PDA

View Full Version : Cams cams cams....

Ex_Rider43
01-10-2005, 09:08 AM
well after searching I cant decide which cam would be the best for me Im still here debating between the HRC cam or another ...Im also considering a CRF cam. Note that Im only racing MX.

I can also buy another brand but I tried a hotcam in my 400 2 years ago and it was pure chit.

please give me some advice guys im ordering all the parts tonight!

Thump_It
01-10-2005, 11:21 AM
The HRC cam is a nice aggressive cam more for the topend. I personally have the 04 CRF cam and it works great, but the CRF cam really shines once you put a high compression piston in. If you plan on putting a differen't piston in one of these days, that's the way to go. :devil:

beak7707
01-10-2005, 11:35 AM
That would also be true with the HRC cam. Like Thump_It said its a top end cam, so with the low end grunt of a high comp piston its a nice setup. I know a few people personaly who run the HRC kit in XC racing and like it, I've also heard from a few people that is what chris borich runs. So I would think it would also work for MX. I myself went with the HRC kit minus the HRC cam because I'm not going to run a high comp piston. I went with the sparks/crf02 cam, it is supposed to have lots of lowend with a nice mid punch, it also gain about 3 hp on top. I havent had a chance to ride it yet since my rear shock is at GTT, but as soon as I do I'll give you an update. Also you might not have liked your hot cam but there are a ton of people running the stage 2 in the 450 and love it.

Martin Blair
01-10-2005, 11:39 AM
hotcams stage 2 is nice everywhere

Ex_Rider43
01-10-2005, 12:32 PM
yeah I will probably put a piston later this summer so I dont know.... its now a battle between the HRC and the CRF but which year CRF cam?? I heard '03 beacause sparks was selling '03 cams as 'his' agressive cam :huh

which one would benefit more with the piston. also which piston? i want to keep it fast and reliable im looking for JE but which compression ratio should I use?

KILLAQuad
01-10-2005, 12:46 PM
I was wanting to see about a cam for a 500 kit and 12-1 piston for XC Racing???? i was thinking the HC Stg 2 but not sure.... What are some suggestions for that.....:ermm:

Thump_It
01-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by ex_rider52
yeah I will probably put a piston later this summer so I dont know.... its now a battle between the HRC and the CRF but which year CRF cam?? I heard '03 beacause sparks was selling '03 cams as 'his' agressive cam :huh

which one would benefit more with the piston. also which piston? i want to keep it fast and reliable im looking for JE but which compression ratio should I use?

I remember hearing a while back that Tim Farr was using the '04 CRF cam.....atleast he was last year. If you don't mind running race gas, 13.5:1 is the way to go for a piston. I think JE has that kit. Sparks has a 13.8:1 kit as well. Sparks also has a kit with a 12:1 piston which allows you to still run pump gas.

seamonster
01-10-2005, 03:19 PM
I am trying the Baldwin XC cam...some of the top XC guys are running this one with really good success...will find out for myself.....:)

ms250r
01-10-2005, 03:42 PM
I just got my bike back and i put on a new exhaust (gt-thunder) and jetted it and put the HRC cam in and from the little bit that i rode it, it seems to really pull hard now, i am really impressed with the hrc cam.
I bought the Sparks(crf) cam but never put it in, i heard this cam is also really good.
THE SPARKS IS FOR SALE. let me know, i could sell it to ya for cheaper then what u would pay for a new one.;)

dn1911
01-10-2005, 04:24 PM
hey Beak you will like the HRC cam more. the CRF dosen't help as much as thought. i have rode both. i like my HotCam stage 2 the most though.

frogdaddy
01-10-2005, 06:01 PM
i have the HMF system, it has good low to mid power and a little on top, if i got the hrc cam how much bottom would i lose or what cam should i get, i ride woods not real tight woods and dirt roads i would like good power everywhere, but i know u have to lose some to gain some

thanks

beak7707
01-10-2005, 07:04 PM
dn1911 I'd say your probably right, but I bought the sparks cam for 100 bucks. I figured for that price I had to give it a try, on top of that I have heard some people who really like it. So if I ever get my 450 back together and it stops raining, I might find out I really like it. Since I race XC I figured the stronger bottom and mid would be what I was after. I also think since I have the rest of the HRC kit it should make the sparks cam perform better. If nothing else I'll spend 120 and get a hot cams stage 2 and have about the same if not better performance than the HRC.

DirtDevilBT
01-10-2005, 09:51 PM
What the heck, I'll jump in this. I have an HMF, filter, jetting, and run lidless. I am looking for new power. I don't want to go with a piston right now, or maybe ever I don't know yet. But, I ride desert style XC and out at Glamis every now and then. I am looking at a new cam but have run out of info as to which one is the right one. I would like to get one that doesn't lose any bottom end, but then again I don't want the cam giving the bike a negitive affect when I'm up on 4&5 gears. I wouldn't have a problem with the HRC but I hear it loses bottom. The HC ST2 sounds nice but do these cams hold up like Web cams do? I mean, I have had a Web in my warrior for ever now and that's what I want out of the 450r's. Thanks for any info...

beak7707
01-11-2005, 01:21 PM
DirtDevilBT, it sounds to me like the sparks/crf02 cam would be a good choice for you. It has a large increase in bottom and mid range power with about 3 hp on top. From what I have heard the hot cams stage 2 would also be a good choice for you. I have only heard good things about it, with no power lost anywhere in the range. That will probably be the next cam I install in mine if I decide I dont want the Sparks. I havent heard of them having any problems, I think they are really good cams for a good price.

Ex_Rider43
01-11-2005, 09:00 PM
ill give the crf '02 cam a try on the dyno VS stock unit and ill try another brand too juste to see the diference between aftermarket cam and a stock CRF cam.