PDA

View Full Version : dual exhaust sneak peek

roadthrills
01-09-2005, 05:44 PM
I spent just about all day today building pipes. Now the dual exhaust is mocked up and ready for full welding and finishing. Then it goes to get jet coated at my local powder coating place. I'll post pics of the pipes after they are done. I can't wait to hear what it will sound like! Let me know what you think.

roadthrills
01-09-2005, 05:46 PM
This will be the final resting place for the new mufflers.

hardkoratvmxr
01-09-2005, 05:53 PM
you should run a dyno with your stock pipe then run a dyno with your custom pipe and then if they add power make some and sell them

gutt_72
01-09-2005, 06:03 PM
your gonna have to make a crap load of extra power to compensate for dragging all that extra weight around!!:eek2:

Aceman
01-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Where are you planning to put the battery? In the airbox? Can you still operate the reverse lever or are you going to get a foot operated one? I'm curious to know how loud that will be when your finished. Also how do your remove the pipes from your quad, is there enough room in front of the engine to even take the duals back off since they are welded together?

DaleJrFan
01-09-2005, 08:03 PM
what kind of quad is your duels on?

speedy400
01-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Very well done, extra weight, I wouldnt worry about that... the scilencer cans look aluminum, so in the end it'll prolly be like 2 more lbs than stock... if that. I started the same project for my 400 about a year and 1/2 ago, had the scilencers and tubing and everything ready, till the guy that was going to bend it for me told me that he couldnt make that sharp of a bend off the head(the 180 degree bend). BTW, is that an R frame? whats all the mods you got on that beast? -darren

TheFontMaster
01-09-2005, 08:11 PM
It's ether a 300ex or a 250x, for whoever whas wondering what kind of quad it is. If it is a 250x then there is no battery because it's a kick start. If it's a 300ex, I'm qurious as to where the batery will go too.

gutt_72
01-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Very well done, extra weight, I wouldnt worry about that... the scilencer cans look aluminum, so in the end it'll prolly be like 2 more lbs than stock
2 pounds my ***!! That extra can by itself is at least 4-5 pounds!! Let alone the rest of the tubing!!
:huh

speedy400
01-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
It's ether a 300ex or a 250x, for whoever whas wondering what kind of quad it is. If it is a 250x then there is no battery because it's a kick start. If it's a 300ex, I'm qurious as to where the batery will go too.
oh yeah, didnt notice that, good point... kind of an odd idea to make a single exhaust port Y off to 2.... meh oh well.-darren

TheFontMaster
01-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by speedy400
oh yeah, didnt notice that, good point... kind of an odd idea to make a single exhaust port Y off to 2.... meh oh well.-darren

The new LTE exaust for the yfz and 450r are single exaust ports.

speedy400
01-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by gutt_72
2 pounds my ***!! That extra can by itself is at least 4-5 pounds!! Let alone the rest of the tubing!!
:huh
Well I'm going to guess the cans are just your average aluminum cased straight glass packs, my hmf(much larger than his) only like 4lbs, so his scilencers are maybe a total of 6-7 lbs, then the tubing guage(thickness) isnt very thick on exhausts.. so an extra 3 lbs tops on the extra tubing. then take in concideration the stock scilencer is a huge steel thing with tons of junk in it...-darren

roadthrills
01-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the comments. It is a '92 250x that I stripped to the frame and totally rebuilt. The total weight of the pipes and mufflers is about the same, or maybe less than the stock piece. The stock headpipe and muffler are very heavy. The motor is bored 2mm and stroked 4mm. I put in a wiseco 12:1 piston, new valves, a thorough port and polish, and the cam is advanced about 4 degrees, via the crankshaft sprocket. I'm also putting on an XR ignition, and I extended my swingarm and mounted an XR500 shock in the rear. Also I built the pipe so it doesn't interfere with the reverse lever, and I can still put a finger in to reach the choke. The pipe will have slip joints at the front so the side pipes will each come off seperate, and the front "rams horn" piece by itself.