PDA

View Full Version : Best beadlocks?

Jonas
01-08-2005, 08:51 PM
I'm looking to buy some new beadlocks for riding at my mx track. I am thinking of going with black together w/ 19x6x10 front tires and 18x11x9 rear tires. I am looking to reduce my number of flat rear tires from dirt getting in the sidewall. What have you had success with?

smith_400ex_213
01-08-2005, 10:26 PM
if thats all u do is perdy much do mx then get some 8" wheels instead of the 9's....wut i run is the douglas black label in a james lucky beadlock adn reinforcing ring...best and strongest of the buck...IMO...that or get some HiPers..kinda expensive though

maskale
01-08-2005, 11:08 PM
I got some hipers front and back, and I am happy with them. Most people also run 20" up front and like smith said 8" wheel in the rear for MX.

01-09-2005, 09:19 AM
i get to pick up my 8 inche hipers tomarrow there the best if u can aford them imo....why is it so important to have 8 inche wheels for mx...so u dont bottom out as easy?

maskale
01-09-2005, 11:19 AM
If you get 10" you will have more stability in the corners but your ride will be rougher. So 8" will give you more cushin for the hard landings. My digital camera can take 32 shots per second, so I had a friend take a pic. of me jumping and on the pic. of my landing with my suspension fully compressed my tires were almost compressed all the way to the rim, so the 8" will help with this by allowing more tire to be compressed.

TC426EX
01-10-2005, 10:04 AM
I like the Champion and OMF Scalloped beadlocks..

Douglas shamrock or ultimates would be my 2nd choice...

Whatever you go with, forget about the 10in. rears for MX, the 8in. is MUCH better...
I also reccomend you go with a 20in. front tire instead of the 19's...

Jonas
01-10-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm just trying to keep the lowest center of gravity as possible. I have seen alot of people use the 20's on the front and I may also. I already have the 19's though and am probably going to buy a trx450r in the future. I am considering the fact that people say that the 450r has a bit of a light front end while jumping. Possibly if I keep the 19's on the front this may help a little. I probably will go with the 8's in the rear because of the better suspension factor but was considering 9's because of their better turning ability.

I just ride my own private track and never race competitively except for friends at my track. The track is built for quads and the landings are all perfect landings. Jumps range from 15 to 50 in lenght so far. Thanks for the input so far!

Jonas
01-10-2005, 12:24 PM
hiper tech. seems to recommend 18x11x10's which i already have and like except for the flat tires I get. i would like to get 10" rear beadlocks to match the tires I have but I want to reduce my flat tires.

Jonas
01-17-2005, 08:10 PM
Anymore thoughts on hiper 10" rear rims?

maskale
01-17-2005, 08:30 PM
What do you mean by flat tire?

If you mean your tires are leaking around the bead because of dirt getting in there then bead locks will solve that.

If you are hitting stuff and cutting your side wall against the rim, then those 10" wheels are part of the problem.

You need to get some 8" wheels for MX. I don't think you will notice the difference between the 10 and 8 as far as turning goes.

Get some Maxxis Razr MX tires 20X10X6 for the front and 18X10X8 for the rear.

Jonas
01-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Good info.

I am getting flats because of dirt in the sidewall.

It seems as though most people like 8's in the rear and it makes sense as to why. It seems to me like 10's sure make corning much easier for me.

Reading hipers-tech's blurb (www.hiper-technology.com)
[in the FAQ section for mx] on 10" rears makes me think in over again. With their rims they say that the extra weight loss you have with a 18x11x10 tire will help your suspension to perform better. I would think that this would be especially helpfull over woops and rough terrian. They say "let your tire do what it is meant to do and your suspension do what it is meant for."

Anyone else tried the 10 rears in competition and liked or disliked them?

poone1
01-20-2005, 07:10 AM
I am new so please dont flame me!!!!! So Beadlock help prevent flats? Is this a race thing or is it nessasary for trail riding?
:confused:

beak7707
01-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Hipers are great, they look great and will take one hell of a beating. Also if you do manage to somehow break one you can replace the broken part you dont have to buy the whole rim.

NacsMXer
01-22-2005, 01:45 PM
I run Hiper 9x9 dual beadlocks in the rear and I can't be more satisfied with their performance in MX. You get the handling of a 10 inch rim, and the cushion of an 8 inch rim without the sacrifices of each one. Also the dual beadlocks that Hiper offers makes mounting and dismounting the tires a piece of cake! I actually mounted my rears in my bedroom with only a small screwdriver and a little WD-40. :blah: