PDA

View Full Version : what are the best upgrades for lots of power

09-05-2001, 01:44 PM
I was wondering if it could get som advise on what do get this winter for my 400 ex. I just recently got my 400 ex this summer and have no upgrades and it is red. i also have a 500 budget and am looking to spending it all on my ex. I also want more low end power because i dont really go for top speeds. and also what would i get to beat a bone stock 2002 raptor. Thanks:devil

09-05-2001, 01:56 PM
I like the name....:D
Well first off 500 bucks won't cut it to beat a stock raptor. Your gonna need some motor work done to do that,,like going with a high compression piston with a .80 over bore,or 440 kit, a wilder cam, port & polish, and maybe a new carb but not a must.
But for 500 beans you can get a complete pipe kit and K&N powerkit which will make a nice difference in power. To get more bottom end get ya a 14 tooth sprocket,,cheap but effective..
Look in a dirtwheels mag at magic racing and golden cycle they have power up kits with the pipe and filter kit for around 500 bucks,,,that should get ya started chief...later

Oh and what pipe to get wellllllll,,,that's a question thats been asked on this message board about 10000000000000 times,,,there all good it's just up to what you want,,,I run a complete FMF pipe and love it but my second choice would be a bills thunder pipe,,from magic racing,,good luck.:devil

09-06-2001, 03:33 PM
If you want more low end, by a "All Around" cam, ($175.00) TCracing is a great cam, buy a timing advance key,( $15.00) K&N jet kit ($50.00), and a Big Gun slip on pipe ($250.00)for increased low end torque. You will like the results.

max400EX
09-06-2001, 11:15 PM
It dont take alot to beat a raptor.
Timing advance key $15, all around cam $150, shaved flywheel $40, modified stock exhaust $free , jet kit $50, stock bore 10 8:1 piston $150
...with beer money to spare

Guy400
09-07-2001, 06:06 AM
max, while that's a good recipe for power it's not going to be a Raptor beater. **This is not a flame** I'm not sure if you've ever seen a drag race between a stock Raptor and a stock 400EX but it's very lopsided. If a hi-comp piston and cam is all that's needed to beat a Raptor wouldn't everyone be doing it? Heck, even the guys with the good 416 and 440 kits will tell you that it's just now that they can beat the Raptor's. While you can beat up on Raptor's in the turns you have got to respect that power that the Yammy motor puts out. 36hp at the wheels and a torque curve that looks like the Sahara (long and flat).

MOFO
09-07-2001, 06:37 AM
Guy is right on this. You need an increase in CC's to become a "stock" Raptor beater. " There's no replacement for displacement, except boost" :D

Eric

Wheelie
09-07-2001, 09:20 AM
I've raced several Raptors, and I'm not too impressed. They beat me by three or four quad lengths in a 100+yd drag, that was with a modded stock silencer and airbox. The Raptor puts out more power, but it also has 45 extra lbs (wet weight). Weight=horsepower, acceleration, handling,etc. When it comes to riding though its 75% rider and 25% quad.....

Guy400
09-07-2001, 04:38 PM
100 yard drag race? That's about what, middle of 3rd gear? That's really not much of a race. If it's 3 or 4 bike lengths at 100 yards it's going to be more like 10 at 300 yards. I've raced a piped and filtered/no lid EX and it's ugly in a straight line. Now in the woods it's anybody's ballgame with no clear winner. But on the flat I've come from about 3 bikes back and when my cousin takes off on me I can easily pass him and keep walking away until we shut 'em down.

max400EX
09-07-2001, 05:26 PM
Hey Guy, How come you are never on AIM anymore?
Well, those mods i listed... i am pretty sure it owuld beat a stock raptor.. maybe bye a few quad lengths.. but still. Me and my friend race (he has a raptor) one day we had 4 people all switchin from 400EX to Raptor.. Everyone was impressed that the 400 kept up so well... it never won a race... but it never got crushed.

09-07-2001, 08:34 PM
Hey Guy,
My friend at work wants a raptor bad, and I believe he's going to get one. I want to see how my ex does compared to the 02'. Ol' boy can ride so once he gets use to it, I'll have to hammerdown charli brown.
Raptor must be some kind of threat cause all the 400's trying to beat em'. That'll probably be my goal when he gets his and modifies it.
Oh well, let it rip and be safe doing it !
John