PDA

View Full Version : Sled help

TM426
01-10-2005, 06:37 PM
I know nothing about sleds. Im looking into getting a arctic cat zr500. Are these fast, and what do I look for? I dont know which ones are fast. My buddy races snowcross on a 440 and I havent asked him anything yet. I dont want anything slow after a few rides. Any knowledge would be apprieciated(SP)

GoFastCat
01-10-2005, 07:11 PM
The ZR500 is a really good sled and for a 500cc engine it screams and could keep up with most 600's of its time. They are a pretty quick sled and it'll show you 90mph in the right conditions.
The engines dont have any known problems with them and the ZR chasis is excellent for aggressive trail riding. Some thing to look for would be ofcourse the overall condition, track condiiton, mileage, ask the owner some question about its service records and where the greese zerks are. Also bring a compression gauge along with you and give it a check.
If you do by it set aside some good money for fuel, their a thirsty motor.

theTman
01-10-2005, 07:12 PM
they are very quick!!! we have one with a pipe/reeds/studs/race skis and the fastest its been is 105 with all that....they scream:)

TM426
01-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys. I want something i can have alot of fun and keep up with others.

Scott-300ex
01-10-2005, 07:24 PM
aren't all sleds fast?

lol

MotoX3
01-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
aren't all sleds fast?

lol
no

Quad18star
01-10-2005, 08:45 PM
Well here's a few questions ... How old are you? Is this your first sled? What type of riding will you be doing?

The ZR 500 is a nice sled , but it's not for everyone . Personally I don't like it because of it's handling . I find even with mods it still pushes alot in corners . They are quick ... with work done to them . They will not be the fastest thing around though . If you're a beginner or intermediate rider ( few years experience under you) it's a good sled . If you're looking to do a lot of lake running or straight line stuff ... there's faster out there . Myself , I'd buy either a 600 , 700 or 800 . If I was to do a lot of fast trails , I'd get an MXZ 600... If I was to do straight line ( lake) running .. it would be an SRX 700 or a Mach Z 800 Tech .

TM426
01-11-2005, 06:20 AM
IM 23 and new to all this. Power im not worried about. I learned how to ride a quad on my 400ex.(not that its a rocket or anything) I just dont want to buy a sled for a season then have to upgrade for the next. Im going to be doing fast trail/lake riding. I would like to stay with arctic cat because my friend races, works for, and builds his own. If I need any parts I can get them dirt cheap. I still have to talk to him Im sure hes got a line on a good sled anyway.

Quad18star
01-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by TM426
IM 23 and new to all this. Power im not worried about. I learned how to ride a quad on my 400ex.(not that its a rocket or anything) I just dont want to buy a sled for a season then have to upgrade for the next. Im going to be doing fast trail/lake riding. I would like to stay with arctic cat because my friend races, works for, and builds his own. If I need any parts I can get them dirt cheap. I still have to talk to him Im sure hes got a line on a good sled anyway.

Well if you're able to adapt quickly to a sled and don't want to be bored after one season I really suggest not getting a 500 . The 500 would be a great sled if you're gunna do a lot of medium pace trail riding , but from what you've mentioned , I'd really say get into atleast a 600 or higher . I know a lot of guys that have bought 500's as a first sled ( all different makes) and they usually upgrade the following season or wish they had bought a 600 or 700 .

But with whatever you chose , you'll have fun out on the trails . I love sledding more than I love quading . It just seems like theres more opportunities to ride different terrains . Hope this helps you out a bit .

TM426
01-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Thanks for all the input it all helps, when you know nothing about sleds

Matt400ex_17
01-11-2005, 04:54 PM
just bought a 97 ZR 580 nice sled mint condition and i can only get it over 90 on a packed trail or road through fresh powder in a field im lucky to hit 85. The ZR series is for racing with a new pipe and some clutch work will easily turn over the 100's. the thing to look for on the ZR is the stator i guess there bad the one i bought has 4500 miles and its on its 3rd. I have the EFI liquid cooled completely stock.

TM426
01-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Whats the difference between a ZR and a ZL, but im kinda looking at the F7s

GoFastCat
01-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by TM426
Whats the difference between a ZR and a ZL, but im kinda looking at the F7s
The main difference is the shocks. The ZR uses rebuildable high performance FOX or ACT shocks while the ZL uses non-rebuildable Ryde-FX shocks for a smoother ride. In 98-99 the ZL had a 2" wider ski stance then the ZR, which was widened for 2000. After that the ZL took a turn for the more luxury trail riding coming with electric start and reverse. They both use the exact same engines.