PDA

View Full Version : Worn clutch cushions

UK450R
01-10-2005, 10:40 AM
I recently bought a Hinson clutch basket.

On fitting the unit I have found the stock cushions need replacing, as there is excessive play between the basket and gear (the instructions say re use stock ones).

I have tried to get replacement OEM cushions for Honda – but they only sell the basket, gear, cushions etc as a complete unit.

I have also tried Hinson & Wiseco – neither makes replacement cushions.

It’s looking as if I might have to buy a complete unit from Honda – just to strip out the cushions….

Does anyone know of a company that sells just the cultch cushions for the 450R?

Martin Blair
01-10-2005, 11:27 AM
what are you taking about the friction plates? or what

Silverfox@C&DRacing
01-10-2005, 11:51 AM
he is talking about the cushions on the back of the stock basket these cushions isolate the movement of the basket, keeps it from slaming against the gears in the tranny

UK450r is correct no one sells the cushions seperate hopefully someone will realize this is a needed part and get them made.

UK450R
01-11-2005, 02:09 AM
Someone on another site recommended asking http://www.uppracing.com/ they already make clutch cushions for banshee’s.

So I’ll see if they have anything – and maybe try and persuade them to start making something.

I’ll let you all know how I get on.

UK450R
01-11-2005, 10:51 AM
I spoke to UPP today; they would be able to make them up

However they wanted to do some research into the market first to see if it was worth their while. They have a 450R themselves and had not had any problems yet with it – so possibly need a little persuading.

Anyone who has had similar problems with clutch cushions – let me know or call UPP direct.

Equally anyone who runs the Rekluse system – if for any reason you open up your clutch to check the clearance gap etc – also double check your basket for excessive ‘play’.

Just grab the basket and with the gear held firm you will be able to feel movement if you try to rotate it forwards-backwards.

Mine recluse system was in for about half a season before it went, so others may soon start giving problems. I have spoken to rekluse and they are aware of the problem – they have had the same thing with the CRF450R bike. Only difference is with, the CRF people make replacement cushions!

I also double checked with Henson and Wiseco. Henson have no plans to produce replacement cushions, Wiseco don’t even have a basket etc available yet (don’t get confused with the CRF – they are different).

thump4863
01-12-2005, 07:37 AM
Me and my dad both run rekluses....he had the same problem you had only his cushions didnt wear out. He did however have to replace the clutch basket. Rekluse told him to check the cushions but they were fine. Mine however is still running good. We both had them installed at the same time and were in for a little over six months. Sime ride time and everything.

KILLAQuad
01-12-2005, 07:44 AM
Now what confuses me is that when you get a Hinson basket it has a sticker on it that says CRF/TRX... it will fit the Bike and Quad..... Why would wiseco say they are diff. Im a Wiseco dealer and i just called them and asked them about it and they said it is diff. but they dont know the specifics.... i think they just look at the part numbers and see that the part numbers are diff. but the part its self shouldnt be......

???? ... this quad is confuesing me.....:ermm:

speedfreaksguy
02-25-2006, 09:57 AM
I am having the same issue with my cushions. I called Hinson and they told me they have received a bunch of feedback from other 450r owners having the same problem. Has anyone found a solution?? I am in the process of making shims to help but I know its only a temporary fix.

jchurch
03-03-2006, 07:17 AM
I have been told about other people shimming or preloading the cushions. Can someone please explain how you are doing this and how are the results.
I am getting ready to install a rekluse/hinson combination and would really like to see it live more than six months!
Thanks....JC

mike nash
03-03-2006, 07:38 AM
Supposedly Rekluse has a wiseco basket specifically designed to be used with their product. Give them a call.

03-03-2006, 09:08 AM
I'm not 100% sure but I thought i say them in an add in ATV Sport magazine.

jchurch
03-03-2006, 10:18 AM
I have talked to Rekluse and they (Charles) said that the Hinson basket is a viable alternative. I thought it was pretty cool that he didn't try to sell me a basket. He is actually the person who was telling me about preloading the cushions. I was just wondering if anyone on here has done this and how well it worked.
Thanks for the feedback....JC

ATC350X 85
03-03-2006, 06:08 PM
I think these cushions are going bad on my bike. When the bike is cold the clutch is very loud with the bike at idle, if i pull in the clutch the noise goes away.

Hammer trx450r
12-30-2006, 07:51 AM
Anybody have any luck finding the cushions??????????????

12-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Here is a set for a dirt bike. I don't lnow if anyone knows if they are the same.

http://www.moto-man.com/cgi-bin/motoman/2295.html

Hammer trx450r
12-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
Here is a set for a dirt bike. I don't lnow if anyone knows if they are the same.

http://www.moto-man.com/cgi-bin/motoman/2295.html

Awesome thanks dude

12-31-2006, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
Awesome thanks dude

No problem. Please let us know if they work. If they do I will order a set to have in stock.

speedfreaksguy
12-31-2006, 12:30 PM
The CRF cushions don't fit the 04-05 TRX's. I don't know about the 06-07. I had the same problem and couldn't find them anywhere. I ended up shimming the worn cushions to tighten everything up.

desratt
01-01-2007, 03:12 PM
i have had this problem on my 04 but not my 06 yet

hondamano4
01-01-2007, 04:18 PM
i have rekluse clutch basket and it came with cushion shims. that is what they say in the manual that they are to take out the play in the basket and the gear. all they are thin piece of look like brass. they took out all the play on my basket. if you guys want the part number it is 184-115 just call rekluse at 208-426-0659 and give them the part #.

here is a pic of how you install them hope this help

Eric