PDA

View Full Version : trailer without title

meangreen400ex
01-09-2005, 09:00 PM
I just bought a trailer w/o a title b.c the owner didn't have one. The trailer is legit though. I was wonder how I can go about getting plates for my trailer and or a title

Aceman
01-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Try applying for a lost title at the DMV?

popo
01-10-2005, 06:31 AM
If the trailer is under a certain weight most states do not issue a title.

He should have a MSO statement or look on the left front side of the trailer, there is a silver tag with the VIN and MSO.

Take those numbers to your local BMV with a bill of sale notorized or have the seller go with you to swear and afirm the sale is true and pay the registration cost to transer the trailer in your name.

sharkinthepool
01-10-2005, 08:26 AM
Take it to a feed store and tell them that you need a weigh slip to take to the BMV. They will weigh the trailer and as long as it comes in under weight you do not need the title.

The BMV can issue a plate for the trailer with just the that slip! As long as it is under 600lbs, I think! Might be 500lbs.

02ex
01-10-2005, 04:59 PM
here in indiana no matter what size or weight u have to have it plated.but most time all u have to do is apply for a builders title for it at the licence branch and the police will come out and take pics of it.it helps if u know a cop

wilkin250r
01-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Or, just grind of the VIN numbers, and take it in as a homemade trailer.

Just be sure to touch-up the area that you ground away so it isn't blatently obvious.

popo
01-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Or, just grind of the VIN numbers, and take it in as a homemade trailer.

Just be sure to touch-up the area that you ground away so it isn't blatently obvious.

Thats called fraud. Try screwing any state out of BMV money and bubba the license plate maker in prision will make you his ******

01-10-2005, 07:18 PM
in most states if your trailer weighs under 4,000 pounds it doesn't need a title. just a bill of sale is all you need.

Quadfather
01-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Don't even mess with grinding the VIN numbers off. Take the trailer to get weighed, take the weigh slip to the BMV, and tell them it is a home made trailer. Tell them you would like to designate the VIN number as 0001. If they issue titles for trailers in your state, they will issue you one, if not, they will give you the registration and a plate for it.

I've done this about five times in the last couple of years for trailers that were given to me, but the owner had no idea where the title/registration was.

As long as the BMV gets to separate you from a few of your hard earned dollars, they could give a rats *****. As long as you aquired the trailer in a law abiding manner, and no one gets hurt in the process, you'll be fine, and no laws were broke. Bent maybe, but not broken.

meangreen400ex
01-10-2005, 08:45 PM
I don't know the laws in Indiana but I'll try taking it to the weigh station and doing that way

Woodsrider
01-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Call the DMV and ask. They will tell you what you need to do to get it licensed and titled in your name. The law is different in every state. Here in Washington st. every trailer gets plates no matter how big or small. If you can ride it, drive it, or tow it, the state gives it a title and taxes you for it:cuss:

big-guy
01-11-2005, 03:25 AM
If you put an orange triangle on the back and don't excede 30 mph you can call it a farm vehicle. :)

I have a utility trailer made out of an old apache pop top camping trailer, but the tags for it are insane, $36 a year when I might use it 4 times.

Everything seems to be a ripoff these days, they want over $100 to take a motorcycle safety course, and then extra for the endorsment, when the fine for riding without is $14. WTF?
It doesn't pay to be legit anymore. I'm considering a life of crime.

sickmojave
01-11-2005, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Quadfather
Don't even mess with grinding the VIN numbers off. Take the trailer to get weighed, take the weigh slip to the BMV, and tell them it is a home made trailer. Tell them you would like to designate the VIN number as 0001. If they issue titles for trailers in your state, they will issue you one, if not, they will give you the registration and a plate for it.

I have done that a few times.

popo
01-11-2005, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by GNCCer
in most states if your trailer weighs under 4,000 pounds it doesn't need a title. just a bill of sale is all you need.

My new trailer weighs 2500 lbs and came with a title. Ohio law states under 2000 lbs or over $4,000.00 because of the amount of trailer thefts. Especially enclosed landscape trailers

AtvMxRider
01-11-2005, 01:49 PM
In VA all trailers have to be titled

wilkin250r
01-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by popo
Thats called fraud. Try screwing any state out of BMV money and bubba the license plate maker in prision will make you his ******

Of course it's fraud. I'm not suggesting this is what you SHOULD do, I'm merely suggesting that this is an option for the less scrupulous. :devil:

What you SHOULD do (if you're sure it's not stolen) is drag the original owner down to the DMV with you and get it sorted out properly. If the trailer does not have a title, perhaps it does not need one. If the trailer DOES have a title, but it was lost, then have the original owner transfer the title to the buyer right then and there, and then pay the title fee.

01-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by popo
My new trailer weighs 2500 lbs and came with a title. Ohio law states under 2000 lbs or over $4,000.00 because of the amount of trailer thefts. Especially enclosed landscape trailers
Sorry I was just going by personal experiance. Teaches you to never beleive the 80 year old lady at the DMV. Did you finally get a trailer that's great! what did you get?

02ex
01-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by meangreen400ex
I don't know the laws in Indiana but I'll try taking it to the weigh station and doing that way

i am from indiana not far from u we.made a flat bed trailer from a boat trailer with no title we did what i told.we had to weld a plate on it with the new vin #'s or u can stamp them on the frame.

meangreen400ex
01-11-2005, 06:14 PM
hey 02ex you have a PM

02ex
01-11-2005, 07:46 PM
just wrote a novel on what to do ur pm box is full i am going to send u an email

meangreen400ex
01-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Thats weird my box only has two messages in it

meangreen400ex
01-11-2005, 08:28 PM
The sent folder was very full sorry