PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket sizes

brighteyed
01-09-2005, 05:18 PM
I just got my new yfz 450 and took it out for the first time this weekend. I loved it but was not happy with the way second gear seemed to bog very easily. I ride mostly trails and was wondering how i should change my sprockets to make the bottom end a little snappier and bog down a little less. I heard somone suggest a 13 tooth front sprocket, Would this do the trick. LMK
Elijah

drgn_erth
01-11-2005, 06:34 PM
A 13t should do the trick. If not get a 40t rear sprocket but you will lose alot of top end.

Les Davis
01-13-2005, 10:11 PM
brighteyed, try YFZCentral.com and do a search. Lots of great info on sprocket set ups. Seems like 13t was the way to go for low end and 36/38 on the rear.

quadrcr87
01-14-2005, 01:21 PM
My suggestion to you is do some light modding first. after the cam mod, pipe, and air filter you shouldnt have a problem. Mine actually neads higher gearing now for mx. Most people i talk to lower the rear a couple teeth after mods. For trails and woods stock will work out great after raising power. the best part is the power is free.

Remove airbox lid
Do cam Mod
Remove spark arrestor
Rejet

01-14-2005, 02:57 PM
a couple things
i think dropping the front one tooth is a bit too much so I would drop both sprockes one tooth.

If you just got your YFZ wait till it is broke in. it will seem to have a bit more bottom end after that.

Buy a bottom end oriented pipe like HMF.

Personlly I like stock gearing

Bill Fuller
01-14-2005, 04:26 PM
[i]Originally posted by GNCCer

Personlly I like stock gearing Me to:macho

jbplayfz450
01-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Not arguing with you guys, but I like my 13t. It helps keep me from stalling, and when the green flag drops I'm already in second gear.

Quad18star
01-18-2005, 05:38 PM
I always confuse myself with gearing . Right now I have stock gearing but with 18s on the rear . I have the baffle removed and the air box lid off .

I find that I'm hitting the rev limiter way too quickly in all the gears . What gearing do you guys suggest for more open style riding . Like I ride pits and do fire roads . I don't want it to be a top end monster ... but I also don't want it geared for the MX track . What's a happy median ??

01-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I always confuse myself with gearing . Right now I have stock gearing but with 18s on the rear . I have the baffle removed and the air box lid off .

I find that I'm hitting the rev limiter way too quickly in all the gears . What gearing do you guys suggest for more open style riding . Like I ride pits and do fire roads . I don't want it to be a top end monster ... but I also don't want it geared for the MX track . What's a happy median ??

I have the 15t with the 18's and it works great. Almost everybody in my track has the same set-up.

brighteyed
01-19-2005, 08:47 PM
well i bought a 13t but havnt put it on yet. I plan on piping and rejetting before spring but i just got a week or so ago and dont have it fully broken in yet. As fas as taking the air box lid off we ride in allot of slop and i dont realy want to do that. I am going to experiement with a few things to find out what i like best. Thanks for all the advice tho.
Elijah