PDA

View Full Version : Look out!!

450R_lover
01-10-2005, 07:26 PM
I recently took my 450r to my nearest dealer to install a Hotcam stage II and when i got it back, everything seemed fine. I rode it for maybe 2 hours when i ran into a rattling problem. I was just riding easy and all the sudden the engine started rattling and it lost power. I was like wtf, it sounded like a bolt had come loose inside somewhere. So, I took it back to the dealer and they thought it sounded like it was coming from the water pump area. They checked the water pump and everything was in spec. He told me that " these are high performance engines, which means your going to hear noises from this engine that you wouldnt from others. We rode it and it didnt seem like it had lost power, so just take it home and ride it. If it does anything weird on you then bring it back and we'll check it out."
Well, I took it home and rode it down the road to see if it really had lost power, and it had. It would cut out in the mid range as if it was hitting the rev limiter, then it didnt have any top end at all. I took it back to the garage and left it, knowing that something was wrong. I then took it to a buddy that is a mechanic at a local atv/dirt bike shop. He rebuilt my Trailblazer top to bottom and did a great job, so i trust him. I dropped it off there on Sunday and he checked it out and called me on Monday.
He said that he took the cam and stuff out and noticed that the valve clip? had popped out and thats why my right side intake valve was so tight. He said that he would have to take the head off to put it back in place and hopefully the valve isnt bent.

Just a heads up guys. :macho

PS: Do you guys think this was caused by my dealer putting in the cam wrong or just one of those coincidences??

Thanks,
Garrett

Martin Blair
01-10-2005, 07:39 PM
the valve retainers shouldnt been disturbed wyhen installing the cam, but who knows, why not just have you buddy install the came anyway?

Colby@C&DRacing
01-10-2005, 07:47 PM
The installing dealer should not have had to mess with the valve keeper. We have had this happen on a 660 grizzly motor a few months after a cam install. The adjusting shim if properly installed should always hold the keeper in place, If it was not installed properly in the center of the valve this could cause it to spit out a keeper:(

450R_lover
01-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Well.. i asked him but he hadnt been inside a 450r motor, since they are new and all. They didnt have the service manual at his cycle shop either so he didnt have any torque specs or anything to go by. Other than that i would have taken it to him.
Thanks for the response man.

450R_lover
01-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Colby,
I dont think the dealer even shimmed the valves like they were supposed to. I wasnt charged for anything other than the cam installation which was really cheap IMO... $66 and only 1.2 hours to install. So, i really think they are what has caused the valve keeper to pop out of place.
Thanks man

briantrx
01-11-2005, 10:46 AM
the same thing happened to mine last year, like 2 weeks after i got it. except mine would not even start! the retainer slipped off. it was from the dealer installing the cam wrong. luckly mine would not start so there was no permananent damage done. hopefully yours is ok. good luck

steveatv3
01-11-2005, 12:05 PM
I was about to say what ur describing sounds like a bent valve

450R_lover
01-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Also, when we took the valve cover off... we both noticed that the cam lobes that ride on the intake valves were worn a bit. Like the black was turned to silver. Will this effect performance or anything?
Thanks for the responses guys,
Garrett