
I've got a buddy who has a gibson system on his 03 Ram 1500 with the Hemi. It is probably one of the best sounding exhausts i've heard. It has a nice low tone. My other friend has a flowmaster system on the same motor, but it is a little more high pitched and airy. The gibson sounds great. I'm thinking of getting one for my tundra.

K_Fulk
01-19-2005, 07:25 PM
Got the exhaust today and installed it. It sounds about like the stock exhaust at idle. Higher in the revs its not loud but it has a good tone. Maybe it will bet a little louder? Most do after some time.

Seems like it has more torque which should keep it from being such a slug like it has been since i had my flowdisasters installed. Quality seems pretty nice too.