PDA

View Full Version : What is the stock gearing on the 450r

hapychap
01-09-2005, 06:04 AM
Greetings to ya all,

Happy new year.

I have had the oportunity to race against a DS650 on a sand straight on 2 occasions now and whipped his butt and I carry a good 20kgs on him. The guy is really sore about it.

Anyway to get back to the purpose of this thread, what is the standard sprocket gearing on a stock 450r and has anyone increased a tooth on the front?

Will this give me a little more top end without loosing any torque or over straining the motor? :confused:

:D No doubt I will get some abuse, but bring it on, with the new year and all, I feel that I am up to it. hehehehe :macho

the Z Man
01-09-2005, 08:40 AM
New Dirt Wheels has an article on this, I think the best top speed was stock 14/38 gearing with 22" tires with the 15 front it wouldn't pull 5th gear...

WhiteZee
01-09-2005, 12:09 PM
i would think a 15t front would be way to much for a stock bike to pull. i would think you would atleast need a HC stage 2 cam, and the hrc would be out of the question.

hapychap
01-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Sorry people,

Forgot to mention that I have the HRC kit installed so I am not sure if that would make it a stage II cam?

And I did replace the complete exhaust and pipe, was not happy with just the end cap from the HRC kit. (T4 I think) Honda add ons are scarce in these parts so you take what you get unless you have patience to wait and order over the net. :rolleyes:

I may just mention that I am a very heavy rider but the 450 is awesome and just keeps pulling. On some of the harder flats that we ride over from time to time I wish there was a 6th gear because it certainly feels as if it could do with one.

I have also been thinking that maybe a CDI would be another option?? Although I am not too happy with very high revving engines ( just a personal thing :( ) What CDI would be an option? I was reading another post elsewhere on EXRIDERS and a comment was made that any CDI under $400 was not worth it although that would make it very expensive so the gains in performance would have to be considerable to make it worth it??

You just got to understand, the guy on the DS650 :mad: is changing tires and sprockets and is seriously miffed that I pulled him on the straight :D and even though with the 200cc extra he has I would be a fool to think I can keep staying ahead of him, but lets face it, it is going to be fun ;) making it more difficult for him and I am certainly going to enjoy watching his facial expressions and listen to his excuses until he does :devil: :p

Thanks again for any help and the replies posted already.

Martin Blair
01-10-2005, 11:19 AM
15 is way to tall. 14/38 is stock i run 13/38 for xc.

Thump_It
01-10-2005, 12:47 PM
The Stage 2 cam is a cam made by Hot Cams. Now are you guys racing for all out top speed? I guess if it were me I'd just go to 22in rear tires. Also, if you haven't already, take off your airbox lid and rejet....lets the motor breath much better. The Vortex CDI is $400. This CDI has different settings allowing you to adjust your power curve and where you want the power to hit. I've heard nothing but good things about that CDI. I don't know of many others. Good luck with your decisions. Also, search on this website for answers, chances are anything you want to know has been answered here before. Take care.;)