PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Quiet Exhaust

tschoeberl
01-10-2005, 02:59 PM
I just picked up a 2001 400EX for my wife and she doesn't like the FMF Power Core 4 slip-on that came with it. She says it is way to loud for her and I would agree with her on this one. It is even louder than my Banshee.

What she wants is a "quieter" slip on for it. We do most of our riding at the Oregon Dunes and the rangers love to test loud quads. I know that this one would not even come close to passing.

Who makes the best "quiet" pipe for these quads? I have heard different people talk about the WB E2, FMF Q, and HMF w/quiet insert. Who is running what and how do you like them?

Also the guy I bought this quad from put on a k&N w/airbox vents, the FMF pipe, and was running it with stock jetting. How much damage do you think he did to it? I am going to rejet it real soon, but need some help on jetting it. This is my first four stroke and I could use some suggestions. I ride at about 300-500ft ASL and I will be running it without the lid soon.

Thanks...

sickmojave
01-10-2005, 03:40 PM
HMF w/quiet insert is still LOUD. I have them and know..;)

tschoeberl
01-10-2005, 04:25 PM
I was leaning towards the White Brothers E2. It has a pretty cool look to it. I was told it has a larger canister than the e-series.

Thump_It
01-10-2005, 05:05 PM
The WB E2 is still around 96-98 with the quiet core in it. Honestly, stock is what you are wanting if you want quiet for the Oregon Dunes. Most aftermarket exhaust that come with a quiet core that really quiet a bike down are just as restrictive as stock. I do know of one company that will get you down to Oregon db level and give you decent power gains....that is the LTE exhaust. It is a full dual pipe system. It looks good, but is spendy. Good luck with your choices.

devildriver422
01-10-2005, 05:19 PM
do you know if they have a site

Thump_It
01-10-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm pretty sure it's www.lteracing.com.

muddy400EX
01-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by tschoeberl
I just picked up a 2001 400EX for my wife and she doesn't like the FMF Power Core 4 slip-on that came with it. She says it is way to loud for her and I would agree with her on this one. It is even louder than my Banshee.

What she wants is a "quieter" slip on for it. We do most of our riding at the Oregon Dunes and the rangers love to test loud quads. I know that this one would not even come close to passing.

Who makes the best "quiet" pipe for these quads? I have heard different people talk about the WB E2, FMF Q, and HMF w/quiet insert. Who is running what and how do you like them?

Also the guy I bought this quad from put on a k&N w/airbox vents, the FMF pipe, and was running it with stock jetting. How much damage do you think he did to it? I am going to rejet it real soon, but need some help on jetting it. This is my first four stroke and I could use some suggestions. I ride at about 300-500ft ASL and I will be running it without the lid soon.

Thanks...

thats the sound of power man;) ill prolly get flamed for this but i looove loud quads. they just sound so cool. its not that loud when your riding it anyways. you might as well just get stock exhaust cuz all aftermarkets pipes are loud. but with stock it will sound like a lawnmower and you wont be able to hear your bike when your with other piped quads, which really sucks!

hondardr4life
01-10-2005, 05:40 PM
I do agree with him. Riding a stock quad among piped quads is terrible. I did that for a whiel and couldnt even hear when to shift gears. But I know what you mean about having to have a quiet quad for the dunes. What I would do is try to find out what their DB level is and do research and find out what pipe will meet the requirement.

Thump_It
01-10-2005, 06:10 PM
The Oregon Dune decibal limit is 93

muddy400EX
01-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Thump_It
The Oregon Dune decibal limit is 93

:eek2: youre gonna have to get stock

Thump_It
01-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Yeah stock or like i said earlier the LTE exhaust.

hondardr4life
01-10-2005, 06:32 PM
WOW:eek2: . That is one low limit. I would have to say stock or the lte like he said. But I figured that the lte would be loud from the looks of it.

Thump_It
01-10-2005, 06:36 PM
With the quiet cores the LTE gets down to 89db or so, and since it is a dual system it would not choke the bike up that much, but I don't know.

hondardr4life
01-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Ya that makes sense about the dual pipes. They look awesome too.

tschoeberl
01-10-2005, 09:52 PM
So what is everyone running at the dunes in Oregon on their 400ex's? I know what I can use on my two strokers, but not sure what to run on the four stroke. I know alot of you guys ride down at the dunes, so what do you recommend? I don't want to ride stock...

jmpulse
01-10-2005, 10:27 PM
So what is everyone running at the dunes in Oregon on their 400ex's? I know what I can use on my two strokers, but not sure what to run on the four stroke. I know alot of you guys ride down at the dunes, so what do you recommend? I don't want to ride stock...

