PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal???

MXRACER86
01-09-2005, 07:07 PM
I just bought a 2005 YFZ450. I took it to my local track for the first time to break in the motor. I just want to know is it normal for this quad to stall out sometimes while doing jumps? It seems like im in to high of a gear but im not. oh yea also this quad is not as fast as I thought it was going to be. I know it's stock but it's not that fast. And just to tell everybody about the stalling out problem , my quad is runninng fine except the stalling out sometimes problem. Maybe it's just because the quad is very new.

harescrambles
01-09-2005, 07:33 PM
you say its not as fast as you thought ?and its stalling some times? hmm maybe you could have left the choke on:D i dont know, i just got a 05 ,to me its amazingly fast,iv rode a few quads in my day but riding the yfz is it's selling point so i dont know...good luck on getting it fixed wished i could have helped

MXRACER86
01-09-2005, 07:40 PM
nope, I checked the choke. But good thinking. Can anybody help me???

blasterkid
01-09-2005, 09:06 PM
how can u tell if its fast or not if ur doing a normal break in?

intruder
01-10-2005, 05:14 AM
turn the idle up.

crayfz
01-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by intruder
turn the idle up.

What he said.
And take out the baffle.

KEN1
01-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Re-jet the bike. Its to lean from the factory.
Go to a:

45 pilot

4th clip needle

165 main jet

Rdogg450
01-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by MXRACER86
I just bought a 2005 YFZ450. I took it to my local track for the first time to break in the motor. I just want to know is it normal for this quad to stall out sometimes while doing jumps? It seems like im in to high of a gear but im not. oh yea also this quad is not as fast as I thought it was going to be. I know it's stock but it's not that fast. And just to tell everybody about the stalling out problem , my quad is runninng fine except the stalling out sometimes problem. Maybe it's just because the quad is very new.
I stalled mine alot when it was new..... Once you uncork these yfzs they come alive i know its hard to believe but they are detuned from the factory big time.:cool:

daddio
01-11-2005, 06:40 AM
pretend that you are riding a "2-stroke" such as a banshee, and you will do alot better.
correct jetting and turning the idle up also helps.
and if you want to gaurantee that you will never stall again....... buy a Rekluse clutch for it. We put one in my kids bike, and he flat hauls *** with it.

creechfan
01-13-2005, 06:48 AM
"Re-jet the bike. Its to lean from the factory.
Go to a:

45 pilot

4th clip needle

165 main jet"

can this work if you are still running a stock pipe with no mods done to it or the air box?

daddio
01-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by creechfan
"Re-jet the bike. Its to lean from the factory.
Go to a:

45 pilot

4th clip needle

165 main jet"

can this work if you are still running a stock pipe with no mods done to it or the air box?
165 might be a little rich for a stock pipe, and the air box lid on. I would go 155 - 160. either way, you do need bigger jets than what Yamaha puts in them. the worst thing you can do by running bigger jets is foul a plug, and if you do, go down 1 size.

dirtmomma
01-13-2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by daddio
pretend that you are riding a "2-stroke" such as a banshee, and you will do alot better.
correct jetting and turning the idle up also helps.
and if you want to gaurantee that you will never stall again....... buy a Rekluse clutch for it. We put one in my kids bike, and he flat hauls *** with it.

Lucky lil chit :D so he likes the Rekluse? That sounds pretty damn cool, guess they arean't the best for flattrack though, :( go figure LOL

maggiesboy
01-13-2005, 08:26 AM
Sounds like you have an issue of rider headspace overage. Learn to ride the machine, use the clutch, break it in , lean on that throttle. You won't be cryin about it being slow.

daddio
01-13-2005, 08:33 AM
When they are set up right, the Rekluse would work perfect for flat track. Imagine having the perfect balance between "weelspin" and doing a weelie on the start. Just hammer the throttle and it's like your shot out of a cannon. and then after you get going, you can run 1 gear taller than you would normally run.
Reed tried it at Wide open, (even though he hates flat track) and he was super fast, even without a swaybar and basicly a mx set up with flat track tires.
Don't get me wrong though......... I am an advocate of learning to use your clutch. and Reed is quite good at it. But the Rekluse will give you an "unfair" advantage, over everyone else.

400grl
01-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Straight from the factory they are ok, but do the cam mod, put on an ESR intake kit with filter and gut and chop your stock muffler, and you will have a WHOLE new machine......you WILL have to reject if you do what I just suggested......and it does like the high revs......:)

creechfan
01-14-2005, 11:45 AM
"165 might be a little rich for a stock pipe, and the air box lid on. I would go 155 - 160. either way, you do need bigger jets than what Yamaha puts in them. the worst thing you can do by running bigger jets is foul a plug, and if you do, go down 1 size."

if i leave my motor all stock with out making it richer, what will/is going to happen...if anything?

my YFZ runs sooooo dam good right now, i dont want to mess with the motor at all!!!

MXRACER86
01-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by maggiesboy
Sounds like you have an issue of rider headspace overage. Learn to ride the machine, use the clutch, break it in , lean on that throttle. You won't be cryin about it being slow.

Just to let you know I am in the Expert class in my district. I know how to ride. This isn't my first quad ya know!