PDA

View Full Version : Bike flew off cliff, into a bed of water-->

platinum350
01-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Well, my brother just got a raptor...not too used to the power and hit the gas too hard and ended up flying off a 20ft. cliff into a thing of water. Other than being soaking wet, he was unscratched....absolutley amazing what I witnessed! ANyway, I am trying to get his bike running. Most of it was under water...I don't think the slip on got submerged. We haven't tried starting it cause tere probably is water in it.

I popped off his airbox cover and there was water inside. We lifted the bike upright and looked to see if any water came out of the intake manifold but it didn't look like any was in there. We drained the gas already. So my real question is, what should we do? I am assuming to change the oil.....what else can we do not to hurt the enine?
thanks!!

Bill Fuller
01-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Remove the plug and turn the motor over to pump out the remaining water.Then replace the oil and run the bike and let it idles for a minute or 2.Change the oil again and repeat process until clean oil comes out.I would use a cheaper oil to flush the motor and when you get it cleaned out replace with your normal oil.Remove the carb and drain and clean it.Remove the gas tank and drain and clean it(check the screen).I would also stand the bike up on the grab bar to drain water out.

400ex28
01-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Remove the plug and turn the motor over to pump out the remaining water.Then replace the oil and run the bike and let it idles for a minute or 2.Change the oil again and repeat process until clean oil comes out.I would use a cheaper oil to flush the motor and when you get it cleaned out replace with your normal oil.Remove the carb and drain and clean it.Remove the gas tank and drain and clean it(check the screen).I would also stand the bike up on the grab bar to drain water out.

Well said :cool:

atvracr350
01-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Just wondering how long had he been running the bike before it flew off the cliff? If the engine was hot there is always that chance it could have cracked the cylinder. That is an extreme case but it is possible. My friend just ran his kawasaki bayou 220 into a mud hole very fast and it cracked the clyinder so if it won't crank just consider that it doesn't have enough compression due to the cylinder. Hope i helped. And also be sure to clean his carb real good with carb cleaner to make sure there is not grit and mud up in the jets and stuff.

Kyle

platinum350
01-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Thanks BigFuller and all you guys....it's much appreciated!

frogburner
01-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by platinum350
Well, my brother just got a raptor...not too used to the power and hit the gas too hard and ended up flying off a 20ft. cliff into a thing of water. Other than being soaking wet, he was unscratched....absolutley amazing what I witnessed! ANyway, I am trying to get his bike running. Most of it was under water...I don't think the slip on got submerged. We haven't tried starting it cause tere probably is water in it.

I popped off his airbox cover and there was water inside. We lifted the bike upright and looked to see if any water came out of the intake manifold but it didn't look like any was in there. We drained the gas already. So my real question is, what should we do? I am assuming to change the oil.....what else can we do not to hurt the enine?
thanks!!

Sucks to be him..