PDA

View Full Version : Taking off Plastics?

4LEAFCLOVER
01-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Just wondering is it hard to remove the plastics on the 450R? I'm just wondering because I'm wanting to apply my graphics kit on my quad but I'm located in Norfolk, Virginia and it's kinda cold here now and I heard that it wasn't to good of an idea to try and put them on in the cold weather. So I thought I might take the plastics off and apply them inside verses doing it outside. Any suggestions?

mikes450r
01-09-2005, 12:00 PM
no its not hard or time consuming...

bobbo97f150
01-09-2005, 12:56 PM
There are six bolts on the rear fender. Two under the seat and two on each side. The parts that go under the tank just pop out of the rubber gromets they are sitting in.

For the front fenders, there are six bolts also. Two in the gas tank on each side and one on each metal fender bracket under the fender. Then you have four of the plastic pins to remove, two under the hood and two under the headlight assembly. When re-installing the gas tank bolts for the fender, don't tighten them much at all, you would rather it rattle out then over tighten and break loose the nut in the plastic gas tank.

If you are taking off the gas tank, with the front fenders removed there is one bolt on each side, towards the front of the tank. There is also rubber bungy straps on each side holding it down to the frame. Don't forget to remove the fuel line going to the caruretor after turning the petcock to the off position. It's easier to remove the line from the tank than the carburetor. You may have to remove the little plastic "fuel switch position indicator" on the petcock to get to the hoseclamp holding the fuel line on. To do this, just unscrew the single screw in the center of the petcock knob.

4LEAFCLOVER
01-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks alot for all of the info on how to properly do this. Just one thing is it easier to put the graphics on with the plastics on the bike or with them off the bike? Because I really want to put them on without having to remove all the plastics. But I read in one of the forums that it's not such a good idea to try and apply them in cold weather. I might just wait until we get a fairly warm day over here and then have at it. Any idea what a good outside temp should be to try and tackle this job? What do you think about that?

bobbo97f150
01-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Sorry, I live in Southeast Texas and it's pretty hot down here. I have never installed a graphics kit and have never heard about warm or cold weather affecting them. Maybe someone else can help you on that one. If you can wait till tomorow, call the company that makes the kit you have and see what they say.

4LEAFCLOVER
01-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks alot man. I think I will do that tomorrow. Good riding!!!!!

bobbo97f150
01-09-2005, 01:24 PM
No problem, good luck.

dunebuggie66
01-09-2005, 05:33 PM
in order for the graphics to adhere to the plastic properly i wouldn't put them on in anything less than 50 and sunny. if you have a day where it is going to hit 50 and be sunny, put them on in the morning and let the quad sit in the sun for the rest of the day. a blowdrier would help too. i live in central ny and we aren't getting above 25 lately so i would definately take mine inside to do it. just to make sure they're on there right and not going to come off.

turboTony
01-09-2005, 09:29 PM
if it's a graphics/seat cover combo, Make sure you do the seat first so it all lines up nice.

4LEAFCLOVER
01-10-2005, 06:09 AM
Nah it's not a graphic/seat combo. I got an Custom XGX graphics kit and a regular black seat cover. I think I'm going to wait until we have another warm day up here and then do it. Or I might take it over on base and do it at the Hobby Shop because they have individual stalls I can rent out (for free) with open and closing doors on them. I might do that, but the only thing about that is everyone will be aggrevating me while I'm trying to get it done. Well I guess I'll just wait until we get another warm day and do it outside. Because I just don't want to take off my plastics. Thanks alot fellas for the info. Good Riding!!!!!!

dunebuggie66
01-10-2005, 08:34 AM
you should take you r plastics off every once in a while to clean anyway, why not start now. it really only takes about 5 minutes to do.

robman
01-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Yep its got to be warm,get the plastic good and clean then spray a fine mist of water on there so you can adjust for mistakes.Keep the finished plastic inside for a couple of days away from the cold.Seat covers can be pain unless you got a heat gun to get the rubber to expand enough.