The only choises to get down to 93dB are stock w/o any removing of baffles, defuser disk style exaust which will be minorly better than stock, or the LTE Racing system. No other system out there is even close.

Thump_It
01-11-2005, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by jmpulse
The only choises to get down to 93dB are stock w/o any removing of baffles, defuser disk style exaust which will be minorly better than stock, or the LTE Racing system. No other system out there is even close.

Actually, The Yoshimura TRS pipe is able to get down pretty dang low. Yoshi has developed a new insert that quiets down the pipe substantially, I think down to 93-94 without a very large power loss. I would go with this pipe or the LTE.

To answer the question about what people are running down at the Oregon Dunes on their 400's.....People run everything imagineable, but that doesn't make it legal. I suggest getting a quiet pipe to set an example. If people don't start making smarter decisions we might end up losing our dunes in the near future :(.

plkmonster2
01-11-2005, 10:39 AM
I don't think that they are too concerned about noise in Oregon. I ran my HMF there with no probs. I brought the stock along though. While I was there, I rode a 400 with the Q muffler. It is just a tad louder than stock, but I couldn't feel any gain. The hmf with quiet core is still loud. I think mine is 96 or better.

Thump_It
01-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Actually, they have been cracking down big time. I've seen the cops sitting just outside the whoop roads waiting for all the 4-strokes to ride by, then they snag them and test them.

olimj
01-11-2005, 12:10 PM
I ride the OR dunes too and yes, noise is the single biggest land use issue for us. We've already lost a large chunk of dunes due to noise boundaries, so regardless of whether you think you can get away with it, it affects everyone.

I'm building my EX up and working on a sleeper setup using a stock 450r pipe + Pro circuit header. Picked up both used on the cheap. The two should mate fine, I'll just need to relocate the hanger bracket on the can. The result should be a relatively open and quiet exhaust for well under $200. HRC end cap provides additional sound/flow tweaking.

tschoeberl
01-14-2005, 10:17 PM
I just wanted to thank all of you who helped me out with my decision. I ended up getting a White Brothers E2 slip on. It came in today and I just got done putting it on. It sounds great and it was easy to install. It looks really cool on the red plastic and can't wait to get it jetted and take it for a spin and see how it performs.

I was wondering what a good start on the jetting should be for me. It has a K&N filter and I want to run it w/o a lid on it. I am at around 300-500 ft ASL. Should I put in a 42 pilot jet for it? I don't know what to run for the main jet and needle. Thanks for your help.

muddy400EX
01-14-2005, 10:49 PM
is the e2 really that much quieter than the fmf?:(

MarkyNark
01-14-2005, 10:50 PM
I have the dual LTEs' - they are quiet - They perform well...... Perfect for dune performance.

tschoeberl
01-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Yes the E2 is alot quieter than the FMF. I couldn't believe the difference. It has a really nice sound to it. You would think that it would have the stock muffle to it, but it doesn't. It has a nice throaty sound coming from it. I can't wait to pull out the quiet core and see what it sounds like then.

muddy400EX
01-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Yes the E2 is alot quieter than the FMF. I couldn't believe the difference. It has a really nice sound to it. You would think that it would have the stock muffle to it, but it doesn't. It has a nice throaty sound coming from it. I can't wait to pull out the quiet core and see what it sounds like then.

its already that quiet and your wanting to put a quiet core on it? your really not into sound, are you?:(

tschoeberl
01-14-2005, 11:46 PM
This is my wife's quad, not mine. If it were mine, I would have a HMF on it. She wants the power, but not the noise. The E2 sounds very nice and not overly load (this is with the quiet core in it). I want to take it out sometime to see how much louder it really is. Plus it looks sweet on her red plastic.

muddy400EX
01-14-2005, 11:51 PM
oooh, i misread your post. i was wonderin how them would be that quiet, i forgot they had a quiet core. but ya, i bet it sounds real nice w/o the quiet core;)