PDA

View Full Version : Anyone run a small dry shot in a sealed airbox??

OH2400ex
01-08-2005, 09:49 PM
I have a nice little NOS dry kit and am thinking of spraying a small jet into my sealed airbox (10hp). Only mods are 152 Jet, Slip On, & K&N on my 02 400ex. Didnt know if anyone has done this or if everybody goes wet.

Warnerade
01-09-2005, 10:00 AM
your going to put nitrous on a bike, with those mods?

01-09-2005, 11:02 AM
what activates it?how much was it? i have the same setup w/a cam and 416 kit,would it work w/my setup?

wilkin250r
01-09-2005, 11:38 AM
I don't ever suggest injecting nitrous only.

Nitrous is not a fuel. By itself, it will not burn, it will not explode. When nitrous oxide is compressed and heated (as it would inside your cylinder) it breaks down into it's two components, nitrogen and oxygen.

The theory is very simple. By adding nitrous oxide, when it breaks down, you are adding oxygen. With more available oxygen, you can burn more fuel, and thus create more power. The trick is, however, you NEED to add more fuel. Simply adding nitrous without fuel only adds oxygen, which makes your mixture very lean.

As you probably know, lean is bad.

There is no way you can add 10hp simply by leaning out your mixture. If you add just nitrous (without fuel) you will see a little bit of power increase, right up until your piston seizes inside your cylinder. Then you'll have no power, and a hefty repair bill.

mattonln
01-09-2005, 05:39 PM
yes, as he said, it increases air density and shoves more air into your cylinder... this works great with fuel injection because you EFI compensates automatically, but with a carb, it will just run extremely lean and blow up.... most people I've seen with NOS on their bikes have a special carb or EFI.... anyways, no, it will not work with the current mods...

450ar
01-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Efi i will not compensate automaticly. The way the dry kits work for car is the no2 kit comes with a device to block the return on the fuel system causing the fuel psi to rise, allowing more fuel to be injected with the same amount of injector pluse width. And on car with return less fuel systems they have a relay that sends max power to the varible speed fuel pump. Efi dose compensate for smalll changes in the a/f mixture, but it doesnt react fast enough. It knows the A/F mixture isnt right by the voltage comming from the o2 sensor. And the slowly adjust short term fuel trim untill it reaches +10 or - 10 then it will start to adjust long term fuel trim untill the short term starts to switch between +2 to - 2 . This takes time, more then a enough time to blow up your motor. Plus at wide open throttle its uses a preset fuel amount based on rpm,air temp,manifold vacum (map)
or air flow in grams per second (maf ) and ect. So the only way the computer know you impoperly injected no2 is when the rpm drops because you blew a hole in the pistons. I am not talking from what i read in a hot rod mag. But what i learn form putting cars on the dyno.

OH2400ex
01-09-2005, 07:11 PM
For whomever asked I have a small 2lb Nitrous bottle and will activate the kit with a WOT switch and I have a single solenoid. Reason I was thinking about something very very small is that I ride with 2 buds 2 with 400ex's and one with a YFZ and the 400's will walk mine bad in all drag racing both from digs and rolls(mine needs a rebuild I guess) so I thought I may surprise them one night when riding and doing some drag racing, the kit is so small and so easily hidden they would never know. I figured if I fogged a small shot into the airbox and not directly into the filter that it may pick the bike up just enought to make them think WTF????:) I also have some 100 unleaded at my disposal to help aid the safety factor if you will.

atvracr350
01-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Well i know that it worked on a predator that lives around my house. The guy had the same setup as you slip on and k&n and all that and it seemed to work well with him and he hasn't had any problems yet. Im not saying that it will work for you but i know this guy has been running it and hasn't had any problems. Then again i don't know exactly what he has done to his carb i just looked at the filter, exhaust and nos bottle in his airbox.

OH2400ex
01-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Is he spraying into the the filter or just spraying into the airbox and let the filter suck it in??

plkmonster2
01-11-2005, 10:43 AM
He has to have it in the air intake. Just shooting it in the air box is bad...too lean, and it will just push it out the snorkel. If you want nitrous, a wet shot is way better. (More fuel, and nitrous= more power)

wilkin250r
01-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Not only will many people here attest to my credentials, but if you do a search for "nitrous" you will find me in almost every thread.

I'm telling you, simply adding nitrous oxide gas will give you very small gains, and is VERY likely to destroy your motor.

Nitrous oxide by itself will not add power, it only adds more oxygen. But do you put oxygen into your gas tank? No, you put FUEL in your gas tank. Burning FUEL is what adds power. With more oxygen, you can burn more fuel.

Nitrous oxide is not a big deal. It's simple to install, it's simple to use. If you have the enough technical ability to rebuild your carb, then you have the ability to install and use nitrous. But your proposal of a simple nitrous jet in your airbox WILL NOT WORK.

If you have a nitrous bottle and a nitrous solenoid, then you're easily over half way there. All you need is a fuel solenoid, a nozzle, and tubing and electronics to tie it all together. With enough research into the subject, you can probably put together a working system for less than $50.

But the whole point of this long post is, a bottle and one solenoid ain't gonna cut the mustard.

OH2400ex
01-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the info, I may just hold on the spray idea and try getting my quad to run with the others on pure motor. When i need some more info on the spray I will shoot ya a pm wilkin.