PDA

View Full Version : Bought the more expensive pad and>

OH2400ex
01-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Bought the middle of the road pads 25bucks and I can tell they are much better but thicker pad than the ones I installed a few months ago and got no life out of and paid 12 bucks for. Well these new pads are so thick that they have a ton of drag right now, I checked to make sure they were the correct part # and they are. I compressed the piston and installed everything correct I guess they are just gonna have to wear some before the drag will go away, but then again there is a ton of drag , anyone else run into this on the thick metallic pads???

01-10-2005, 09:11 PM
are these offbrand pads? u may have to sand some down off them

OH2400ex
01-11-2005, 11:44 AM
Mike great suggestion on grinding > the part # is VD1272J and they are the middle of road expense wise and I can tell they look to be a much better pad than the first set but they are so thick. ANd I know the brakes are in good working order so it has to be the excessive thick pad dragging it down, would you recommend grinding some if the thickness off the pad or just riding the quad and letting the rotor wear it where it need be????? They have enough drag where I can tell its slowing the quad down.

400ex28
01-11-2005, 04:06 PM
what brand are they??:confused:

BuB400
01-11-2005, 05:34 PM
If its on the rear brake, back the parking brake off.

OH2400ex
01-11-2005, 07:14 PM
The name brand of the pad started with the letter V and that is the part number in above post. I removed the parking brake a while back and it has a blockoff plate on it so I dont think that has anything to do with it. I removed the outer pad today (not the one resting on the piston) and ground it down some and it seemed to help but there is still drag, enough to where I rode it for 15 minutes or so around the yard and when I shut it off I couldnt hold my hand on the rotor is was so hot. I guess it will eventually wear itself to where the drag is all but gone but I doubt I will go with these pads next time , they are just to thick and I have already negated them in some aspects since I have had to grind one of the pads, next time its Honda pads.

markk
01-21-2005, 02:52 PM
I have uses least expensive to most Tusk, Nissin=(stock),Ebc, DP They all work good, But the Tusk pad are 1/2 the price and they seem to last almost as long!

ex kid
01-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Versah??????(sp)

sickmojave
01-22-2005, 05:11 AM
Maybe this :confused:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53841

01-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by markk
I have uses least expensive to most Tusk, Nissin=(stock),Ebc, DP They all work good, But the Tusk pad are 1/2 the price and they seem to last almost as long!

I have had nothing but good experiences with TUSK products too including their clutch kit...superb for the recreational rider

markk
01-23-2005, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by sickmojave
Maybe this :confused:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53841

This might sound dumb, But i took the rear caliper piston out and cut the pin off of it. I took my caliper and had a local welder Tig in the hole where it used to slide out. Thus (my theroy) Giving u more braking power by alowing the brake fluid to push outward on more of the piston. And u dont have to buy all the seals when u rebuild ur calipers. And u wont ever run into this problem again!

ANYONE ELSE EVER DO THIS??